44 Special Load Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dwayne

Single-Sixer
I know that, like the 45 Colt, the 44 Special is especially sensitive to crimp. As a reference point, how much crimp are you using on your most accurate 44 Special loads -- that is, the o.d. dimension at the case mouth after crimping. Thanks in advance for your help.

Rclark

Hunter
Hmmm, I never found the .45 Colt or .44Spec to 'sensitive' to crimp and I've shot a lot of both. I crimp into the crimp groove (not heavy) and all is well.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
THAT O.D. measurement would depend entirely on the depth of the cannalure. IN 50 years of loading tens of thousands on 44SPL and 45COLT I have NEVER found either cartridge to be " especially sensitive to crimp " as you roll the case mouth into the cannalure [ the case mouth should be about .005" below the top of the crimp groove before crimping ] and you are done with it. ALL get the same crimp, light loads or heavy loads it is all the same; I saw this in the ballistics lab.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Only time I've been interested with either of those two cartridges was with heavy loads, to prevent bullet pull.

And, with the new .44 Magnum, don't use heavy .44 Special loads anymore. :roll: :wink: :roll: :wink:

Bob Wright

Wyocaddis

Bearcat
WIL TERRY said:
THAT O.D. measurement would depend entirely on the depth of the cannalure. IN 50 years of loading tens of thousands on 44SPL and 45COLT I have NEVER found either cartridge to be " especially sensitive to crimp " as you roll the case mouth into the cannalure [ the case mouth should be about .005" below the top of the crimp groove before crimping ] and you are done with it. ALL get the same crimp, light loads or heavy loads it is all the same; I saw this in the ballistics lab.

+1 I find its more important that all cases are trimmed to same length. Then ali loads have the same amount of crimp

DonD

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
ALL get the same crimp, light loads or heavy loads it is all the same; I saw this in the ballistics lab.

A crimp that will hold a light load may allow bullet pull with a heavy load in guns like .454s and .500 Mags. Determining exactly how much crimp to use has always been an issue for me although I've never had bullet pull in any of my ammo. With my .500 Mags, I do use a lighter crimp with Trail Boss plinking loads as compared with medium heavy to heavy loads. Don

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I just use a firm crimp when loading any cast or jacketed bullet. That amount of crimp is hard to convey and measurements don`t mean much due to differences in bullet diameter and case thickness from one brand or batch to another.
I use Lee factory crimp dies to crimp all pistol rounds and crimp as a separate step from bullet seating. You can adjust the LFCD to give any amount of crimp you like.
One good way to tell if you are getting the right amount is to shoot some thus.....
Load a cylinder full and only shoot 5 of them, mark the one you did not shoot. Now reload and shoot 5 more just the same way leaving that marked round unfired. If after 15 rounds have been fired that test rounds bullet has not moved from its original position, you have plenty of crimp on it.
Some slow burning powders will want a heavy crimp to help to get a clean burn and lower SD`s and increase velocity. 2400 is one that comes to mind.
Have fun!!!

dwayne

Single-Sixer
Thanks, all. That really was a dumb question I asked without telling you which bullet I was loading. I appreciate the kind replies. BTW, I'm just applying a firm crimp right behind the forward band as Will Terry mentions. FWIW, my Colt SAA 45 Colt is crimp sensitive when working up the most accurate loads.