44 mags - Super Redhawk vs Bisley Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jrc270

Bearcat
I currently own only double action revolvers (SRH, GP100, etc) but saw a Bisley Hunter today that really caught my eye.

No one at the LGS had experience shooting both the SRH and Bisley hunter so...

if anyone has shot both of these guns what was your opinion as far as grip function and felt palm recoil ? My SRH is a 7.5" with the old style grip as I don't care for the Hogues. My hands fit the Bisley Grip style better than the plow.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hugh3006

Bearcat
I would love to see a response to this comment. I have purchased a Ruger Redhawk 44 and paid cash 4 months ago. I am getting frustrated as the Redhawk apparently has not been made yet so I am in a waiting game. I have seen them on Gun Broker used, however, I want a new one. I too saw a Ruger Bisley Hunter at a local shop NIB and I am ready to get it($653). I will at least have a Ruger 44 that I can blast away with. I look at it this way, how can one have too many Rugers? I have got two Ruger 22 pistols, one Ruger P85, one 10/22. one Sp101, one Gp100 and a Bisley 357 with white grips.
Lets see some comparisons with a lot of comments.

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
For ME, the Bisley Grip is much more comfortable for heavy recoil, especially with a set of BearPaw grips from fellow forum member gooseman179.

Your results may vary.
Kevin

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
"My hands fit the Bisley Grip style better than the plow."
There you go. Many if not most feel that the Bisley grip is preferable for handling recoil.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I own several Rugers. Including a few Redhawks, a Super Redhawk, several Bisleys, etc. I enjoy them all. (And no, Hugh3006, you can not have too many Rugers.)
Silent Sam said it very well,,, if it fits you, get it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
As far as DA's go, the SRH is a good one for handling recoil. Although nothing is more comfortable for me than a Bisley with proper custom grips.

57Frontier

Single-Sixer
I prefer the feel of the bisley as well. Another factor for me was the fact that 9 times out of 10 I shoot single action anyway even with a double action revolver, so for me the bisley blackhawk wins out over the redhawk.

I'm partial to SA revolvers little bias here, Cannot go wrong with the Super BlackHawk Hunter comes with scope rings!
The SBH is also very good and comes in different barrel lengths but no scope ring

Both revolvers come in Plow Handle as well as Bisley grip frame. ps

s4s4u

Hunter
Having a 480R Super Redhawk and a 45 Colt Bisley, I can say for certainty that the Super Redhawk with the Hogue Tamer grip is the easier shooting of the two with max loads, even though the SRH is throwing a 75 grain heavier bullet. The SA trigger of the SRH is as good, if not better than the Bisley. On the basis of size and weight the Bisley wins out, but I actually shoot better with the SRH.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I find the Redhawk and Bisley grip to feel kinda the same at least compared to the plow handle grips. I use a tight hold and I hold a little low on the Redhawk grip so the backstrap doesn't hit me in the web between the thumb and index finger. I find it easier and more pleasant to shoot heavy loads with the Bisley. I definitely don't care for the Hogue grip on the Redhawk as it is way too wide for me. :D

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I also have those as Jimbo357mag pictured. I have a plow handled SBH Hunter also . The felt recoil ,to me,is less with either Bisley or plow handled SBH`s than with the factory gripped Red Hawk. I replaced the RH grip with a Hogue grip and now they all seem to be about the same as far as recoil goes.
I like the looks of the factory RH grip but it just don`t fit my hand like either the Bisley or the Hunter plow handle grips do.

Yermo

Single-Sixer
I have both, and my SRH also wears the old style wood insert grips. Having shot a lot of heavy hunting loads from both I still can't tell which one feels more comfortable. I guess, both are, unless you go North of 1500 f/sec. Of course, it changes from gun to gun, but I have noticed that in my case the SA trigger pull on the SRH is quite a bit lighter than the Bisley's. Other than that the guns feel remarkably similar, particularly if you only shoot the SRH in single action.
To differentiate between the two I put a scope on the Bisley Hunter to shoot it off the bench or from a sitting position only, and do it from the distances exceeding 25 yards, while leaving the SRH as is for shorter ranges and double action use.
The Super Redhawk is a great gun, and I'm fortunate to have it not just in .44 Magnum, but also in .480 Ruger and .454 Casull. Of course, no single action revolvers are offered in those calibers by Ruger yet, or I would have been out another $1,500 tomorrow.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Yermo said:
The Super Redhawk is a great gun, and I'm fortunate to have it not just in .44 Magnum, but also in .480 Ruger and .454 Casull. Of course, no single action revolvers are offered in those calibers by Ruger yet, or I would have been out another $1,500 tomorrow.
That would be the Super Redhawk Trifecta wouldn't it? :D :D :D :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
Yermo said:

That would be the Super Redhawk Trifecta wouldn't it? :D :D :D :D

Hey ! I got That trifecta too !

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yermo said:
Of course, no single action revolvers are offered in those calibers by Ruger yet, or I would have been out another $1,500 tomorrow.

There's no Ruger SA 44 Magnums ? :shock:

REV

Nowata

Single-Sixer
I have a Bisley SBHH...from the factory the trigger is crisp...it was easy to find a "sweet spot" hunting load using hardcast...very little muzzle-flip(the design of Bisley grip). I have to admit my hunting loads are just warm to hot Sp. loads. Since I started shooting HC bullets, I have yet to find a bullet in a deer...still thumb-sized holes.

Latest posts