.44 Mag --- Hornady 300gr XTP with H110

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Hi guys, I'm working on finding a load with the referenced components to find a load that will be a good hunting round for my 9.5" SRH and two of my carbines (99/44 & 96/44). I may also shoot it in the older 44 Carbine, but don't have high expectations with its 1/38" twist.

I shot a batch that I loaded with 18.4 grains of H110 and noticed zero signs of pressure issues. The recoil was surprisingly mild in the carbine and SRH. This is the maximum recommended load for carbines in my Hornady manual, but it shows 20.1 grains of H110 as the max load for handguns with the 300 grain XTP.

I would like to work up to 19.5 grains of H110 to see how it groups, but wanted to see if some of you more experienced reloaders have had any experience with this round and powder? I'm kind of surprised at how much of a difference there is between the handgun loading and the carbine loading. I realize the velocities would be considerably higher in the carbines, but didn't expect that much of a pressure differential.

Note: I trim all cases to 1.275",,, using WLPP primers,,,, and load to 1.605" total length

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The latest online data at Hodgdon show a start load of 18.0gr of H110 and a max load of 19.0gr with that 300gr XTP bullet.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Some of the old data books I've seen usually have stronger loads for a rifle than for a revolver. I know my Deerfield likes a heavy load and won't work reliably with any lighter loads. :D

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
The latest online data at Hodgdon show a start load of 18.0gr of H110 and a max load of 19.0gr with that 300gr XTP bullet.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Some of the old data books I've seen usually have stronger loads for a rifle than for a revolver. I know my Deerfield likes a heavy load and won't work reliably with any lighter loads. :D

Yeah, I expected the rifle load to accept more powder, not considerably less than the pistol. I think I'm going to make up a batch with 19 grains of h110 and see how it does.

Thanks, once again, Jimbo!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I also saw that in my new Hodgdon data and saw the Hornady data. I think it's Hornady wanting to limit that bullet to 1400 fps do to terminal ballistics of that bullet design.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
I also saw that in my new Hodgdon data and saw the Hornady data. I think it's Hornady wanting to limit that bullet to 1400 fps do to terminal ballistics of that bullet design.

That's a good point and very likely the reason for difference.

I did find a few reports of the 240 gr xtp breaking up on impact, but I haven't seen a single report of the 300 xtp breaking up on impact. This one of the reasons I wanted to go with the 300's. We have a lot of big hogs where I hunt so I'll likely get an opportunity to see how they hold up.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I've had professional and personal/paying customer involvement with Hornady for a lot of years, those guys pretty much know what they're doing.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
I did find a few reports of the 240 gr xtp breaking up on impact, but I haven't seen a single report of the 300 xtp breaking up on impact. This one of the reasons I wanted to go with the 300's. We have a lot of big hogs where I hunt so I'll likely get an opportunity to see how they hold up.

If you want a tough as nails jacketed 44 bullet try the Hornady 265 grain soft point. Made for the 444 Marlin and really doubt there is anything in the US that it will break up on. Took some out once at 50 yards and ran them through 6" thick seasoned hardwood and they blew through and went another 8" into the dirt. Recovered 2 of them and they measured .850 in diameter and still weighed about 240 grains. Forp deer they just keep on goin like a hardcast bullet and should do a fine job on hogs.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
My hunting load for my Super Redhawk is 20.0 gr. of Win 296 (same powder as H110) and the Hornady 300 gr. XTP. It puts five slugs into two inches at 100 yards. (That is benched and wearing its 2.5-7 power scope.) It is stout, and will loosen up some of the other guns on the market with extended use, but I've shot almost 700 of them through my 7 1/2" SR with zero discernible wear...cylinder gap, endshake, and rotational play are the same as the day I got her. The only downside is the muzzle flash. I took a shot about 15 minutes after sundown once and all I could see for the next five minutes was purple spots!

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I would think 19.5grs. of H110 behind a 300gr. XTP should be safe to shoot it any 44mag gun. Pistol or rifle.

"I did find a few reports of the 240 gr xtp breaking up on impact,"
Son uses that bullet in a sabot in his .50 muzzleloader at close to 2000fps muzzle velocity. I've seen the results of it hitting deer from 100 to 200 yards w/o any sign of breakup.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
"I did find a few reports of the 240 gr xtp breaking up on impact,"
Son uses that bullet in a sabot in his .50 muzzleloader at close to 2000fps muzzle velocity. I've seen the results of it hitting deer from 100 to 200 yards w/o any sign of breakup.

Is he getting complete passthroughs or is it stopping on the opposite side?

After successfully shooting ballistic tips for many years in a 7mm Mag, I'm looking to go back to a deeper penetrating bullet after trailing an 8pt last year throughout a night. It was a well placed quartering away shot, but the bullet pretty much exploded in the rib cage creating quite a mess and a long tracking job. I've seen the bullet fragment like that on prior occasions as well which doesn't give me a great feeling, but I've been fortunate and never lost an animal. We are also overrun with large hogs which a heavier, deeper penetrating, bullet will be better suited for.

stevemb

Hunter
I think the 240gr XTP have been improved, but you are not wrong to err on the side of penetration. Maybe research the 300 MP powder,

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I know I've loaded 240 XTP's to the max & shot them into a stack of magazines & the jacket will separate. But a stack magazines are pretty tuff.
Another good penetrating jacketed bullet is Sierra's 300gr. flat point.

"Is he getting complete passthroughs or is it stopping on the opposite side?"
The last kill was at almost 200 yards and was full penetration. On some of the closer kills, the bullet was under the skin on the far side. Either way, once the bullet has passed through the boiler room, the follow up is short.
Everyone has their own performance parameters but I've had more problems with failure to expand than with failure to penetrate. In addition, I've never shot a hog(except in the brain with a 22lr) but I've seen an exceptional number of advocates of "varmint type" bullets(even in .224) doing an acceptable job on them. I'm beginning to think they're not as tough as described as long as you don't take quartering on shots.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
"Is he getting complete passthroughs or is it stopping on the opposite side?"
The last kill was at almost 200 yards and was full penetration. On some of the closer kills, the bullet was under the skin on the far side. Either way, once the bullet has passed through the boiler room, the follow up is short.
Everyone has their own performance parameters but I've had more problems with failure to expand than with failure to penetrate. In addition, I've never shot a hog(except in the brain with a 22lr) but I've seen an exceptional number of advocates of "varmint type" bullets(even in .224) doing an acceptable job on them. I'm beginning to think they're not as tough as described as long as you don't take quartering on shots.

Appreciate the feedback. That's what I was curious about. I'd have no issues shooting the 240 grain xtp, but I had 200 of the 300 trainers already. Surprisingly, the recoil is milder with the 300 grain bullet than with the lighter faster rounds.

Hogs are definitely tough critters, but if you head shoot them they drop in their tracks. I've always shot them at the base of their ear and it anchors them instantly.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
SweetWilliam said:
I know I've loaded 240 XTP's to the max & shot them into a stack of magazines & the jacket will separate. But a stack magazines are pretty tuff.

Were you shooting them with a handgun or a carbine? Carbines seem to deliver 30+% velocity over the handguns from what I'm seeing

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
SweetWilliam said:

Were you shooting them with a handgun or a carbine? Carbines seem to deliver 30+% velocity over the handguns from what I'm seeing
In a handgun at about 15yrds. But like someone said above I've also seen quite a few not expand.

Steve in PA

Bearcat
I've been shooting 300's with 20.0 grains of H110 out of my SRH for many years. No signs of over pressure. My SRH wears a scope and a 5-shot group at 100 yards will easily fall into a 3" group, often better if I can really do my part.