Votes: 3 13.0%
  • CZ P-01

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • CZ Rami

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

modrifle3

Buckeye
Send your p89 back to Ruger. Last I checked barrels and slides were still available. It should shoot no more than 3" groups using black hills fmj ammo to be acceptable. I sent my p345 back and they sighted and tested in a ransom rest. It shot less than 2" at 25 yards.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
Send your p89 back to Ruger. Last I checked barrels and slides were still available. It should shoot no more than 3" groups using black hills fmj ammo to be acceptable. I sent my p345 back and they sighted and tested in a ransom rest. It shot less than 2" at 25 yards.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll do it. I thought I'd hit the end of the line with Ruger's initial reply that "It's a service grade pistol and the groups you report are well within our tolerances."

Perhaps if they have the gun physically in their hands, and accept my challenge to test it, they'll tighten things up.

I really do like the pistol's absolute reliability.

Fatdaddy

Single-Sixer
I'd get a 3rd Gen Glock 22 or 23 for the following reasons:
-high capacity
-reliability
-very durable finish
-holster and aftermarket parts everywhere and cheap
-cheap mags
-decent out of the box trigger, easily improved with a Ghost or Lone Wolf connector
-you can change to 357sig with nothing more than a $100 barrel change
-you can change to 9mm with nothing more than a $100 barrel change and a $20 magazine
-accurate

(Too bad the SR40 or 40c wasn't out at the time of the OP)

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Fatdaddy said:
I'd get a 3rd Gen Glock 22 or 23 for the following reasons:
-high capacity
-reliability
-very durable finish
-holster and aftermarket parts everywhere and cheap
-cheap mags
-decent out of the box trigger, easily improved with a Ghost or Lone Wolf connector
-you can change to 357sig with nothing more than a $100 barrel change
-you can change to 9mm with nothing more than a $100 barrel change and a $20 magazine
-accurate

(Too bad the SR40 or 40c wasn't out at the time of the OP)

Thanks for the Glock suggestions. I'm afraid I've been "spoiled away" from them, though.

The P89 accuracy problem will either get fixed, or I'll sell it and use the proceeds on another of my new favorites - a CZ.

While kicking tires for a 40 S&W, I spotted a CZ 75B in the dealers' cabinet. I didn't know anything about it. But, as I looked at other 40 cal offerings (some over twice the price), I kept going back to look at the CZ. I was captivated by its workmanship, fit & finish - as well as some unique things about its design.

One was the narrower profile and tighter fit afforded by CZ running the slide inside the frame instead of the typical "outside and over" the frame design.

The other was the CZ's unique rear lock-up scheme in which a lug protruding from the rear of the chamber positively locks into a hole in the face of the bolt (or receiver if you like). Lockup in battery was better than any other 40 that I inspected.

When I got home I hit the web to learn about CZ. Needless to say I came away impressed.

I went back and bought the CZ - and no regrets. Friends that own Glocks, and have shot my CZ 75B, have offered to trade me any two of their Glocks.

[This is not Glock-bashing. I know they are good guns and give them credit where credit is due.]

I'm now making acquaintance with my second CZ, a 97B in 45 ACP. Wow! So far, I'm lovin' it.

So, if the Ruger P89 can't be redeemed, I'll likely consider a CZ (model undecided) in 9mm.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
My CZ 97B:

DSCN0277_zps3e5ff658.jpg

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
soldernut said:
I'm now making acquaintance with my second CZ, a 97B in 45 ACP. Wow! So far, I'm lovin' it.

Blued or Black Polycoat? I have have a blued one, I really like it.

A nice black polycoat - same as my 75B; gorgeous pistols, both.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Fatdaddy said:
Another excellent choice.
I have a 75bd polycoat and it's one of my favorites, a little heavy for carry but for nightstand or range use it's the ta-tas.

You got it!

Mine's for range use and other shooters are unanimously flabbergasted at it's accuracy when I let them shoot it.

Many of them shoot it far better than I can (unless I use a bench rest), and I never cease to be amazed at their first ten-shot groups where you can count onyl five or six overlapping holes - the other four or five having passed through missing paper.

I love the way it feels; hefty but balanced; what you get from a properly designed, all-steel pistol. And such a natural pointer.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
My CZ 97B:

DSCN0277_zps3e5ff658.jpg
Looks just like mine.

I love the way CZ sculpts that curve from below the back of the trigger guard, then radiauses it up and forward into the dust cover. It's a nice cosmetic treatment that bespeaks the workmanship, fit and finish you find all over the rest of the gun. All over all their guns, actually.

I hope the rest of the shooting world fails to discover CZ anytime soon, so I can buy a few more before their prices reflect what they're actually worth!

Bill0157

Bearcat
:) I like the CZ model pistols. Some of you spoke about the P-06, I shot the CZ75P07 duty in 40 S&W. Great shooter and low recoil and like any other CZ reliable and accuracy out of this world. I own the CZ 75B,CZ 75P07 duty in (9mm) and CZ75SP01. The only reason I don't own the P07 duty in 40 S&W, is I bought the SR40C and own a CZ75P07Duty in 9mm. :D This is my frist Ruger and hopfully can report a good range report, next week.

Bill :p

soldernut

Single-Sixer
I'm glad you mentioned the SR40C. I've been curious about it for some time.

I've had fantastic luck with Ruger revolvers and exactly the opposite with the one Ruger autoloader I own, a P89 9mm.

The P89 is like a sturdy old shoe: Reliable beyond belief. Mine, however, doesn't shoot worth a damn.

At 25 yards, you'd be lucky to hit a pie pan.

Please come back and report that your SR40C is totally fantastic. :eek:

Fatdaddy

Single-Sixer
I recently traded into a SR9c and it is 100%. The trigger is better than my GLOCK with a Ghost 3.5 connector. Nothing bad to say about it.
Now they need to come out with a M model and charge $100 more for it. :roll:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I voted Glock on your list due to the availability of aftermarket funstuff and parts to keep it running.

Do yourself a favor and check out the SR40 / SR40c.