4.2" SP101 first impressions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
Note: Deadduck and Jeff Quinn haven't done my wallet any favors this year (GSR, SR1911 and now this SP101) but they have contributed to silly grin I wear around these days.

From the Ruger Website:
The NEW SP101 in 357 magnum is the perfect "kit gun" to take with you hiking, hunting or on the trail.

For the third time this year (it would be more if I had more money...) Ruger has introduced a gun that I HAD to have... Got the call from my local Gun monger that he had one and it had my name on it...

Sure enough it followed me home and these are my first impressions.

-The size is perfect. Big enough for the 357 cartridge yet not bulky. It feels light in the hand and points naturally for me.

-It is more hansom in than the pictures portray. The grip panels really look nice and have me pondering getting a set of my other SP101.

-No doubt this would make a find trail - woods loafing - kit gun. Lightweight yet robust, time tested and reliable.

-I'm not usually a fan of fiber optic sights but I like this one. It is easy to see without being too coarse and there is still enough post around it for me to easily align the sights the way I'm most accustomed. The rear sight is easily adjustable.

-Chambered in perhaps the most versatile pistol caliber greatly enhances the usefulness of this revolver. For economy, variety, accuracy, potency (357), ease of reloading ... you really can't beat a 38/357.

-With the barrel length over 4" it is a legal hunting firearm in my state.

-I think it is small enough for a CCW too. I'll have to see what holsters are available.

First impressions at the range:
-At 7 yards the as shipped sight setting was slightly left. One click with on the adjustment screw to the right and I was shooting POA = POI with 38 spl.

-The 38 spl. load I had on hand averaged 765 fps for a 158 gr LEE RNFP cast bullet. It was also very accurate. In my 2.25" SP101 this load averages 690 fps.
IMG_2612.jpg

38 spl. five shots, 7 yards offhand single action

-The same Lee bullet in a 357 case charged with Bullseye averaged 1115 fps (very consistent too) and printed slightly higher than the 38 special loads at 7 yards. In my 2.25" Ruger SP101 this load averages just under 1100 fps. Perhaps the longer barrel would benefit from a slightly slower powder. The accuracy was very promising but I didn't have enough of them to shoot targets away from the chronograph.

IMG_2613.jpg

Having already owned, shot and carried a 2.25" SP101 in the same caliber my expectations were high and Ruger has once again exceeded them.

This another good candidate for the 3P (Perfect Packing Pistol) and the if "I could only have one" campfire ponderings with the understanding that it isn't about finding the 3P, it's the pursuit of it.

In the coming weeks and months I will be testing a variety of loads and bullets in this gun. I have some 158 gr Hornady XTP bullets that will get teamed up with some Lil'gun and a few other powders I have around here. There are also a variety of cast bullets I'll be sending down range too.

The future looks bright.

sp327

Single-Sixer
I have to agree with you on the 3P's. It's on my next list. Just have to find one in a store. Will not buy a ruger unseen.

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
Thank you for sharing! I am excited about this gun. Economy and family have killed me over the past few years. Toys have slowly been sold to pay bills. I have been looking for the one-versatile pistol for concealed carry hunting plinking-this is absolutley what I have been wanting! I will own one of these hopefully in the near future! Then plan to pair it with the 77/357-one pistol one rifle one caliber! :p

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
Shhh, don't tell anyone. I might buy one. I'd really like one in .44 spcl though.
gramps

I am stuffing the piggy bank..........I figured the Lipsey's SST 4 5/8 44 Special was the Last One for some time.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
Shhh, don't tell anyone. I might buy one. I'd really like one in .44 spcl though.
gramps

Now, THAT would be interesting. Could you fit a 5 round .44 Spl. cylinder in there? I've had a couple of Charter Arms bulldogs come and go. Not bad guns, but they didn't quite satisfy. If a .44 Spl. SP (3" or 4" barrel with fiber optic front sight, please) comes into being, I'm all over it.

Still think I'll probably end up getting the .357.

Eric N.

Bearcat
I have thought that an SP 101 44 sp. would be cool.But I don't think it would work,After looking at my SP 101 3in barrel 357,the cylinder would be too thin. Not having a GP 100,but that mite work,but this is only a guess.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Pretty photos of the outside. On the INSIDE, what does the MIM trigger group look like?

How is the trigger pull in comparison to the old model SP101?

glenkans

Bearcat
I am glad Ruger came out with a 4in barrel on their sp , I own a 3 in and carry it as my primary edc. I think Ruger has the tech. to treat the cylinder on the sp just like they do on the Super Redhawk. Then I think a 44 spl would be possible. I'd gladly pay the extra 20-50 dollars the special treatment might cost. Industrial tumbling I think they called it and it affected the color slightly.Just hoping out loud.Not griping cause they seem to be bringing out alot of what people have been asking for.Hope they have continued success.Yeaaa Ruger.Glen

TheDude

Single-Sixer
I have a 4" sp101 (22lr) and would vastly prefer fixed sights as opposed to adjustable fiber optic sights on the 4" SP's but that's just me...

I have an sp101 in 357 magnum with a 3" barrel and fixed sights that I will one day pass down to my son. I would likely buy the 4"model as well if it came with fixed sights, but will have to be happy with the GP100 4" half shroud with fixed sights I just ordered today 8)

Josh

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
Looks nice, especially without all the verbage prominently displayed on the side of the barrel! I would like to have one, to go with my 3 1/16", but think I will hold out for a six-shooter .327. Yes I know all about the versatility of the .38/.357 and reloading for it and all that but the same things hold true for a .32 also. And I just want another .32, and a .327 to play with.