9mm SP101 , first impressions at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
I just bought a new 9mm SP-101 today (29 Sep 23). My initial inspection mirrors the original posters' (Stantheman 198) comments. Mine has the forged hammer and an MIM trigger, and it did not come with moon clips or a take down pin either. I have an e-mail into Ruger's customer service about that. We'll see what they have to say.
Moon clips for the earlier SP-101 in 9mm won't work with these newer revolvers. That's a pity because then I would be all set. The cylinder just won't close with the older clips. I wonder if the new clips will work with the older revolvers?
The trigger pull is heavy in double action and is 'stiff to cock' in single action. I'm hoping that cycling and dry firing will smooth things out.
I bought this revolver primarily to have ammo compatibility with my 9mm autos in these times of 'off and on' scarcity. I have other SP-101s in 357, 327, and 22 LR so I'm nearly covered no matter what ammo is available.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Mine is at my gun wizard now getting worked over , he's bobbing the hammer , putting a Meprolight front sight on , correcting the canted barrel and opening up the rear sight accordingly, and test firing to a 15 yard zero

The mainspring is most likely the same one Ruger uses on their .22 SP101 which is also heavy , they have to make sure hard 9mm primers pop like Winchester NATO and also account for very slightly bent moonclips taking up a little firing pin force

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
Update from my posting of September 29. Ruger responded to my email about the missing 'moon' clips from my new 9mm SP101. They are sending me replacements. How many, I do not know as they are expensive. I eagerly await.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Update from my posting of September 29. Ruger responded to my email about the missing 'moon' clips from my new 9mm SP101. They are sending me replacements. How many, I do not know as they are expensive. I eagerly await.
Awesome, I'm going to email them too

Picked up my 9mm SP101, bought off Davidson's today.....everything looked great except I got burned for my 3 clips. I did get a Ruger hat though.......

The clips were nowhere in the shop. I'll email Davidson's and Ruger, maybe they'll send me 3. Otherwise they're like 15 bucks for 3, no huge deal
View attachment 24135
I put on a set of Padauk inserts from "Furniture Your Way", they look and fit great. However.....no disassembly pin under the grip 😆 the grip panels looked hastily reinstalled. Is a Davidson's employee stripping things out of boxes? Like ya need 20 bucks that bad??
View attachment 24136

I had a Blackhawk! brand speedloader pouch I had planned to use with my moon clips but.....I did without. I used a cheapo Allen holster just to have something to draw from at the range

View attachment 24137
It's not my first Rodeo with moonclipped revolvers, so I knew I could still load the gun. After shooting, most spent cases just fell out with some working of the extractor. A few were stubborn and needed a fingernail to pop out. Not a problem.
View attachment 24138
From 5 to 10 yards, shooting two handed, one hand, strong hand, weak hand......I was easily able to put up a decent cluster (for me) around the red circle, while shooting DA . Moving back to 15 and 25 , shooting DA the wheels came off and I sprayed low and off the silhouette. Snubs are less forgiving once you move out of "across the room" distance
View attachment 24139
.38 brass from when I had my .38 SP101 out still in the rocks 😃
View attachment 24140
At 15 yards, resting my hands on the table, shooting SA at the "head". Hands rested on the table and DA at 15 at the Red circle. Accuracy is more than adequate for a snubby, my .38 SP is probably a little more accurate but I'm not worried about a probably inconsequential difference in accuracy. These aren't Bullseye guns. You won't be setting the world on fire with this does the job it's supposed to do. I'm assuming Ruger uses a .357 bore barrel but again, due to overlapping variance and specs it doesn't matter. The next one off the line might stack holes on top of each other and the one before it might blow a softball sized pattern at 15.......within spec is within spec
View attachment 24141
My Blackhawk with 9mm cylinder and a 5946 were in my range bag. Various flavors of 9mm handguns.
View attachment 24142

A little hitch in the SA cocking on one chamber , that began to smooth out. DA pull was typical SP101, heavy but usable . I won't mess with the springs in this one. It needs a cleaning, and some more break in and I'm confident the little roughness on the one chamber in SA will go away.

100 rounds through it, looks like it may be fitted a bit tight in the hand/ratchet tooth interface, the pin was striking a little off center on the primers . I could care less, it's a Ruger not a Manurhin. It delivered 100 rounds of 9mm on target , and I'll be putting 1000s through it. It will break in to itself.
View attachment 24143
View attachment 24144

Winchester White Box must be loaded a bit warm , these snapped like .38 +P in this. This gun is a ton of fun to shoot on the range, for 40 bucks for 100 rounds vs $60-70 I'd need to put the same amount of. 38 through my other SP, it's a no brainer. With good defensive loads like Hydra Shok 9mm +P , I'd be completely confident carrying this.
Good looking inserts

Latest posts