3D printing an option?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a TC Compass II that is now an orphan. The proprietary magazine is literally 'unobtainium' (current pricing is $200-250 or 75% of rifle value). Since range practice would be just as easy loading one at a time, I'm considering having a SLED printed for such use.
Thoughts, advice, recommendations?? Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
My knowledge of 3-D printing is limited. But I'd think you may well be able to get someone to help. Our member Kevin has 3-D experience.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I found a pattern for an item on www.thingverse.com and was able to download it free. Sent the pattern to an online friendly printer where you pick materials, etc. Took about 10 days total from research to arrival. Has to be something someone has already designed but it might be worth a shot.

FWIW, you could look things over and see if it might be possible to adapt a different rifle mag to fit & function, via a purpose-built adapter. A few years back, I was looking at a Remington 710 chambered in .243 at a local gun shop. It had no mag, and replacement mags were pricey, so they had it priced dirt cheap (less than you might pay for a used .22). I had some surplus SMAW 9x51mm mags on the shelf, so I looked at fabricating an adapter for the 710 magwell, to allow use of the SMAW mags. It looked pretty feasible (also had an Uzi mag catch that looked like it would fit the SMAW mags), so I drove into town to buy the rifle - and somebody else had already bought it.

Might also look at converting it to a traditional fixed mag, that loads through the action (I've got a Savage 110 stock that's been fitted with a cut-down, fixed BAR mag). As my friend Captain Obvious likes to say, "It all depends on how much you like to tinker, and whether 'looks' are a priority!"

Once again IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, is-it-just-a-tool-or-something-else, etc.
:)

I have a TC Compass II that is now an orphan. The proprietary magazine is literally 'unobtainium' (current pricing is $200-250 or 75% of rifle value). Since range practice would be just as easy loading one at a time, I'm considering having a SLED printed for such use.
Thoughts, advice, recommendations?? Thanks
What is a SLED for a rifle magazine? It's probably possible. I haven't used my printer in a long time, but have been thinking about printing something for the fun of it.

"Bob Hahin has designed the Original Bob Sled(OBS) as a single round loading device..."

:)
Thanks, that makes sense and is a pretty neat idea. It would also be very easy to 3D print something like that. However, without either the gun or the exact dimensions, it would be just about impossible to get exact enough to work correctly and fit properly.

@Mobuck But again, it would be very possible to 3D print one, and if sized correctly would work just fine. Good Luck!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I think I have solved my problem. Seems an out of the way gun shop has a few magazines for this model in 22/250 at the original prices (vs 4X ebay or GB prices) The only difference 'SEEMS' to be feed lips and I have a DREMEL. Guess I'll find out in about a week.
Did the same with Marlin model 25 magazines when they went to $50+ each (for a .22LR bolt action). Found an old guy with a crappy low traffic website to get some.

I was in Kansas for 2 days working out transport of a combine and found the 22/250 magazine in the mailbox when I got home. Guess What? 6.5 rounds hang up a smidgeon but not as much as expected. Looks like an easy fix plus got a 10% discount store coupon on purchase of more. :love:

usabaker

Bearcat
It's not a big issue to 3D print a mag or slide for most anything; however, you have to be cognizant of how much heat the mag/slide will be subject to and choose the 3D filament based on that (and oil/solvent resistance would be nice). I don't have a TC Compass II for reference, so have no way of giving to a shot myself, unless you have a drawing.