45ACP Cylinder for an OM Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmca

Bearcat
I found this comment on a different Thread. Didn't want to shirt tail his Thread so I started my own.
"OP, call Ruger customer service! If that gun was a convertible, Ruger will replace the missing 45 Colt cylinder, usually at no charge to you." I have a 1971 5 digit Ser. No. that I would like to find out if indeed it was sold as a Convertible.
As these things go, I also believe in the same Thread a comment was made that Ruger will do the Historical Check for $10?
If so, someone have the number to call?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Actually, calling to verify a model you'd have to call the "Records" dept. To get technical data on getting a replacement cylinder,, that'd be "Customer Service." Generally, you have to mail in an application for the letter along with $10 to get the data.

BUT,, since the OM's are no longer made,, you may or may NOT be able to get a replacement cylinder from Ruger,,,,,,, IF,,,,,,IF,,,,,,, it shipped originally as a convertible. And yes,, they will charge to replace the cylinder usually.

All OM .45 cal Blackhawks have a 7-digit serial number. They begin at 45-00001 and go to 45-23031.

If you send the gun to Ruger for the missing cylinder, they WILL even without your permission, convert it to the "safety transfer bar" action.

In general,, the EASIEST way to get an OM cylinder is to try & buy one used. Measure the OAL, (include the ratchet & the boss,) and look for one the same OAL or a little longer. It can be honed down if a little long.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
, Ruger will replace the missing 45 Colt cylinder, usually at no charge to you."

Nope , no free lunch.
Free parts extend up to about $15 and they are now getting picky about what they will send out.
If they do agree to replace it you can probably expect to spend about $200 after shipping and all that.
Better to do as contender said, do the search , do the measuring , find a used one. They are out there.

Last edited:

jmca

Bearcat
Ok, Thanks for the replies! It is usually better for me to stay aggressive on a project to completion than to sideline it as a "well when I get to it" or "one comes along". Those tend to never get done. LOL!
I guess my next thought is, "should I be shooting this" or keep it pristine because it is such an early "Old Model"?

G2

Hunter
Are you a "Collector", if holding on to pristine Ruger's is your thing, then keep it pristine, in the back of your safe, get it out once in a while & wipe it down, then die, so your family will most likely enjoy it or sell it! 😳

Me, I get more enjoyment out of shooting it, usually with friends & family, creating memories of the time spent shooting.

A lot of times when I sell a gun,,,, months to years later I have regrets. You have to part with the item to recognize any gain.

As for your 45ACP cylinder, place a WTB in the classlides and expect to pay ~$150-200 depending on condition. They're fun to shoot with ACP, but now you can get 45 Cowboy Special that will work just fine in your 45 Colt Cylinder.
It's on backorder currently, but back orders have been filling somewhat timely.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm a collector AND a shooter. It's easier to find a "shooter grade" gun than the minty guns. So I have really nice display guns,, and then I have the ones that were used before I got them, and I shoot those.

Now,, I'm a little confused by some of the wording about the missing cylinder.
Are you missing a ACP cylinder or the Colt cylinder?

Your title says you are seeking an ACP cylinder,, but the body of your first post,, is asking about getting a Colt cylinder.

As noted above,, measure your existing cylinder, to get the OAL. Then place a WTB ad here in our "Classifieds" (after you get more than 10 posts,) and expect to pay for a spare cylinder.

jmca

Bearcat
Thanks! I try to proofread my content for clarity and spelling but that doesn't always happen!
I am looking for an ACP Cylinder!

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, that clears that up. :D

Place a WTB ad here in our Classifieds & you may get one offered. They usually aren't cheap. The OM .45's were only made for 3 years, and not all were convertible. In fact,, convertibles are very desirable,, and finding a separate cylinder isn't always easy.

you kinda answered your own question, if YOU want it to shoot and want to SHOOT also .45 acps then by all means get a spare cylinder and NO as noted above it will NOT be "for free".......and if the gun is that nice and you have all the "package" box ,papers, etc and it is MINT shape and you want to keep it and put it back to what it "may have" been shipped as ( an "X" ) for 'convertible' again , go for it ,,,the value is in it's originality as well as "completeness".............. (y)

willicd76

Bearcat
I dont guess i see the allure of the acp cylinder in these guns, and i have one. The 45lc is loaded from mild to wild straight from the factory so it cant be ballistics. If its cost, the 9mm conversion or a single six makes much more sense there. If you truly can have only one gun, then i get it. Of course ive never known anyone that TRULY applies to. Its all about priorities!😁

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I dont guess i see the allure of the acp cylinder in these guns, and i have one. The 45lc is loaded from mild to wild straight from the factory so it cant be ballistics. If its cost, the 9mm conversion or a single six makes much more sense there. If you truly can have only one gun, then i get it. Of course ive never known anyone that TRULY applies to. Its all about priorities!😁
If you have a convertible and don't reload, they make a ton of sense. Availability, variety, and price of factory ammo favors the ACP by a large margin. I've also found the ACP cylinder in my BH is supremely accurate with just about any load, including those at +p and Super levels.

willicd76

Bearcat
If you have a convertible and don't reload, they make a ton of sense. Availability, variety, and price of factory ammo favors the ACP by a large margin. I've also found the ACP cylinder in my BH is supremely accurate with just about any load, including those at +p and Super levels.
Absolutely, if you already have it and dont reload, use it. I guess ive been reloading for so long i tend to make the assumption that its more common than it really is.

jmca

Bearcat
Its partially the COOL FACTOR! Plus the fact that I have several 45 Auto's. I haven't been reloading for several years, but I can do that for either cartridge.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I bought a .45 convertible about 25 years ago. At that point in time, I had access to free .ACP ammo. My BH shoots extremely well with ACP ammo. I doubt I have shot more than 50 rounds through the .45 Colt cylinder.

The first cartridge I ever reloaded was the .45 Colt and that was back in 1973, so hand loading is no problem.

IIRC, it doesn't matter if the ACP cylinder is from an Old Model or a New Model Blackhawk, as long as the overall length (OAL) is correct.

contender

Ruger Guru
"IIRC, it doesn't matter if the ACP cylinder is from an Old Model or a New Model Blackhawk, as long as the overall length (OAL) is correct."

Uhh, correction here. It DOES matter. The cylinder boss, (front ring that determines the OAL,) is the difference.
The barrel to cylinder gap would be the issue.

jmca

Bearcat
Unless my 1987 Gun Digest is wrong, the guy I bought it from should have asked the Widow if there were other items associated with the collection he bought. The Ruger article in there stated that "all"(?) first year 45LC Blackhawks came out as convertibles.

contender

Ruger Guru
The Gun Digest is wrong.

The very first ones were not convertibles. But they did start making convertibles in the first year as well. In 1971, they came out with the OM .45 Blackhawk. The serial number range for 1971 for them was 45-00001 to 45-13200. The convertibles also started in 1971 with the lowest number of 45-00111 and they too ran to 45-13200. There were also brass framed OM's too.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Well, that clears that up. :D

Place a WTB ad here in our Classifieds & you may get one offered. They usually aren't cheap. The OM .45's were only made for 3 years, and not all were convertible. In fact,, convertibles are very desirable,, and finding a separate cylinder isn't always easy.
You can also check eBay periodically for a .45ACP cylinder. I lost a couple of auctions, and was watching another (it eventually sold for ~$455 😳). I saved my search and got an email notification about one for sale "buy now" for $289. I actually pulled over in a parking lot, leaned against my Jeep and bought it on the spot!

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I'm a machinist. If the cylinder you can find is longer than the cylinder you have, it's no big deal to find someone to turn down the cylinder on a lathe to fit. Since cylinders aren't considered firearms in their selves, it doesn't have to be a gunsmith. I bet @DougGuy could do it and correct the throats for a reasonable price.

As for locating a cylinder, try calling some of the custom smiths. Fermin Garza has helped me locate several cylinders.

Latest posts