.38 special ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rtl

Single-Sixer
Every once in a while I see the big boxes of 9mm and .45 acp in the Walmart ammo cage, sometimes see .357, and am starting to see .380 again too. On rare occasions I can find opened bricks of .22 at the local hardware store, but I can't remember the last time I saw a box of just plain ol' .38 special, let alone something like 158 gr lswhp. Is it like that in your areas too? Do you suspect the availability will improve soon? I'm not completely out, I just don't plink with my .38s as much as I would like knowing it's still hard to find.

rt

wolfee

Blackhawk
Same here. Every revolver I own is a 38. I am encountering a box here and there. If it is cheap, I snag it. Collecting some pretty weird stuff. My local Walmart has been putting out a few boxes of either 9 40 45 or 357 almost daily but rarely 38's. My favorite is the Magtech 95gr solid copper +p. I just got notified from Midway they had some but it sold out instantly. Put SGammo.com on your radar. They get some hot Winchester +p+ now and then. No problem if you are shooting them in a GP 357. And, they are very competitive on pricing.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
My local Walmart gets trucks on Tues, Thurs, Fri, & Sat afternoon. They limit 3 boxes of same item per customer. If you get there 7AM the following morning you can get first choice on what came in. Manager said they don't order but just get what is sent to them. Ask your local managers when they get trucks and when they put out the ammo.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
I've only been seeing a box or two of it here and there, usually wadcutters or ball target loads.

Although yesterday my local Cabela's had a decent stock of handgun ammo in all the popular calibers, enough to fill at least half their normal shelf space alloted for such ammo and a couple of standalone displays. Lots of PMC and Sellier & Bellot, including .38 and .357s.

They even had one lonely fifty-round box of the Remington 158-grain +P LHPs on the shelf, which I immediately grabbed, along with the last box they had of PMC 180-grain JHP .44 Specials. The Remingtons were $30 for the box - about what they were going for prior to the ammo panic - and the .44 SPLs were $28...about five bucks more than before.

Even before the panic, though...not sure why the JHP defensive stuff in .44 SPL costs less than target loads do in that caliber. What's up with that?

I picked up a couple of the 20 round boxes of Federal Hydra Shocks today. Which they had some 357 and some cheaper 38's. Got a box of 44 special 20 round box led HP's Federal also. Not much for choices here lately. Haven't seen a brick of 22's in 3 months or more. Got some 45 acp and some 9mm and some 223, but it is sure hard to come by.

welder

Buckeye
Strange. That's been the case around here too for a while. Limits on .38spl when there is some around. I have plenty but am always looking to replenish my stock. I reload it and just ordered some more brass so I can fill my range cans again with reload . 9mm and even .45 a plenty here but still short on the .38 and usually the .380 too.

wideglide

Bearcat
Plenty of 38 special here in Charleston SC. but $17.00 per box and limited to 3 per day. Georgia Arms had some remanufactured in a can for $130.00 per 500 plus $19.00 shipping. I've seen their stuff at the indoor range and am going to try it. Still no 22 or 9mm to speak of but I did get 2 old backorders of 22 from Cabelas last week.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Sounds like a good reason to get into reloading. I know components are also hard to come by but they are out there and getting easier to find.
I currently have over 800 .38`s loaded, 800 .357`s loaded, 600 .45 Colt`s loaded,
1600 9mm`s loaded. You can do it also.

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
9mm has taken the place of 38 Special these days, when I do see 38 Special on the shelf at the LGS the price is crazy! Like the 45 Colt the 38 Special can be reloaded for a fraction of the cost of factory ammunition.

Late last year I picked up a 50 round box of Remington 38 Special +P 158gr LSWC-HP FBI loads form Ammo-To-Go for $22 on sale! It was the first factory 38 Special ammo I found that would shoot to point of aim in both my S&W RHKP M-10 and Saudi Body Guard M-49. I ordered x4 more boxes to stash and glad I did, by November 2012 they were sold out of everything!

I worked on duplicating the FBI load using; Starline 38 Special brass, Alliant Power Pistol or Unique powder, Winchester small pistol primers, and Rim Rock LSWC-GC-HP or plain LSWC bullets. Working up published +P charges of powder I stopped when they shot to the same point of aim as the FBI loads.

I found some Remmington 38's at Walmart the other day. As mentioned I've seen 380 357 9mm etc. Just no .22's. I still have plenty but would buy more at reasonable prices.

Anyway I also reload for 38-357. I just bought two boxes of 38's so I could have some more brass.

I've found most new shooters pass up revolvers and go straight to the wonder-nines, wonder-forties, and wonder-.45's. So, there's tons more 9mm/.40/.45ACP sold than .38 special. So...I imagine the ammo companies are gonna spend their time making the stuff that sells quicker.

I'm the rare dinosaur that still shoots revolver ammo, very regularly. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yd said:
Sounds like a good reason to get into reloading. I know components are also hard to come by but they are out there and getting easier to find.
I currently have over 800 .38`s loaded, 800 .357`s loaded, 600 .45 Colt`s loaded,
1600 9mm`s loaded. You can do it also.
+100

The only ammo I buy is 22lr and my carry ammo. Other than that I reload every else I shoot and I just started casting my .357, 45acp and 44mag.

I did notice at the range today they had a couple boxes 38 spc. No CCI primers tho. Plenty of gun powder and nice selection of bullets.

Red River Bob

Bearcat
06/10/2013 Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor
Fiocchi .38 Special 130grs. FMJ 200 rds
Magtech .357 Mag. 158 grs. SJSP-Flat 200 rds
CCI .22 WMR 40 grs. TMJ 100 rds

07/01/2013 Bi-Mart
Remington .22 Thunderbolt High Velocity 22 LR Round Nose, 1000 rds, bought the .22 ammo when I was buying my 10/22 Takedown.
It's all about lucky timing.

.40 and .380 have been no problem getting.

I'm not running short on ammo, so no panic buying, just like having ammo above my cushion so I can continue shooting in the manner I've grown accustom too. Would like a few thousand rounds more of .223.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Right now here 9mm is the easiest, .38 special is next, and .357 is impossible to find.

Reloading is the answer. When loaded factory round searches got boring I started in on loading and the fun search for components.

WelshAmerican

Bearcat
I just paid a deposit on my first weapon, the Ruger LCR .38 Spl that I hope to pick up in September. I have found standard-pressure 158 gr LRN are available at my gun-shop/firing range. The gun-shop said that cheap wad cutters for target practice are not being manufactured yet. They are trying to supply the more lethal loads first.
What I ordered for self-defense was a standard-pressure Buffalo Bore 20D wad cutter (150 gr. 850 f/s.) It was my choice because of the low flash powder they use in it.

dg101win

Single-Sixer
May not be the best price,but currently in stock.

ammoman.com---federal 158 lead swc 1,000 rds@$399.00 shipped to your door.