357 magnum rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I have an sp101 357mag and saw a 357mag rifle at my local gun shop. Can anyone attest to their effectiveness. What type of ammo for hunting deer, grain weight, effective range.

Thanks

Hopefully someone with a bunch of "real world" experience will jump in, but the impression I've always had from previous discussions is heavier bullets (158gr to 180gr) are better, use soft points rather than hollow points, and best results are at 100-150 yards or less. Maybe someone else can also comment on the Hornady 140gr LEVERevolution polymer-tipped ammo (if still available), which might shoot flatter & possibly extend the effective range.
:)

RC44Mag

Buckeye
As Leper said, due to the large increase in velocity(energy) due to the longer barrel you need to choose ammo carefully. Some hollowpoints will open too soon and come apart before suitable penetration is reached. I'm going through this myself with my recently acquired Deer Stalker 44.
There should be some quality hollow points that will stay together to get the job done or just stick with good soft points as mentioned.

Last edited:
So the American eagle 158-grain jsp would be a good whitetail round? I take it this would also be a good coyote gun too?
I am sure that it would be good for both applications with that round. Probably for wild hogs too. I am not a hunter anymore so can't tell you from practical experience. Just make sure you know how much the projectile drops and don't over extend the range.

dannyd

Hunter
Which rifle? ; I have a Encore 357 20 inch, Rossi 20 inch and Henry 357.

Never hunted with them but they are fun to plink with. Any kind of Cast bullet from 125 grain to 200 grain will work.

If your using 158 grain Jacketed Hollow Points in your SP then they will work fine in most any 357 rifle.

As mentioned earlier, Hornady 140gr LEVERevolution is a good option out of a rifle. These are specifically designed for use in tube feed lever guns. I used a Ruger 77/357 bolt gun on a trip to Ohio and took 2 doe with broadside lung shots. The range was less than 50 yards but they both dropped within sight. The next day I took a very large 8 point with a quartering toward me shot through the front shoulder. Again the range was short but the bullets performed better than I would have expected.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
One thing I learned while shooting my Winchester Trapper was NOT to use plain lead or even my own hard cast bullets. The leading was so severe after just a few rounds, that it took forever to clean all the lead from the bore.

Sapo

Single-Sixer
My granddaughter and I have taken wtd with my Marlin 357. I cast so I use a 190 gr FNGC ( RanchDog) and the Lee 125 RF. Accuracy with both is great and both used to take wtd. The heavier boolits uses H110, the 125, Unique. I have not taken a wtd with a 357 handgun. Like the 45 Colt, the 357 is awesome in a long gun.

MGP

Bearcat
I have a Marlin 1894 Pre-Safety in 357 Mag
I have shot one deer with it 127lbs dressed
Punched her through the lungs at 75 Yards and she ran about 70 yards and piled up.
While effective I would not take it past 100 yards. And if you will be using 158gr XTP Make sure you buy the Flat Point XTP they are made for rifle velocity the standard XTP blew up on that deer. Definitely use 158-180gr bullets.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
Here is a 158 grain XTP recovered from a 200# whitetail buck from a few years ago
Screenshot_20170507-191804.jpg
Screenshot_20170507-191743.jpg

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
I too have killed deer with the .357 out of a rifle. I can't say with certainty what bullet was used, but I would always opt for heavier and tougher bullets, even at the trade off of less expansion. Bullets need to get in to the heart to kill quickly. I had a good friend who would often use a .257 Roberts for deer and many use a .243. Those bullets may expand to the same diameter that the .357 starts out as, so I was always comfortable with what I was using. And a large diameter flat nose bullet can make for a good blood trail to follow.

mrs50sls56

Bearcat
As Leper said, due to the large increase in velocity(energy) due to the longer barrel you need to choose ammo carefully. Some hollowpoints will open too soon and come apart before suitable penetration is reached. I'm going through this myself with my recently acquired Deer Stalker 44.
There should be some quality hollow points that will stay together to get the job done or just stick with good soft points as mentioned.
You should stick with only jacketed bullets, in the deerstalker, as the gas port could become clogged with lead.

Mus408

Hunter
I have a Henry 357 lever rifle. It loves the Missouri Bullets coated 180 gr. bullets with 11.6 of Alliant 2400. No leading issues and they do hit hard!
They shoot great out of my revolvers too!

Latest posts