357 magnum rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
Hi how much penetration did you get with that bullet I have been thinking about using my m77 357 for deer here in new england

Gramps
So that shot was around 80 yards if I recall correctly. I was using .08 grains over Hodgens listed max (this is the load Buffalo Bore uses, I duplicated it). The projectile passed through the left front shoulder transected the entire deer and was stuck in the hide just above the right hip bone. The buck acted drunk after the shot, he stumbled around for about 4 or 5 seconds and dropped, never moved again. This was from a 24" barrel btw using a trijicon rmr.

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
I have an sp101 357mag and saw a 357mag rifle at my local gun shop. Can anyone attest to their effectiveness. What type of ammo for hunting deer, grain weight, effective range.

Thanks
Are you handloading or buying commercial ammo?

It used to be that Lil'Gun powder gave the highest velocity of pretty much anything (no guarantees of it being best accuracy, though). There are stories of it being too hot in revolvers but OK in rifles. I've used it sparingly and got some ammo that felt quite spicy; can't remember if I chronoed any of it. Not sure if the newest powders (Alliant MP300, Accurate 11FS) might have equaled Lil'Gun. Of course, if you're not greedy for that last 75 or whatever fps, good ol' H110 should do fine.

Look up the twist rate of the rifle you are interested in before you buy too many bullets. My Rossi 92 is too slow-twist to stabilize the longest bullets (200 grain+). It's fine with 158 grain. I can't actually remember how it does with 180s. I'm almost certain it fed and fired the true Keith SWC (mold 357429) bullet OK, which is usually said to be 173 grains, but I can't find any notes to confirm it. I know it fed fine with Xtreme plated SWCs, but those are very short-nosed, so that proves nothing. Sorry not to have more specifics, but I'm not a big rifle shooter. Also, my Rossi has a Skinner aperture rear sight installed by the previous owner, which is nice except that it needs to be paired with a taller front sight. All bullets heavier than 125 grain shoot too high with this sight combination. I've been procrastinating for years about getting a new front sight. I've run small amounts of heavier ammo through it, but I have to aim at the lower edge of the bullseye.

Only shooting paper, so I can't say much about hunting other than that a DuckDuckGo search for ".357 rifle deer hunt" turns up a lot of positive articles and I didn't see a bunch of things saying "that's crazy." Certainly not something I'd try at over about 75-100 yards with irons or maybe 150 with a scope. Those chubby bullets are going to slow down pretty fast as they get out there farther.

Last edited:

dannyd

Buckeye
This is my favorite 357 magnum rifle.

26F7D0A0-62F0-4FE2-BF86-55B557587F9F.jpeg

rjfirefly

Bearcat
I have an sp101 357mag and saw a 357mag rifle at my local gun shop. Can anyone attest to their effectiveness. What type of ammo for hunting deer, grain weight, effective range.

Thanks
I own a Henry X model .357/38 and I like it. To me felt recoil was minimal even with .357 round. It makares me crave a revolver in .357 like yours to complement it. I know this cartridge can handle deer up to 100 yards. the rounds I fired through it were not too hot 158gr flat nosed range ammo. A Henry all weather in .357 would be a candidate for a real hunting rifle. ammo much less expensive than 30-30

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
mixup98 on YouTube did a review today on a Rossi R92 in 357 magnum. Sounds like a great rifle. Shoots 38 special also and has the large loop lever.

CHEVYINLINE6.
Every rossi rifle I have handled needed internal modifications to function properly. A couple of them looked like they had been machined by a drunk with epilepsy. Lots of chatter marks on the bolts, huge scrapes and scratches on the internals. One required a completely new bolt to be sourced, got it from Nate "Kiowa" Jones. He also instructed me, over the phone, on how to fix all the messy bits

Every rossi rifle I have handled needed internal modifications to function properly. A couple of them looked like they had been machined by a drunk with epilepsy. Lots of chatter marks on the bolts, huge scrapes and scratches on the internals. One required a completely new bolt to be sourced, got it from Nate "Kiowa" Jones. He also instructed me, over the phone, on how to fix all the messy bits

I traded into a brand new Rossi M92 .357 a few years back; my gunsmith (who was into cowboy action shooting) had suggested that I look for an older Rossi without the safety, but a new one became available first. I love it; I had always been a Marlin guy (.357, .44, & .35 Rem), but the Rossi action is fast & smooth as silk in comparison! No reliability issues at all, and it shoots my 110 gr .38 Special +P reloads into one ragged hole. It may not be as nice inside as a Winchester or Browning Model 92 (I have not had it completely disassembled), but it didn't have a Winchester price tag, either!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
About 15 years ago I bought a Rossi model 518 revolver in 22 rimfire. It did not shoot well and was spitting lead between the front of the cylinder and the rear of the barrel. After looking it over very carefully I discovered it had no forcing cone. From the time I bought it Interarms had went out of business and the new importer would not fix the problem. I got on my computer and bought the proper tool from Brownells to cut a forcing cone in the rear of the barrel. It's a good shooter now.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Last edited:
About 15 years ago I bought a Rossi model 518 revolver in 22 rimfire. It did npt shoot well and was spitting lead between the front of the cylinder and the rear of the barrel. After looking it over very carefully I discovered it had no forcing cone. From the time I bought it Interarms had went out of business and the new importer would not fix the problem. I got on my computer and bought the proper tool from Brownells to cut a forcing cone in the rear of the barrel. It's a good shooter now.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Once in a while, things will sneak past quality control - even in American factories. Back in the late 1970s, a family friend who was a deputy sheriff purchased a brand new S&W Model 19 for personal use (through an LEO discount program, IIRC). After he got it home, he discovered there was no rifling in the barrel. I don't recall if Smith replaced just the barrel, or the entire firearm, but they made the situation right. More recently, my newest 10/22 slipped out of the factory with the barrel canted so far to the left, that Ruger ended up having to replace the receiver. I don't need their help very often, but I really do appreciate Ruger's great customer service folks!

As always, FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

Rum River

Bearcat
Rossi model 92 with 20" barrel. Handload using H110 powder and a Cast Performance 180gr. Wide Flat Nose with gas check doing a chronographed 1750 fps. Shot a 6-point at 30-40 yards from a tree stand. It was a head on shot but deer was looking to one side so entry hole was in the side of the neck. The bullet went all the way through lengthwise, after field dressing deer weighed in the 140's.

eveled

Hawkeye
A friend of mine was seriously looking for a .357 lever action. He was waiting to see if Ruger/Marlin would release one at Shot. When that did not happen he was seriously looking at the Marlin all weather. But found a Rossi stainless locally and bought it. I think he made a good decision. Less money and not as heavy as the Henry.

He hasn't shot it yet, but fit and finish look good and internally it looks good.

I'm happy with my Rossi 92 as well.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Have you inspected or shot one in the last 24 months since they retooled the entire assembly process in a new plant? Get a really old one (like I have) or a new one (post Braztech) and you should be fine.
A friend of mine was seriously looking for a .357 lever action. He was waiting to see if Ruger/Marlin would release one at Shot. When that did not happen he was seriously looking at the Marlin all weather. But found a Rossi stainless locally and bought it. I think he made a good decision. Less money and not as heavy as the Henry.

He hasn't shot it yet, but fit and finish look good and internally it looks good.

I'm happy with my Rossi 92 as well.
Henry's aren't just heavy, they're not made to the same strength level as an 1892. Rugers are too expensive and likely won't be available in blue for a good while. 1894's are heavier and weaker than the 1892.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Yaaaaay! for the heavy bullets in the rifles and lever action carbines. I carry a 4.2 inch SP101 in the woods with a 30-30. Have any of you guys ever thought shooting your rifle ammo out or your revolver?
What is it like, firing a 140 LeverRevolution from a small revolver? If carrying the same cartridge for sidearm and shoulder gun is convenient, shouldn't they fire the same rounds?

dannyd

Buckeye
Besides my Encore I have a Henry Big Boy and a Rossi M92. Did have a Longhunter pistol grip 1873 but traded it for two GP100's when I was done shootings cowboy. Made that guy's day ;)

3F83C18E-DA76-43AB-A69F-B2CE06669FFD.jpeg