357 mag bear ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmeadows76

Bearcat
looking for a good black bear defense load for gp100 357 mag...want to use as side arm when hunting or hiking.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Any premium 180gr flat point hunting round would be my thought.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=15455

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Corbon makes a 200 grain flat nose hardcast at 1150 fps. I wouldn't hunt black bear with a 357. Having personally seen a lot of on game bullet performance I would carry 45 Colt hardcast or 44 special 44 mag hardcast or the biggest flat nose widest meplat hardcast I had available that I could shoot and handle accurately.

Oh yeah howdy and welcome from south GA!

stevemb

Hunter
As above, the 180-200gr. hard cast WFN style loads. If buying, look for Federal Castcore, Underwood,Buffalo Bore, Corbon. When Dad-n-law was younger and active and in Fla., I sent him the Federal Castcore for use in his gator/shark/hog gun. A .357 BH.. steve

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
You will get a lot of different responses. Many will scoff at your choice of a 357 for bear. Ignore that. If a 357 is what you have and/or choose to use for hiking, then that is YOUR choice.
Look at the companies listed above & select a good quality, heavy cast lead flat nosed bullet, moving around 1100-1200 fps and you will have a good bear load. While many may not feel the 357 is big enough, it can do the job. Proper bullet placement is the key to stopping any critter. 2 legged or 4 legged.

We've seen this question posed any number of times. Search "bear" for examples.

I'd still like to read a half-dozen or more posts from folks who have actually, really, no-kidding fended off bear attacks with a .357 handgun. Speculation is cheap.

;)

stevemb

Hunter
While a .357 is not my choice, it is much louder than a bear whistle. It is capable of taking bears. It is better than nothing. Not everyone is gonna crack the piggy bank to buy your favorite bear stopper. Very few here have "stopped" a bear with a handgun. I haven't. I have turned away bears that were acting too aggressive for my comfort. We are ALL talking theory. Reality is the guy has a .357. I'd shake his hand for thinking ahead of possible threats and making choices, asking for advice. steve

I also commend him for asking the question and I also agree that a .357 is better than nothing.

The question remains . . . where's the first-hand data on bear defense with handguns, any caliber, any style.

I think that's a fair question as well.

DGW1949

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
I also commend him for asking the question and I also agree that a .357 is better than nothing.

The question remains . . . where's the first-hand data on bear defense with handguns, any caliber, any style.

I think that's a fair question as well.

True that.
Nothing like a dose of reality to help a guy get his perspectives in order.

DGW

WESHOOT2

Hunter
The 180g lead flat wide-meplat bullets loaded by BuffaloBore (and the like) will offer sufficient penetration for black bear.

But even more important is your aim (study its anatomy, and with the 357 suggest shooting for the heart).

stevemb

Hunter
I don't automatically equate stats with reality. At least when it comes to bears and things that might eat us, stats fail due to the number of variables. The man asked for ammo choices for a .357. There are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are stats.. an old saying, true without stats.. Number crunching while trying to avoid bone crunching, eh ? Really, I don't believe there are enough incidents to compile to derive solid stats. I'd rather hide behind a tree than stats. Intestinal fortitude and teflon coated undies aside. Take a deep breath, be aware of the threat, take steps, and enjoy life. Stay safe folks.

I don't automatically equate stats with reality, either. But I'd still rather see several posts from folks experienced with the question than folks simply expressing opinions based on no hard evidence.

Yes, this is the internet, and there's nothing to prevent Rambo-wannabes from regaling us with how they fought off the entire herd of raging grizzlies with a sharp stick and some pepper spray. We've seen plenty of those, for sure.

This is JMHO and can be easily ignored by those who so desire.

:)

stevemb

Hunter
A big long thought out reply...gone. Crap. So, Ale-8(1)I enjoy and respect your thoughts. You could have skipped the "Rambo-wannabes" stuff, but You chose to go to insults.

mikld

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
We've seen this question posed any number of times. Search "bear" for examples.

I'd still like to read a half-dozen or more posts from folks who have actually, really, no-kidding fended off bear attacks with a .357 handgun. Speculation is cheap.
Yep! Or even three, real life occurrences...

stevemb said:
A big long thought out reply...gone. Crap. So, Ale-8(1)I enjoy and respect your thoughts. You could have skipped the "Rambo-wannabes" stuff, but You chose to go to insults.

And I respected your thoughts, as well. I just think that a little more first-hand info would be reassuring.

That comment was not directed at you. If it fits, however . . .

Shot placement is the key here. IMO for bear protection the biggest caliber you can handle.

I wouldn't use a 357. Lots of bruins here in Maine I pack a Redhawk 300 gr hard cast with a good dose of 296. ps