357 Herrett - Anyone into this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

spittinfire

Bearcat
I thought I would see what kind of responds I get here.

Anyone into 357 Herrett? I've got a chance to pick up a Contender that comes with a barrel in this chambering and thought it might be fun to play with. My uses would be mainly target but it would find it's way on a deer hunt sooner or later. Does anyone have any experience with it or shoot it currently?

jsh

Single-Sixer
I cut my teeth on a 7TCU. I always liked the Herrett's, am ashamed to say I had never owned one up until a few years back. I have both, 30 and 357, have not played with them enough to comment on these particular barrels.

If no brass, made for THAT barrel came with it, I suggest virgin brass. You can use some miscellaneous brass to get a feel for making brass through all the steps, but don't expect much life out of it.
I have a fair bit of old data, lol, as there has been no new data in 20+ years.
Jeff

bee-kay

Bearcat
I used to shoot a .357 Herrett contender with a 11" or 12" barrel.
It was a good shooter, and powerful too.
I used either 180 JSP or 158 JSP
Be sure to read up on reloading, there are some tricks to getting it right, but it isn't too difficult.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
It was really noticably faster and more accurate than a .44 mag revolver at long range, but the recoil wasn't harsh at all.

WYO1

Bearcat
35 yrs. or so with the herrets. Had both the 10 and 14 inch. sold the 10". All the above suggestions. H4227 seemed to work best for me w/large rifle primers. 125 xtp at 2542 fps. makes a good prarie dog load. I have loaded and used the old Remington 150 gr.psp no longer available to shoot an antelope. I have also loaded and shot the Hornady 200gr. rn with thoughts of using it for elk. Careful die settings will give long brass life.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Us old guys remember when that was a "hot ticket" back in the day. YES, I have one and still shoot it although, I don't hunt anymore. Hornady made (maybe still does) a "Single Shot Pistol" bullet for the 357 Herrett that would do the job at the slower (pistol) velocities. It was 180 gr., .358", and the number was #3505. If you can tolerate the process to form cases from .30-30 brass, it's a great cartridge (albeit) overshadowed by many newer entries over the years. Short story: I used to take my scoped, 10" 357 Herrett to the range every year during the 'once a year hunters' sight-in festival. I'd sit downrange from the guys trying to sight-in their 12 ga slug guns at 50 yds. After watching them (literally) miss the paper over and over, I'd start banging the 100 yd plates with 100% hits. Finally, they would come over to see what I was shooting since it "didn't look like a rifle" which was/is illegal in ceratin parts of the state to hunt with. I'd casually mention that it was no big deal hitting at 100 yds. ("why, you guys having trouble").... :mrgreen:

spittinfire

Bearcat
Thanks for all the comments guys. I should be picking it up this weekend and may message a few of you for some load ideas. It's a scoped Super 14 with a 30-30 barrel to boot so I've got some stuff to play with.

Tam

Bearcat

Anyone into 357 Herrett? I've got a chance to pick up a Contender that comes with a barrel in this chambering and thought it might be fun to play with. My uses would be mainly target but it would find it's way on a deer hunt sooner or later. Does anyone have any experience with it or shoot it currently?
I have one in 10" and in 1983 I owned a super 14 but years later I sold it and regretted it ever since,I make my own cases and reload,I like it

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I bought a barrel about 1-1/2 years ago but have yet to have the time to play with it or make any brass for it. Looking forward to any advice given here!

Tam

Bearcat
I've formed probably 500 rounds of 357 herrett brass and I always use new 30/30 brass,I only have one set of pacific dies,they allow me to full length size the brass then I can trim it to proper length,to form it to your chamber I suggest working yourself up a light load and fire forming them,hope any of this helps

tarbe

Bearcat
I loaded 1,588 rounds for my 357 Herrett before I sold it to my Cousin (in 1985). He still has it.

I only killed two bucks with it. The 158gr Hornady made quicker work with the broadside shot, vs the 180gr Speer (as might be expected).

Never lost a case in fireforming, that I can recall. Just don't push that shoulder back any further than needed to get the action to close!

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I loaded 1,588 rounds for my 357 Herrett before I sold it to my Cousin (in 1985). He still has it.

I only killed two bucks with it. The 158gr Hornady made quicker work with the broadside shot, vs the 180gr Speer (as might be expected).

Never lost a case in fireforming, that I can recall. Just don't push that shoulder back any further than needed to get the action to close!
I forgot that you told me about that shoulder, I have some brass on the way to make some up.

tarbe

Bearcat
would bullets like these work for heavy deer loads ???

I see the thread was deleted, so don't know which jacket thickness was being sold...

But in general, you are not going to get the kind of energy transfer you want on whitetail in a Herrett with 200gr bullets, unless heavy bone is hit.

Impact velocity of that 200gr, even at 50 yards, it not likely going to cause the kind of wound channel you want.

Will it work with a perfect shot? Sure. But unless you plan to take a Texas Heart Shot, I would use a bullet that will expand properly at the likely impact velocities, when going just behind the shoulder.

Just my $0.02. That 180gr Speer loaded to the gills in my Herrett made a very narrow wound channel compared to the 158gr Hornady (both gave complete penetration on broadside shots on small buck (<150 pounds un-dressed weight). Edit: both those bucks were in WI by the way!

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I also made Herrett brass from a stash of new 32 Spl brass I had. I alway like being "different", lol.

That was back in the early 80s. I would not use scarce 32 Spl brass today!!
I know you miss that sexy lil' 32 Spl you had

Seabeeken

Bearcat

Haven't seen one since the 80's when silhouette was the rage