3" sp101 or 4" gp100 for dedicated trail hiking?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yamalink

Bearcat
Looking to purchase a Ruger and can't decide between a 3" sp101 or a 4" gp100. I intend to use it as the main hiking 357; we go on some arduous long steep trails through the backcountry. This will not be used as daily ccw or extended range use other than becoming proficient with the firearm and then carrying it in a owb holster.

While I am also still deciding between a 357 and a 10mm (please let's not start a caliber debate), the 357 option is down to the two rugers, but I wanted input on the 1" barrel difference between the different sized revolvers. Will the 4" gp100's frame be considerably heavier than the 3" 101? Or would a good belt and holster negate the difference?

Thank you in advance.

raytracer

Bearcat
Since it's not a CCW (presumably) I'd go with the GP, mostly for the extra round.

You're absolutely right - a good belt and holster will make either one completely comfortable to carry all day long.

Joe

RonS

Single-Sixer
The weight difference is about 13oz.

A good belt and holster will help a lot and the GP is a better overall shooting platform, longer barrel, better sights six shots. I would handle both and see which you feel comfortable packing all day.

If I were you, I would also look around for a used 4" Security Six. Same six shots, good sights and less weight.

IMHO the GP is too heavy for a .357, if I am going to pack around a 40oz handgun it is going to be a .44 or .45. In fact, my Springfield Armory 1911 LW Champion weights 10 oz less and holds 2 more rounds of .45 acp.

kel ruger man

Single-Sixer
i have the 101 in the 2 inch. not real heavy and its a good shooter. in the future if you ever did want to carry it, at least you have it.

Cooper 54

Bearcat
It be the gp with the 4 inch barrel. Much better shooter out at 25 yds plus. The sp 101 to me is better for ccw.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
I vote for a 3" SP101 because it doesnt weigh nearly as much as a GP100 and it is much easier to hide. The 2" SP101 is nearly as accurate as the 4" GP100, at 25 yards so I think that the 3" ought to be a good average. I am assuming you will wear a holster, because the 2" SP101 gets a bit heavy in pocket holster after a while. With a good thumb snap holster (to prevent loss) the SP101 ought to be light enough to forget is on you. The 3" will be heavy enough to easily handle 158 357s and maybe 180s.

craigcpa

Bearcat
I have the 3" 101 for that purpose. I also have the 2" with CT for hd purposes. To me the GP is too much in my hand (not for my hand), whereas the SP fits perfectly. The SP is also lighter and fits nicely aside my waist in a Don Hume holster. Very easy traveling. As far as having one less round, if I can't do it with five, I probably can't do it with six.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
A good belt and holster DOES make the difference. I would get the widest belt too than will fit in the belt loops on one's pants.

While I do not carry or even have a holster, I do wear a 1½" belt for everyday wear. When I go to the trap range, I wear a 2-box shell pouch. Figure that a 25rnd box of target loads is close to 2 pounds each, I have had 4 pounds on my waist and after several hours, it never bothered me. The 4" GP100 is going to weigh almost a pound less. Heck, those two boxes of target loads weigh more than my 7½" barreled Super Redhawk.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
RonS said:
The weight difference is about 13oz.

A good belt and holster will help a lot and the GP is a better overall shooting platform, longer barrel, better sights six shots. I would handle both and see which you feel comfortable packing all day.

If I were you, I would also look around for a used 4" Security Six. Same six shots, good sights and less weight.

IMHO the GP is too heavy for a .357, if I am going to pack around a 40oz handgun it is going to be a .44 or .45. In fact, my Springfield Armory 1911 LW Champion weights 10 oz less and holds 2 more rounds of .45 acp.

Perfect response Ron.

I guess that Ron is saying:

1) The GP and SP shoot the same cartridge, the 13 extra ozs of the GP gives you only one more shot.
2) If the extra weight does matter, then carry the SP.
3) If the extra weight does not matter, carry a larger caliber.
4) The Security/Service/Speed Sixes are the middle ground with the same six rounds in a lower weight revolver.

My six-shot, aluminum gripped, 4 5/8 inch barrelled 45 Blackhawk can handle significant power in 230 gr bullets and it still weighs less than my 4 in GP100.

I would argue that revolvers make better survival weapons. The revolver's simplicity is more than enough (in my mind) to make up for the smaller capacity.

Dave

maxpress

Buckeye
2 thoughts. The GP is the better gun for trail deffence. The SP will get carried more. That goes to say I would have to recommend the SP. Goes back to the "22 in the pocket is better that a 44 in the nightstand theory.
As far a shootability? Not much of a difference for me. I am lousy with a 2" sp but between the 3" and the gp not enough to make a difference.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
+1 for the Security Six. I thought long and hard about the GP but ended up with a SS that was just over $300. They are a great little packing gun.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
The SP is much less likely to get in the way and / or become burdonsome during outdoor activities. Less likely to get left behind as a PITA after a while. A good comfortable holster is in order.

Mark IL NM

Bearcat
Just visiting from "the other" forum. I have both the 3" SP and the 3" GP. I carry the SP in the backcountry with Buffalo Bore 180 gr hard cast in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake with retention strap. Easy to carry, never tempted to leave it behind. When the SP is in the wrong state, I carry the GP (compact grip), which also works fine, but I am more likely to notice it after awhile than the SP. The two shoot pretty interchangeably-both dead on at 25 yards, same ballistics, same sight radius, same manual of arms--so it's all in the weight and the one extra shot, with a long time in the woods the weight is the main factor for me.

varmonter

Bearcat
Backpacking has been a lifelong hobby of mine.
the older i get the more i think about weight.
Titanium pots and lightweight alc stoves. In the hot dog days of summer I don't even pack a sleeping bag just a flannel liner.So 13oz may not seem like a lot
but after a week of through hiking it will make a difference.
Me??.. i would go with the sp101.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I own 2 sp101's and a gp100. My sp101's are great guns and I really like them. They shoot to poa as good as the gp does. They would pack a little better. But in my opinion for what you want out of a handgun between the 2 guns. I would have to go with the gp100. Because of the recoil factor using full house 357's the gp is a lot more comfortable shooter the sp101's are at their best with 38's they are exelent little guns load them with 357's higher end ammo and they become quite a handfull to control. In my opinion the gp100 is your best bet.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
yamalink said:
While I am also still deciding between a 357 and a 10mm (please let's not start a caliber debate), the 357 option is down to the two rugers, but I wanted input on the 1" barrel difference between the different sized revolvers. Will the 4" gp100's frame be considerably heavier than the 3" 101? Or would a good belt and holster negate the difference?
My 4" GP100 has been a very trusty and faithful field companion and I personally would go with choice hands down. Now that 1" of barrel may or may not make much of a difference and it largely depends on what you shoot. There are some loads out there that I consider 4" to be the absolute minimum in .357 Mag. You can load down, but for some of the hard hitting full power loads, you might be getting inconsistent burning dropping down below 4". The velocity may only suffer a small amount on average, but in my experience, the standard deviations go way up. I've seen this even on 4" barrels that get ported. For a CC self defense weapon, that doesn't matter too much, but for a field gun, it does bother me some. And IMO, a field gun in .357 should be packed to the gills.

But then, I stopped carrying that GP and started carrying my .45 Blackhawk, so I'm on the crazy side anyway. :twisted: