3 digit flat top??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dcl

Bearcat
Hi guys. Long story short. Buddy is selling a few older guns including his deceased fathers blackhawk. He knows I shoot/ collect handguns. He wants to sell me this. His desription was pretty vague. He's not a gun guy."Great shape,44 mag, barrel around 6-7",slight blue wear at muzzle, no rust,scratches or dings in wood. No box or papers. Serial number7xx. I know its not a very good description to base a price off of but where would a fair price start?? I had him confirm that the serial number only had 3 digits. How early of a gun is this?? Any and all help is much apprecitated. Dave

Smee781

Single-Sixer
If its an old 3 screw, this is from the Ruger web site.....I would get it, I love my 1958 flat top 44mag. Looks like your new gun would be a 1956 or 1957.

Blackhawk Revolver
(manufactured from 1956 to 1962)
Caliber: .44 Magnum

Beginning Serial Number: Years of Production:
1 1956
741 1957
5996 1958
14258 1959
22232 1960
26680 1961
28515 1962

VonFatman

Blackhawk
1-741 were manuf. in 1956 (according to the Ruger website)

741 - 5995 manuf. in 1957

Get a letter for accurate info...or join the collector's group!!

(according to the Ruger website)

Sounds like a KEEPER!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!

Bob

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
That is a great gun if in good condition. A 3 digit .44 flattop is very collectible. Would be a "type 2" gun with dimpled button ejector rod and the walnut panels. Sounds pretty nice but you'll have to judge it yourself. If the muzzle silvering is very minor and the only defect, it could be a 98% gun. Could be worth as much as $2K.

It should look a lot like this

BKH4-2126-left.jpg

Note the skinny curved trigger, the base pin with grooves set close together and no collar, the base pin latch nut with no hole drilled through, and the offset slot in the ejector rod housing. These are features that should be present on that one too. Also the rear sight elevation screw should have a reference pointer. If it has all that, it should be all original.

dcl

Bearcat
Wow, that was fast. I didn.t know it would be anywhere near that old. Where should a guy start with an offer on this revolver?? I have a feeling this one is going to get pricey. Thanks for the information. dcl

contender

Ruger Guru
It could ALSO be an OM Super Blackhawk. (I know, I know,, the title mentions Flattop, but we have too many non-gun folks misidentify guns so often,,!)
You need to get ahold of it, and determine which model it is,, And also,, the actual condition,,,! It truly affects the price.

dca- as contender says, there was also the Super Blackhawk in 44mag that has the square backed trigger guard. They are with their own serial number range and the 700 guns would fall in the early 1960s. Prices are somewat different as well. But they are not flat tops.

dcl

Bearcat
Thanks again for all the info. I won't be able to see this pistol till next week. Kinda feel like a kid at Christmas. I will gather as much info as possible and report back. hopefully with pistol in hand. Thanks again.
dave

flatgate

Hawkeye
43821280.jpg

12471545.jpg

Top pic; three digit .44 Blackhawk, backyard 'smith reblue job..non-original trigger :shock:

Bottom pic; three digit Super Blackhawk, "rid' hard/put up wet"!

flatgate

dcl

Bearcat
Well guys I got too see this gun last night. Finish about as rough as flatgates last picture. It is a flattop for sure. 71x serial number. plastic grips. Problem is, It sat in a crawlspace for 15 years. The action would not turn. Not rusty,just gunked up. It will be going to an auction this weekend along with the rest of this guys guns. He had some cool old guns-around 60 I think.Just not cared before after he passed away. I'll let you know how this gun sells on saturday. dave

Betcha an overnite in a bucket of kerosene, without the grips, would do wonders for it.

Sure like to see that ol' puppy. Might be the opportunity of a lifetime . . . or not.

:mrgreen:

dcl

Bearcat
Well guys I got it! Had to spend a whopping $420. I will try and figure out posting pics later tonite. Finish is better than the last pic of the super that Flatgate posted. I am pretty happy wih it so far. Thanks for all the help on this one. dave

dcl

Bearcat
Well now that the flattop is here, I'm thinking it needs wood grips instead of the plastic panels. Does ruger sell rosewood grips that will fit the xr-3 frame?? I called today and they were having a fire drill so I couldn't get an answer. Still trying to figure out the picture posting thing. Dave

flatgate

Hawkeye
dcl":3q404l7l said:
Well now that the flattop is here, I'm thinking it needs wood grips instead of the plastic panels. Does ruger sell rosewood grips that will fit the xr-3 frame?? I called today and they were having a fire drill so I couldn't get an answer. Still trying to figure out the picture posting thing. Dave

No, Ruger no longer sells a suitable grip. The New Vaquero and the 50th Anniv. Flattops and the .41 mag. (I think) and the .44 Special Flattops all use a "modern" XR-3 grip but the panels won't interchange with out some work.

Ah, but the Aftermarket and used part industry has you covered........

Look in Ruger Forum's gallery section for pic posting hints. You MUST store your images on a "server" and then use some simple "codes" to link the Ruger Forum to your images.

flatgate