25-20

Help Support Ruger Forum:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Can anyone clue me in on availability of 25-20 brass and reloading components etc. My father in law left a cheap bolt gun in this caliber for a nephew and I'm not up on this cartridge?

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
Brass is iffy to find. You might be able to find some 75gr Hornady hp's or some 60gr fp bullets. Maybe some coated lead bullets, but you will need a 3 die set to load those. I believe Unique will be your friend and depending on the gun, possibly some 680 or Lil Gun for hotter loads.

Go over to the leverguns forum and ask, they will have a lot more info than I can give you.

wheelgun1958

Buckeye
If you're talking about 25/20 wcf you can full length size 32/20 in a 25/20 wcf sizing die. 25/20 single shot is a different animal.

NikA

Buckeye
There's more than one .25-20 cartridge as well. If it's .25-20 WCF, brass can be fairly easily formed from .32-20, which is available. Bullets will be the same types as used in .256 Win Mag, albeit with much lighter loads. Not sure modern books have much data for .25-20, but the older Lyman guides have some good info.

Curious to know more about the cheap bolt gun.

Factory ammo for the .25-20 was around $85/box of 50 the last time I saw any. My wife has an old 1892 Winchester she likes to shoot, well she did until she found out it was over a buck every time she pulled the trigger.

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
I've actually loaded the .25-20 WCF for several firearms over 30 years, it can be a fun cartridge to shoot. A lot will depend on the condition of the OP's bore, early ammunition used corrosive primers.

I have used .32-20 brass on occasion, resized first in the .25-20 seating die, then in the FL die. I prefer Imperial Sizing wax for this. You certainly do not need a three die set, I have somehow gotten by with my old Redding 2-die set for 30 years.

Bullets from 60 to 86 grains can work in the OP's bolt rifle. For hunting I prefer the Hornady 60 FP and the Sierra 75 HP for targets, but others work fine. The Speer 75 FP was awesome in this cartridge - but is unfortunately discontinued.

Many powders work depending on the bullet used, from Unique and AA-5 to IMR4198 and AA-1680. For the OP's rifle I could suggest a 75-grain bullet (easier to find) and 8.0 grains of H110/W296 powder. This is a moderate load which should work well if the barrel is in good shape. As always, work up slowly in small increments, this is a small capacity case. Good luck!

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Well I dont have the bolt action in front of me my nephew has it but I think its a savage or Stevens. I dont think I will be reloading for it in the end as he got it with some loaded ammo. I may have a mix of new and once fired brass for sale after I make my final decision. I think I found around 150 rounds of brass.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have a Winchester 1892 25-20. I shoot Missouri Cast coated bullets thru it Brass is hard to find. Sierra does not make it. They do have 32-20. Remington used to sell these. I have a few boxes saved. I killed my first deer with this rifle.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
TX Nimrod said:
I've actually loaded the .25-20 WCF for several firearms over 30 years, it can be a fun cartridge to shoot. A lot will depend on the condition of the OP's bore, early ammunition used corrosive primers.

I have used .32-20 brass on occasion, resized first in the .25-20 seating die, then in the FL die. I prefer Imperial Sizing wax for this. You certainly do not need a three die set, I have somehow gotten by with my old Redding 2-die set for 30 years.

Bullets from 60 to 86 grains can work in the OP's bolt rifle. For hunting I prefer the Hornady 60 FP and the Sierra 75 HP for targets, but others work fine. The Speer 75 FP was awesome in this cartridge - but is unfortunately discontinued.

Many powders work depending on the bullet used, from Unique and AA-5 to IMR4198 and AA-1680. For the OP's rifle I could suggest a 75-grain bullet (easier to find) and 8.0 grains of H110/W296 powder. This is a moderate load which should work well if the barrel is in good shape. As always, work up slowly in small increments, this is a small capacity case. Good luck!
. Thank you!! Lots of good, accurate information here. 2400 powder can also be used.

langenc

Single-Sixer
For 25-20 WCF try 866-reloads or huntingtons.com according to the RELOADER mag I rec last week.

On the other hand ask on these websites for anyone no longer needing some they have. I got 100 or so that way couple yrs ago.
Alliant and or Hodgdon has reloading data for 25-20 WCF.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I have a custom Ruger SA in 25-20 Accurate and fun to shoot. Im a reloader and don't worry about cost. Reloading is my hobby.