.223 Rem - reload or buy factory?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
5eeucg.jpg

iqxw2h.jpg

I've been loading with 3031 and 4198 for this 1:12 twist Steyr for many years.
If in a store that has good ammo priced right I buy some.
It will shoot just about anything well.
Rem UMC 50gr JHP at 100yds with forearm resting on towels.
That was a called flyer as factory ammo does that to me. ;)

BillyTee

Bearcat
I have a little Ruger ultralite in .223 with a 20" barrell
I use Speer .224, 55 grains sp (I buy bulk lots of 1000)
The powder is Varget (I buy 8 lb container)
The brass is Australian military ADI manufacture (bought in bulk 500)
Primer is WSR ( also bought in 1000 lot)
My load is 26.5 grain.
Start at 25 grain and work up to it and keep an eye out for ease of extraction and bolt lift.
That load groups 3/4" for 3 shots regularly.
My lady bought it for me on my 60th birthday.
They are both keepers!

Sin6Sec63451022

Single-Sixer
I got an M4 AR for my birthday and am gearing up to reload for it. Anybody got a favorite recipe they would like to share? I,m mostly going to be just plinking and otherwise messing around, and will be shooting 55 grain FMJBT bullets. Does anyone use Reloder 7 for these? Thanks.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Sin6Sec63451022 said:
I got an M4 AR for my birthday and am gearing up to reload for it. Anybody got a favorite recipe they would like to share? I,m mostly going to be just plinking and otherwise messing around, and will be shooting 55 grain FMJBT bullets. Does anyone use Reloder 7 for these? Thanks.

Hi,

I've loaded 55 gr FMJBT over Reloder 7 for some buddies. The recipe came from Mr. Lee's Modern Reloading book, 1st Ed. My BIL likes it in his Mini 14, and I asked about it here before starting--second opinion, ya know--and was told it might be a little fast for an AR. Short version: I tried it, and it shoots really nicely out of a Savage Axis bolt action, and 3 out of 4 ARs we've tried.

The ones that work are factory builds (various lesser known names), while the problem child is a home built on an "80% receiver" that cycles fine with factory 5.56 ammo but won't cycle a max load of either Rel 7 or Win 748 in .223. I was warned here about such a possibility, too! So we're at a temporary impasse on it for now. The rest of the guys were happy with the Rel 7 ammo!

Rick C