. 22 mag autos, wish Ruger still made them

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
love the .22 Mag cartridge, hard hitting, good defensive and varmint gun, pretty accurate and cheap and available ammo, at least there was at one time.
The Magnum Research 10/22mag style action guns are pretty high cost. But nice toys.
I had hoped that Kel Tec might bring out a carbine of the PMR-30 auto pistol action. That would a nice toy, especially in a bullpup configuration.
I had always hoped that someone would build a top tray feed and mag well ejection like the FN 5.7 AR uppers. Make a nice AR that could shoot .22 Mag.
When I was a kid, one of my cousins had a early 60's tube feed pump .22 mag Winchester that was really fast firing and pretty accurate. Never did see a .22 Mag auto in that square receiver design.
H&K ,22 Mag are sweet, but really high priced when you can find them.
I saw a varmint calling video and the hunter had a 10/22 Mag with a night vision scope on it, he was taking Bobcats with very little pelt damage at over 130yds with it.

9x19

Hunter
Browning made a pump (BPR22) in .22 Mag, and Rossi made a Magnum version (M59) of the old Winchester 62.

Remington had their own semi-auto (597M) in .22 Mag (probably easier/cheaper to find than the Ruger 10/22M).

I've owned all but the Rossi, but these days, I get by with my Ruger American bolt guns (bought all three with the proceeds from a single 10/22M).

toysoldier

Hunter
The long, skinny case of the .22 Magnum is about as poor a choice for a semi-auto action as you could design. It takes a sophisticated (and therefore expensive) design to make it work.

How about a semi-auto chambered for the 7.62 Tokarev? It ought to be a good coon/coyote cartridge, and reloadable.

Winchester made a Model 275 pump and AMT made a semi auto pistol in .22 mag.

https://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1110495696

mishtub

Blackhawk
Don, Kel-tec advertises a .22 WMR semi auto rifle.
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/cmr-30/rifle/

9x19

Hunter
Kodiak and H&R also built .22 Mag semis, and I think the last iteration of AMT built a stainless version of the H&R. Remington's 597M was probably in production longer than any of the others.

Don Lovel

Hunter
mishtub said:
Don, Kel-tec advertises a .22 WMR semi auto rifle.
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/cmr-30/rifle/

Several years ago I talked with a Kel Tek guy at the NRA show, he said then they wanted a PMR-30 carbine, looks like it is finally going to come available

Chris

Blackhawk
Don

Not a auto but Henry makes some sweet level action rifles in 22 mag, the action on my golden boy is like glass.

http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/lever-action-22-magnum-rifle/

and they also make a pump action as well.

http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/pump-action-octagon-rifle/

Chris

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Bought my H&K 300 22WMRF semi-auto for $359 brand new back in the late '80s. Sat in the case for a couple years, they couldn't sell them. Now look at the prices - the magazines almost go for that these days! Yes, many a jackbunny tumbled to that rifle.

abumpa

Bearcat
I have the Excel Arms 22 magnum rifle. So far I have found it to be accurate and 100 percent functional. Rifle is fun to shoot but the scope they sell in a cheap POJ. I put a Nikon rimfire 3-9 on it and it works great.

tek4260

Buckeye
The best semi auto 22 Mag rifle I have ever played with was the CZ 611. I acted a fool and got rid of it, and to add insult to injury, the prices have went up a good bit.

sebtool

Blackhawk
abumpa said:
I have the Excel Arms 22 magnum rifle. So far I have found it to be accurate and 100 percent functional. Rifle is fun to shoot but the scope they sell in a cheap POJ. I put a Nikon rimfire 3-9 on it and it works great.

I was checking 1 of these out at the LGS on Saturday. Very handy sized, a little barrel heavy, but there's nothing wrong with that. I did a little research on them, American made in Ca. Reviews were fair, some, like above said they were great. Some reported a lot of jamming, probably needed a good cleaning and some lube. I dry fired it with a snap cap and the trigger was OK. Kind of long, but could have been a lot worse.... It had potential, put it that way! :wink:

My next purchase is going to be a .22 mag rifle, just not sure which 1 yet. So far, the RAR Compact and the Excel are on the short list of new guns. Unless I run into a good deal on a used M77, or maybe an old Marlin, it will probably be 1 of those 2. 8)

Yotecallr

Bearcat
Remington has the 597 in 22 magnum. I put a Volquartsen hammer and extractor in my new one recently. It shoots great, I plan on finding the most accurate ammo but it may be CCI.

altajava

Bearcat
A friend of mine works at my not so local gun store. Last week he calls me to say he got a gun in on trade I need to see, which is the reason I have two safes. Anyway, he knows I have a 10/22 magnum. So this weekend I put what cash I had down on a Marlin 922. He says I will now own two of the rarer .22 magnums he knows of. I also had to put some cash down on a single six he had, in .32 H&R. Thinking I should just put a deposit on a third safe now, it will be paid off by the time I really need it.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I just went looking for .22Mag ammo. Several sources have a good supply,
and their prices run from 30cents/round to 45cents/round. I wonder if that's
why they have so much available? :roll: