22/45 with red dot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm looking at getting a model 10140 22/45 target and I'm thinking I'm going to put a small reflex red dot on it.

Anything I should know about this model 22/45?

Any recommendations on the small red dot, keeping it under $100ish.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

ChattanoogaPhil

Bearcat
22/45 is a fine pistol

I use a Primary Arms micro dot on my 22/45 and my 15-22. Have been for years. Under $100

DSC05868_zpshk1irr9e.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have a stainless steel 22/45 MkII 5.5" Bull Barrel that was factory drilled and tapped and i have a Weaver base on it. It has a Bushnell TRS25 Red dot and the combination works very well

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mobuck said:
I've used a TruGlo on mine but it's only marginally acceptable. Some flare and blurring of the dot but holds zero fine.
A bit off-topic but is the flair/blurring unique to the TruGlo or do you experience it with other Red Dots too? The reason I ask is that I experienced the same thing with several Red Dot sights until I had cataract surgery. It turns out the problem was with my eyes, not the sights.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd have to say the blurring or starburst effect can be either your eyes, or the sight. I've handled cheaper ones & found the dot quality lacking,,. But if your eyes are good, and/or you have corrected vision due to surgery or glasses,,, the dot on good ones is often quite distinct.

AimPoints are expensive but worth it if your life depends on the optic. At this point in time, my life doesn't depend on a 22 pistol so I use the $25-50 el-cheapo brands. It is an improvement especially in speed of engagement. With the dot, I don't need to line up sights-just put dot on target and BANG.
My younger daughter-in-law has zero experience with firearms but can hit pretty well with a dot mounted pistol but very inconsistent with sights.
I took the dot off my suppressed 22/45 simply because I don't have and haven't found a holster that will fit with both. I have a Kydex but it works with an optic but only for 1" and under diameter cans.

grobin

Blackhawk
Take a look at the Trijicon 1x25mm MRO 2.0 MOA Adjustable Red Dot Sight. It's pricey but very good!

Take a look at the https://www.tandemkross.com/BlackDog-Ruger-MK-Series-Red-Dot-Scoped-Holster-HIGH-RIDE_p_87.html Black Dog, there is also a low ride version.

m657

Buckeye
The only 'under $100 red dot' I've found that's worth my money let alone my time, is the marvelous Burris TRS-25. I've had a sad series of wasted efforts & wasted $$ on the imported econo specials.

And by some coincidence, the Burris Fast Fires are most excellent as well, although a bit more $.

talon1961

Bearcat
I currently have a sightmark pro on mine and it's not bad at all. I'm looking at a new Vortex right now and probably will get the viper or venom. A friend has one on his and I like it a bit better. Here's mine. Not the best pics but you get the idea.

ColoradoCanuck

Bearcat
I went through a couple of cheaper imports (in the $40-$50 range) ... they were fun to play with initially, with multiple reticles in both red and green, but they didn't hold up well. I now have C-Mores on both my 22/45 Lite and 10/22. They are well over $100 (more like $250+), but they seem to have a good rep. The main reason I went with C-Mores is I like a big dot ... I use a 16 MOA for shooting speed steel, and I haven't found another brand that has a dot that size (and C-More does give you the option of switching out the dot module for a different size dot).

contender

Ruger Guru
I have found the Burris Fastfire to be quite good. I have not owned any Bushnell red dots,, so I can't speak for them. If it helps,,, I see the Burris used in competition, but I haven't seen any of the Bushnells.

Blackmore, I like the way the red dot sits on your 22/45. I like how low it is, without extra rail sticking out everywhere. Nice setup you've got.

I bought a Bushnell, called the First strike or something like that. It's a small reflex red dot on Amazon for $119 I like it. It has a built in mount. The thing I like about it though is there is no on off button. It has a cover to turn it on or off. Not sure about the Burris fast fire. It also has a "self regulating" brightness controls depending on how bright it is outside. I don't compete so it's great. If I did compete I'd probably want something a little bit nicer.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have three of the Bushnell TRS25's ,had them for three years ,and all of them function fine. Red dot flare is generally an eye sight problem. The dots get better
with or with out glasses ,depending on your eyes.
The Burris Fast fire is a good sight . I guess it is what you are used to for a sight picture.

dougader

Hunter
contender said:
I have found the Burris Fastfire to be quite good. I have not owned any Bushnell red dots,, so I can't speak for them. If it helps,,, I see the Burris used in competition, but I haven't seen any of the Bushnells.

Thanks, Ty. I know a couple guys at the local club use them. One is on a suppressed 22/45 and it's a real sweet shooter.