21" Ruger M77 9.3x62 African carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RJ556

Buckeye
Where I hunt here in the Carpathian Mountains, the forests are very thick. Everything snags a long barrel. When drive hunting for boars here, you will have encounters, sometimes very close, with brown bears. I am a big fan of shorter barrels when hunting here.

RJ556

Buckeye
Thanks guys. There was some compromises in moving to Romania. My limited retirement funds allow me to live a better living standard than I would be able to in the U.S. and the hunting is much more affordable. Reloading is not legal here for metallic cartridges, but many brands of ammo are readily available for 9.3x62 as well as other cartridges I use, ( .223, 243, 6.5 Swede, 270, 7x57, 308, 30-06 12 and 20 gauges). In the U.S. I shot a lot and hunted a little. Here I shoot a little and hunt a lot.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
I have that rifle in a Hawkeye African 9.3x62, 23" barrel. I didn't think a 21" was produced. Where did you get it?

RJ556

Buckeye
Your thinking is correct. It never was produced from the factory with a 21" barrel. I bobbed it. The most difficult part, other than pulling the front sight base, was opening up the inside diameter of the sight base band to fit the diameter of the barrel at its new location. The rifle is really much more usable now for the areas I hunt. RJ

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
That is a great and rare rifle from Ruger.(produced one year and not very many) The 9.3x62 is an extremely under used cartridge here in North America.

Rugershoe

Bearcat
On the subject of the African series, I acquired one NIB in .223 and was told it was quite rare (1 of 32). Anyone have any info?

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Thats a great rifle. I hunt hogs and bear in thick timber and a 20" .300 win mag Benelli R1 is my weapon of choice. Short and poweful makes for a great brush gun.

RJ556

Buckeye
Two days ago I was out shooting this rifle. I fired a dozen 286 grain rounds through it with no discomfort at all. It groups very well with the iron sights at 50 meters. I shot it standing and my shots were within 2" of my benched shots. Other than the shortened barrel, I bedded the action, free floated the barrel and installed a 1" Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. The rifle weighs 7 pounds 7 ounces with the iron sights. Of course 4 rounds in the magazine and a light weight sling add another half a pound. The balance feels perfect to me and I'm looking forward to hunting driven boars this fall.

700xcr

Bearcat
I have a 20" 375 Ruger Guide Gun and installed a NECG Ruger Ghost Ring Peep Sight and Ruger Front Partridge Sight. Make a handy brush and timber rifle.

wunbe

Buckeye
I have a custom Ruger #1B in 9.3 x62 and all up -- strapped, scoped, and full of rounds (grin) -- it nudges 8 1/2 lbs.

Shooting it it is a lively experience even with the after-factory, serious, recoil pad but it is by no means punishing.

Dropping two pounds down would turn it into a real jolter with not much of a serious chance at a second shot on a charging boar/bear in the the thick stuff. Can you carry a big bore sidearm there?

wunbe

RJ556

Buckeye
No. No handguns are allowed for hunting and not even for other purposes without a special permit. I cannot quite figure out this recoil thing. For me, recoil is more noticeable shooting my 77KRSI in 7x57 with 173 grain loads than shooting the African 9.3x62 with 286 grain loads. With irons, the 9.3 weighs 7 pounds, 6.25 ounces and the 7x57 weighs 6 pounds, 14 ounces. These weights are without sling or ammo. A sling and 4 rounds adds about 9 ounces to the 9.3 and about 7 to the 7x57. The stocks are both factory Hawkeye and appear to be the same shape from the front of the receiver to the recoil pad. However, the reason the 9.3 feels so moderate is probably because it wears a 1" Pachmayr Decellerator pad and the 7x57 has the standard rubber factory 1/2" pad. RJ

Latest posts