147 grain in the P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buster cat

Bearcat
Time to purchase new self defense ammo. I have always used 124 grain +p in my P95. Thinking about getting a couple of boxes of +p 147 grain. How does it function, any problems you would care to mention. What brand or brands would any one recommend?

Interested in all replies.

Thanks

Buster Cat...........

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
I think you would be better served with a 124 or 115 grain bullet . Reason being is that point of impact will be higher with the 147 grainer. Plus most 147 gr bullet penentrate /over penetrate due to their higher sectional density. Your slide recoil impulse is also different with a heavier grain bullet. I have seen the results of 147 grainer terminal ballistics in a real world situation and was totally unimpressed.. For my money a 115 grainer +p+ is sufficient . Hope this helps.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have finished shaving my head and I will soon go to my legs and feet, I like to rock the chest hair. I might shave one of my cats later.

Buster, most 9mm guys feel that 115gr and 124gr probably bring out the best in that round.

...but the cofiicent of the lobotomy of done cursors can manipulate the oven mitten, spankified

tkarter

Single-Sixer
It will work but not much better or worse than any other self defense ammo choice. Make sure you know where it shoots and if it is awesome post a thread on that fact. :D

tk

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have some winchester 147grain hp, i haven't shot them in my p95 but did in my sccy cpx1. they are the most accurate 9mm load i've found for my sccy, while others have done ok the 147grain can nearly drive tacks at 10yds. i'll get out as soon as i can and fire a few thru my p95.

GhosT

Blackhawk
I tend to agree with the other posters.
Lighter weight +p rounds.

I keep mine loaded with CORBONS.
(Silvertips were pretty accurate in my P95 too)
Yup old round designs,but work well.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i finally shot a few in my p95, can't say any more accurate than my other ammo. but their not any less accurate either, good ammo and the way my sccy shoots it i'm definitely getting more. thanks

TRanger

Blackhawk
You don't state a specific reason for considering the 147 grain loads. If you are looking for deeper penetration, they will provide that to a degree. I would lean toward the Speer Gold Dot load if I were inclined to use this weight. I have seen a great deal of range use of this load in a variety of guns without any particular problems.

resident

Single-Sixer
mexicanjoe":2bkbp2od said:
I think you would be better served with a 124 or 115 grain bullet . Reason being is that point of impact will be higher with the 147 grainer. Plus most 147 gr bullet penentrate /over penetrate due to their higher sectional density. ....
That FBI shootout in Florida in the 1980's proved some things .... one being that 9mm suffers from lack of penetration....so the more penetration the better, in my opinion. (No such thing as over-penetration, IMO. The more holes they leak blood from the better. Whether the 147 gr will do that is another matter, however.) IMO

tkarter

Single-Sixer
9mm ball out penetrates your .45 ball every time.

The FBI shoot out shows what a rifle can do against handguns and ill prepared FBI agents for what they encountered.

tk

My old man taught me something and believe me... 60 years ago he 'saw the tiger' ...this probably would have been helpful in the FBI shoot out.....

if your life depends on it,
Aim for the head, not center mass... one of two things will happen... you will either miss and you shoot again if lucky or you will hit them and they are done....end of game.

GhosT

Blackhawk
resident said,

"That FBI shootout in Florida in the 1980's proved some things .... one being that 9mm suffers from lack of penetration....so the more penetration the better, in my opinion."

Resident....WITH TOTAL RESPECT to yer opinion.

That shootout was the EXCEPTION to the rule IMHO.
There was a ton of experts that dissected that shoot out over the next several years.

If memory serves, they were using SILVERTIP 115 grain JHP's....
But the hits were far from well placed!

The SILVERTIP 115's actually had/have a good "1 shot stopping" record...
for a 9mm.

The CORBONS in my P95 are only 110 grain, but +P+ loads.
Designed after POLICE LOADS.
Although they penetrate enough to do serious damage, The shock wave they put out will wreck internal organs not hit.
That equals a fast STOP!

The heavier weight bullets do have their place too.(providing their hollow points expand.)

I live in a northern state...come winter...people wear leather jackets.
I have seen more than a few reports that show....leather filling in a hollow point,turning it into almost a FMJ...ZERO EXPANSION!
And a light weight FMJ, so not enough penetration!
And with out expansion, WAY LESS shock wave!

Then the heavier 9mm rounds win out bigtime!

I do have a .40SW,2 .357's, and a .44 magnum(all Rugers) which gives me options...

If I was limited to my P95 alone........
I might choose a heavier bullet weight!

resident

Single-Sixer
tkarter":1t0zwd5o said:
9mm ball out penetrates your .45 ball every time.

The FBI shoot out shows what a rifle can do against handguns and ill prepared FBI agents for what they encountered.

tk

(Respectfully): I guess the U.S. Army's decision that 36 caliber bullets were not good stoppers during the Phillipine/Moro insurrection and their subsequent decision to return to .45 caliber useage was a mistake then? (And the fact that the Army has again made the same foolish mistake simply proves they didn't remember their own history, in my opinion...but... "I guess that's what we should expect when we try to be an "Ally" instead of the US Army."- Gen.George S. Patton

tkarter

Single-Sixer
It isn't bullet size. It is what I have witnessed. 9mm ball goes through things a .45 ACP won't due to velocity.

Sure you hit a body with the .45 it will be better than the 9.

shot placement is what any and all handgun rounds will get the job done with.

imho

tk

Spikess

Bearcat
rich642z":xr6p2crx said:
I carry the Hornady Critical Defense in my P95 and my 3 Glocks in 9 mm. rich642z

I've got some of that too, but I haven't tried it yet. Great looking bullet! Have you heard anything about "failure to fire" with some of the 9mm CD? That's the rumor I've been getting.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
Spikess,no I have not heard of any FTFs or FTEs. See,the Hornady Critical is shape almost like aball ammo so,feeding will not be a problem and with the plug in the hollowpoint cavaty,is passed the test in states on the east coast where you cannot use hollowpoint ammo. I even got a pallet load of all the ammo from .380 thru .45 acp just for our own for testing compared to the other ammo that is out there. So far,not one hitch but,when they first came out,the primers were either to hard or to soft. I have spoken by phone with Hornady rep I work with to get ammo and told them for the 9mm thru .45acps they should make other weight grains of the Critical defense ammo. They are testing as I type. Hopefully sometime soon,we should give us some notification about having different weight grains for the .380thru the .45acp amoo. rich642z