10/22 ruger question on ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
The 10/22 will happily digest ANY .22 Long Rifle ammo. Some will prove more accurate than others, some will crud up the internals and require more frequent cleaning (Remington Thunderbolts, for one), and some of the "standard velocity" loads will occasionally fail to feed, especially on a new rifle, since they barely have enough punch to fully cycle the action.

But... "ruin the rifle"..... no way.

9x19

Hunter
Standard velocity ammo (like the aguila mentioned above) will rarely cycle the action in a stock 10/22.

The bolt chamfer mod was first done to make the rifle reliable with the slower stuff... and will usually work.

My experience is what will function in a 10-22 is very dependent on the amount of use the rifle has had. I currently have one nearly new 10-22(use wise it's nearly new) and 1/2 dozen varying in age but "well broken in". The older rifles will "run" on several ammo types/brands that the new one balks with.
More a matter of spring strength, smoothness of action, and magazine condition than a general statement about what will or won't work in any given rifle.

Yep, all of my 10/22s cycle just about any ammo I feed them... can't remember any really being a problem even though the cheaper stuff seems to have more FTF or FTE... but then if you pay attention, the cheap stuff will often have varying 'crack' sounds as you fire it... a sure sign of poor quality control. Ultimately the real concern is accuracy and the cheap stuff never seems to make the grade for me.... does not mean you have to buy the high end super target rounds but do need to look for something that the rifle likes....

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
Well this past week end I did try it in the ruger 10/22 1992 model Rifle
Results were no better then Remington bulk ammo Aquila 40 Gr. was outstanding maybe a fail to cycle the bolt 1 in 40 rounds other then that the Grann-daughter was hitting moth-balls at 30 yards

Latest posts