Why single action woods or outdoor gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin said:
Most, but not all, modern revolvers and pistols have a passive trigger safety, that is regardless of the gun being cocked it will not fire. Unless the trigger is pulled! Older revolvers without this feature must be carried with the hammer down on an empty cylinder! Even this precaution can fail. I was at a Cowboy Action event that had a riding component. A contestant was mounting in a hurry and somehow managed to catch the the hammer on something, that cocked the revolver on a loaded cylinder, when the hammer released the revolver fired! No one was hit by the bullet but the contestant was injured when the horse took exception and bolted! Weird freak accident!

With the trigger safety this would not have happened. Everyone needs to come into this century and upgrade.

Just for clarity... what specific part is this "passive trigger safety" of which you speak?

Are you referring to a transfer bar, as found on Ruger New Model single-action revolvers?

Are you referring to a hammer block safety, as found on some double-action revolvers where the firing pin is mounted on the hammer?

Are you referring to something else entirely?

Some clarification on your part would be helpful. Including references to specific firearm models, and using the parts nomenclature of the manufacturer of those fireams, would perhaps help us understand what you're trying to say.

Still, I predict most here will continue to hold the same opinion of your proposed carry practices... :shock: :mrgreen:

cas6969

Buckeye
grobin said:
Most, but not all, modern revolvers and pistols have a passive trigger safety, that is regardless of the gun being cocked it will not fire. Unless the trigger is pulled!

Right! Which is how most AD/ND's happen.

bogus bill

Hunter
cholo, I corrected that evidently just before or while you posted. I proof read what I had wrote and seen I had mistated it and corrected evidently after you read it. I was hoping in theory grobin also made a mistake but he is hanging with it. Also in that video it STILL doesnt make sense. If the auto was already cocked (I haven't researched what brand and model the agent was carrying), if the auto was cocked there should have been a safety on to switch off before the trigger was pulled or if it was a uncocked double action auto it seems it should have taken a long trigger pull to set it off. In either case I doubt by grabbing it even by surprise that auto would have went off if it were a uncocked double action auto or revolver. It really looked to me like the agents gun had to be cocked with whatever type safety it has OFF to fire like it did when he grabbed it by the trigger. What make and model gun was it? A cocked auto IF on safety should take TWO actions to fire, the safety pushed off and trigger pulled. Its hard to believe or understand that a FBI agent would be carrying a cocked and UNLOCKED pistol around. By getting into this story that backflip event is starting to look more complicated than I assumed up to now! I am beginning to think he was carrying that gun with the safety off!

grobin

Blackhawk
Uncle Howie said:
Just for clarity... what specific part is this "passive trigger safety" of which you speak?

Are you referring to a transfer bar, as found on Ruger New Model single-action revolvers?

Are you referring to a hammer block safety, as found on some double-action revolvers where the firing pin is mounted on the hammer?

Are you referring to something else entirely?

Some clarification on your part would be helpful. Including references to specific firearm models, and using the parts nomenclature of the manufacturer of those fireams, would perhaps help us understand what you're trying to say.

Still, I predict most here will continue to hold the same opinion of your proposed carry practices... :shock: :mrgreen:

A passive trigger safety can be any one of those. It's any mechanism that does not need to be engaged to be active (passive) which prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled. For the Blackhawk it's the transfer bar. For other revolvers and pistols-each manufacturer has their own term.

cas you are absolutely right!!

woodperson

Single-Sixer
"Most, but not all, modern revolvers and pistols have a passive trigger safety, that is regardless of the gun being cocked it will not fire. Unless the trigger is pulled!"

Exactly. And it is so much easier to pull a SA revolver trigger accidentally with the gun cocked than not cocked. Hence carry it hammer down.

I confess. I do not carry a handgun at all. But I would hate to be with someone who does what Grobin is current advocating.

I really do hope he is a total troll.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I am looking at 2 New Models, (empty!). When hammer is cocked, transfer bar covers about half of firing pin. There goes that silly "Passive" theory.

daveg.inkc said:
The idea behind "Transfer Bar" is to keep hammer from firing pin when cylinder is fully loaded. Not to pack hammer cocked.

Yes, once it is cocked a new model is just as able to go off with a bump of the trigger as an old model. NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

Some people are just plain ignorant......GEEZ!!!!!

Heliman said:
Yes, once it is cocked a new model is just as able to go off with a bump of the trigger as an old model. NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

Some people are just plain ignorant......GEEZ!!!!!

Exactly. Hard to argue with good common sense. I know a guy who just had his hammer go back as he was going through the brush in Alaska. He nearly died when his gun went off.
If you don't believe it, his name was Harold Nye.