Why single action woods or outdoor gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"Carrying a S.A. cocked makes it faster than a DA and with some practice follow-up shots are as fast and more likely to be on target. YMMV!"

I've seen him post this type of comment before, and unfortunately, it's not a typo and he seems to be serious. Several experienced and knowledgeable shooters have advised him that this is a very poor practice, to no avail. At a minimum I believe he should stop offering this irresponsible advice because eventually some naive new shooter may actually take it, with disasterous results.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
arfmel said:
"Carrying a S.A. cocked makes it faster than a DA and with some practice follow-up shots are as fast and more likely to be on target. YMMV!"

I've seen him post this type of comment before, and unfortunately, it's not a typo and he seems to be serious. Several experienced and knowledgeable shooters have advised him that this is a very poor practice, to no avail. At a minimum I believe he should stop offering this irresponsible advice because eventually some naive new shooter may actually take it, with disasterous results.

I'm pretty sure he means single action pistol like 1911.
I carried a cocked (and locked) 1911 pistol (and occasionally a Browning Hi-Power) in a IWB holster daily for many years and never had any issues.

Sugar River

Buckeye
1ruger said:
arfmel said:

I carried a cocked (and locked) 1911 pistol (and occasionally a Browning Hi-Power) in a IWB holster daily for many years and never had any issues.

No, he doesn't.

grobin

Blackhawk
Sugar River said:
1ruger said:
arfmel said:

No, he doesn't.

OK lets see if we an straighten this out and get back on topic. I am referring to current production Ruger SA revolvers carried in a holster with normal retention and which covers the trigger. Just like a DA the revolver will only fire if the trigger is pulled.

This is the same as the Glock and other striker fired pistols normally carried with a round in the chamber. This is the norm for duty carry.

Please explain what is wrong with this!

I have seen folks that carry a single action or double action revolver with the hammer cocked and the holster strap between the hammer and the frame. I guess that might be okay. But I'm sure as heck not going to try it out.

If one draws a revolver properly they can cock the hammer in plenty of time to pull the trigger once the sights are aligned on the target.

Ok. Glocks don't have short, crisp, light trigger pulls like single action revolvers. Striker fired pistols are designed to be safe carried with a round in their chamber, and many are cocked (or partially cocked) by the act of the trigger being pulled, similar to a double action revolver. The transfer bar in a revolver is to prevent it from going off from a blow to the hammer, not to allow a person to carry it cocked. Single action revolvers aren't designed to be carried cocked and I am certain that no manufacturer of single action (or double action, for that matter) revolvers would approve of their weapon being carried cocked. And there's no good reason to do so.

bogus bill

Hunter
A Colt 1911 or copycats style autos many people do carry "cocked and locked". Meaning it`s a single action auto that is cocked but with a safety and it on!!!! You thumb the safety off after or while you are drawing the gun out of the holster as opposed to a double action auto that just has a long hard trigger pull for the first shot. This is what I was hoping you might have been referring to but explained it wrong. But it still is clouded as to what you intended to write or explain. I cant believe ANYONE would intentionally holster carry either a single action or double action revolver cocked in a holster! If they do I am finding a place to get out of the way! Once I was on the sheriffs dept range for my annual requalification. The rangemaster spotted a guy with a cocked DA revolver in his holster. He bellered for the guy to freeze and not move a muscle, walked over and himself drew the guys cocked revolver out of his holster and lowered the hammer. I once did it myself by neglect too. I came into the ready room at shift change. I was dead tired from working 12 hours of graveyard and went to unholster my gun. I started out on single actions when I was young and probably shot them more for years than double action revolvers even though we carried DA revolvers on my guard department. I absentmindedly cocked my revolver in the holster! I immediately realised I did, and walked out to spit out my copenhagen and no one was the wiser.
No semi educated gun person would purposely carry either a SA nor DA revolver cocked in their holster on purpose!
Now there HAS BEEN some single action revolvers carried with the hammer down on the strap of a holster with the leather strap with the hammer resting on the strap, maybe with a hole in the strap for the firing pin poked into it BUT even then the hammer is`nt cocked but is down and hopefully on a empty chamber. I don't mean to demean or harp on this and still think we must have a failure to communicate here, but cant chance the way I read that post to be not cleared up.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
It's amazing that someone would contemplate doing this! As a child, I knew not to cock the hammer until I was on target. If a person does this, they need to play with cap guns. I saw toy guns in Classifieds here, did they sell?

grobin said:
OK lets see if we an straighten this out and get back on topic. I am referring to current production Ruger SA revolvers carried in a holster with normal retention and which covers the trigger. Just like a DA the revolver will only fire if the trigger is pulled.

This is the same as the Glock and other striker fired pistols normally carried with a round in the chamber. This is the norm for duty carry.

What is wrong with it is that the Glocks and other striker-fired guns have a trigger pull that is considerably longer and heavier than either SA or DA revolvers have when cocked. It is definitely NOT the same as with striker-fired guns. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

MaxP

Buckeye
grobin said:

Seriously? This is an accident waiting to happen, IMHO.

bogus bill

Hunter
ts like years ago I met a stranger deer hunter where I was camped. He wanted to hunt with me. He was carrying a Remington 760 pump 30/06. I looked over and could see the red colored safety button was off. I reminded him. A little later I looked over and see it was off again. This time he told me he had it off on purpose as it was faster than having than having to push the button if we jumped a deer! I quit hunting with him. It takes something like only a two pounds pressure to light off a round on that rifle or either a cocked SA or DA revolver! It only takes a millisecond to cock a revolver or push a safety off. Now to pull the trigger through a DA revolver takes what, about 10 pounds pressure or more? You aren't going to light one off by accident without consciously pulling it through. That's the safety of a DA revolver. Carrying a cocked DA or SA revolver in a holster would only take a slight bump or whatever to set it off. Next to impossible with a uncocked revolver. I STILL cant believe the poster actually carried or carry`s a revolver cocked in the holster and believe this must have been a misprint in what he was trying to write.

grobin

Blackhawk
arfmel et al thanks for responding with a reason instead of just of "Oh Oh Oh Look LOOK bad BAD!" 8 Glocks typically have ~5+ lb trigger pull and the triggers are pretty rough from the factory. This can be fixed, my Glock 40 has a 2.25 lb pull with no take up and is nice and smooth. Took some effort and parts but it works just fine. The striker fire pistols I've dealt with have nothing like a double action trigger pull. The fact that many folks tweak their DC Glocks and that a ~5lbs pull isn't that much is why the occasional case of Glock leg. In reality the difference between carrying a 1911 coked and locked and a Glock is that the only "safety" on the Glock is the passive trigger safety where the 1911 has a plethora of safeties. The equivalent of the Glock trigger safety on a SA is the built in 'it only fires if the trigger is pulled' safety. Carrying without a holster that protects the trigger from accidentally being pulled is bad, I agree, but that goes for a DA too.

This only applies to new model Blsckhawks or similar with a passive trigger safety!. Old model Blackhawks and similar are only safe to carry with the hamer down on an empty cylinder!

Any range officer will be up set with a cocked revolver-he has no way to tell if it has a safety or not!

:shock: Hell, I have been TOO safe these past 58 years! :shock: :shock: What have I been thinking...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am abandoning this thread. Just a bunch of nonsense.........

grobin said:
arfmel et al thanks for responding with a reason instead of just of "Oh Oh Oh Look LOOK bad BAD!" 8 Glocks typically have ~5+ lb trigger pull and the triggers are pretty rough from the factory. This can be fixed, my Glock 40 has a 2.25 lb pull with no take up and is nice and smooth. Took some effort and parts but it works just fine. The striker fire pistols I've dealt with have nothing like a double action trigger pull. The fact that many folks tweak their DC Glocks and that a ~5lbs pull isn't that much is why the occasional case of Glock leg. In reality the difference between carrying a 1911 coked and locked and a Glock is that the only "safety" on the Glock is the passive trigger safety where the 1911 has a plethora of safeties. The equivalent of the Glock trigger safety on a SA is the built in 'it only fires if the trigger is pulled' safety. Carrying without a holster that protects the trigger from accidentally being pulled is bad, I agree, but that goes for a DA too.

This only applies to new model Blsckhawks or similar with a passive trigger safety!. Old model Blackhawks and similar are only safe to carry with the hamer down on an empty cylinder!

Any range officer will be up set with a cocked revolver-he has no way to tell if it has a safety or not!

:idea: Glock pistols actually have three separate safeties as part of their "Safe Action" system: https://us.glock.com/learn/glock-pistols/safe-action-system

The Glocks that I have owned all had a 5-lb. factory trigger spring, but that in no way translated into only a 5-lb. trigger pull... :p

:arrow: If anyone can find a manufacturer that recommends their revolvers (single- OR double-action) be carried cocked in a holster, I'd certainly be interested in seeing such documentation.

Until then, I'm of the opinion that such a practice is not only unsafe, but also idiotic.

The words the court will probably use will be substantially similar to "criminally negligent." :oops:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
For those who claim that the SA is more accurate than a DA, an objective test does not support this. In fact the Redhawk, in the hands of Chuck Hawks, was more accurate than the Super Blackhawk.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_ruger_super_blackhawk_redhawk.htm

bogus bill

Hunter
A single action could be as accurate as a double action but the one disadvantage is the slightly longer hammer throw that could be a very slight factor in a shaking hand. There are so many other factors in individual guns it`s hard to proclaim that overall. A machine rest might show any one gun more accurate than another yet unsupported off hand the one that lost in the machine rest might be more accurate off hand if it has a better trigger or whatever.

grobin

Blackhawk
My comment was from my limited experience with real people both LEO and recreational shooters-not a professional shooter who likely fires more rounds in a week than many of us do in a month and some do in a year! Yes the trigger makes a huge difference and a light trigger with no take up which I like makes some folks twitchy!