Why no Super Blackhawk HUNTER in 357 mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
wildcatter said:
I am no way ever going to be convinced any 357 is a big game revolver, 45 years ago I proved how anemic the 357 is for deer when it comes to comparing with 44 or 45 Colt in the ruger. It would be futile to ever try and convince me after 45 years hands on proving the difference. I won't say it can't kill a deer, but forget a black bear or big cat, sorry but it just can't do what the 40+ bores are capable of with less than perfect shots. While saying that, anyone who thinks perfect shots in hunting situations with handguns are the normal, sure aint been doing this as long as I have! I want what works best fer MOST situations, not in a perfect controlled world.

Well, the 357 of today is much different than the 357 of 45 years ago, if that's the last time you've hunted with one. The JHP designs and bullet construction of today are much better than what was available then. Factory ammo then was tailored to defensive use, not hunting. Today, there are several companies that catalog 357 hunting loads. Adding in the 180 gr WFNGC and 200 gr LFNGC bullets available today and you have a bullet that will easily shoot through ANY deer at ANY angle at ANY reasonable handgun distance. I've done it.

As far as "less than perfect shots" go, I don't think you can ever guarantee perfect shots in the field every time. But the solution is to either wait for a better shot or don't shoot at all, not get a bigger gun and hope for the best. Not directed at you OP, but this has always been a pet peeve of mine--using a "bigger" gun hoping to make up for the shooter's poor marksmanship skills or decision-making ability. If you need a bigger gun for bigger game, fine. But the 357, properly loaded and accurately placed will kill deer all day long.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Regardless, I suspect the vast majority of SBH Hunters have never killed anything but targets. I can see the appeal of one in 357.
I've taken whitetails with a cast 45 acp HP from a 1911. So I've no doubt the a modern 357 bullet can do the job. But personally, I prefer something bigger for deer.

bisleyfan41 said:
wildcatter said:
I am no way ever going to be convinced any 357 is a big game revolver, 45 years ago I proved how anemic the 357 is for deer when it comes to comparing with 44 or 45 Colt in the ruger. It would be futile to ever try and convince me after 45 years hands on proving the difference. I won't say it can't kill a deer, but forget a black bear or big cat, sorry but it just can't do what the 40+ bores are capable of with less than perfect shots. While saying that, anyone who thinks perfect shots in hunting situations with handguns are the normal, sure aint been doing this as long as I have! I want what works best fer MOST situations, not in a perfect controlled world.

Well, the 357 of today is much different than the 357 of 45 years ago, if that's the last time you've hunted with one. The JHP designs and bullet construction of today are much better than what was available then. Factory ammo then was tailored to defensive use, not hunting. Today, there are several companies that catalog 357 hunting loads. Adding in the 180 gr WFNGC and 200 gr LFNGC bullets available today and you have a bullet that will easily shoot through ANY deer at ANY angle at ANY reasonable handgun distance. I've done it.

As far as "less than perfect shots" go, I don't think you can ever guarantee perfect shots in the field every time. But the solution is to either wait for a better shot or don't shoot at all, not get a bigger gun and hope for the best. Not directed at you OP, but this has always been a pet peeve of mine--using a "bigger" gun hoping to make up for the shooter's poor marksmanship skills or decision-making ability. If you need a bigger gun for bigger game, fine. But the 357, properly loaded and accurately placed will kill deer all day long.

I would never try your suggestion, I have hood reason too, and in over 35 years since Ohio made the handgun legal every deer I have fired one at has fallen to the 45, or the 44 Redhawk I used the the very first season, and that was the year the Redhawk was released. This goes for Hogs as well, and am sure Elk or Moose are quite within the 45 Colts capability without sacrificing reliability. It was also the last year I used 44 Mag, with preference going to the 45 Colt in the Blackhawk, if I ever seen one not do the job on lesser game, I would feel the same way I do about the 357 mag. But after experiencing dozens of ground hogs making it to their hole after being shot with the powerful 357, as well as a couple wounded coyote have evaded the small bore, I have very little faith in the almighty 357 mag for deer! I have never hit a groundhog or a dog with a 45, even an acp, that made it to a field edge, let alone a hole.

Maybe i'm just a better shot with the 44 mag, 45 acp, 45 Colt or 454 Casual?

Even with my Mihec 180 grain 640 HP bullets in a 357, as most have experienced, are superior to a JHP or JSP. But when I know how superior cast is in the big bore revolver, in WFN, or WFNHP, even the old Kieth nose to any bullet besides a solid punch bullet, on the largest game in the world, why would I ever think about anything less. I don't drive without insurance either, but the biggest thing is, I like to know I have the proper weapon to take the tough shots, instead of passing on them for only perfect shots. But I agree, if your willing to take only ideal shots, and pass on the majority of shots I will responsibly take, thats an individual choice, I just hate being in the woods knowing the weapon I am using is questionable for any shot.

Anyone who aim's for the ears, is taking a gamble I won't! But if you like risky shots go for it! I will never consider a head shot a responsible shot! First off I have seen to many deer shot with arrows, shotguns, and smaller caliber holes shot through the mouth the face, and jaw, the top of the head, all with a couple inches of the spot between the ear and eye meeded to work, that were left to die a miserable slow death, or maybe struggle for weeks to survive, very responsible. To me very questionable when someone speaks about good shots with a revolver and aims for an area that requires pinpoint placement to do the job!

The boiler room allows anything in an 8" circle to be good enough to let the air out of em in and allow them to expire in very short order 100% of the time, even if you miss your mark by 3 or 4 inches. plus no wasted meat there either. Then I will assure you 2, 45 caliber holes don't require a bullet to have a need to expand to get to 45 cal, the 357 does, and then you need to hope it makes the second hole after expending it's borderline energy to expand itself to the size the old Colt starts at just to get one of the holes to the size the Colt does on its own, to me not as good a choice? But thats me.

But I would still like one fer varmints, should be the ideal caliber, I do like small bores, for small game, but deer to hog's and anything bigger, I personally have experienced the difference for over 40 years what each is capable of. Being retired since 1991, I have had plenty of time, and plenty of real life situations to draw my conclusion since this and fishing is all I do 7-24 12 months outa the year. But they make many calibers and I have seen some use a 32 mag and call it a big game gun, just not me. They make more than one caliber for a reason, it's up to the individual to figure that out for themselves, and nobody else can do that for them!

Have Great New Year!

sjs

Single-Sixer
I'll resurrect this thread because the same question came into my head this afternoon at the range.

Bigger is better, except when it is not.

I love my 45 Colt, and my 44 Mags but I also love my 357's. Sure, a big bore will have more capability but in the right hands and the right situation the 357 is a fine cartridge. Sometimes I am in the mood for a big bore, sometimes for a .22, and sometimes the 357 feels just right.

Besides, I like to shoot even when not hunting and just today I was shooting at a big old bullseye target at 200 yards, off hand, just for the fun of it. I was shooting max load 240 gr XTP's over H110 in my Hunter model with a scope. I was particularly enjoying the weight and balance of the rig with that scope up forward the way many people do not like. I was thinking how much I like that balance and how much fun it would be to have one in 357. That system for mounting a scope is precisely why some do not like the Hunter, and precisely why I love it.

I would buy one for sure.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger listens to sales revenue. In large-volume sales of low value-add labor (low cost-to-produce) products. It would be delusional to think otherwise.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well the 357 barely qualifies for hand gun hunting. Colorado has some of the most stringent requirements in the US! They specify an expanding bullet and 500ft lbs at 50 yards. The 125 gr bullet barely makes it if loaded hot.
On target energy isn't a real guide-overall more deer have likely been killed with the 22lr than any thing else except the 30-30! I've eaten quite a bit of venison taken with the 22lr and a bit less taken with the 357.

There is a lot of false speculation here,, the thing the 22lr has more of than any other caliber as a deer cartridge is lost and wounded animals!! Yes some are senile enough to try it, but it's not very advisable!

The other thing is I agree in a perfect world a perfect shot, in a perfect situation, the 357 could be very capable,,,,,,, BUT! hunting is not usually a perfect situation, or in perfect conditions, this is why I would never suggest the 357. It has a place, but if taken as big game hunting weapon, expect far more situations where the shot should be passed, than their are for when it should be used!