Super Blackhawk!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arthur Roy

Bearcat
I just picked up a used 7.5" NM Super Blackhawk yesterday. I have owned probably 30-40 single action Rugers and this by far is the tightest. It has a .002 cylinder to barrel gap. Zero end play in the cylinder. A very minimal amount of rotational play and I think all of that would be gone with a Belt Mountain pin. The action is buttery smooth and the trigger breaks like glass a 3.13#. Best part is when I push a tight fitted patch on a jag down the muzzle you feel zero resistance between the throats and barrel. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it looks very promising!

Arthur Roy

Bearcat
Don't know it's history. The guy I got it from was amazed the I was willing to trade a rifle for a revolver. He just looked at me like I was nuts! Lol!

Arthur Roy

Bearcat
So far, the only thing I have found wrong with it is the timing of the pawl is a touch late. So I will probably stretch the pawl slightly before I shoot it. Hope to get some rounds loaded this week and try it out over the weekend. I usually run most of my revolvers around 1000-1100 fps. So I will load up some SWC's and some LFN bullets and see what she likes.

Arthur Roy

Bearcat
I have used a hardened steel pin and a hardened plate in a press to do most of the ones I have done. I used to just use a pin and a hammer on a steel plate before that. I found I can control it better by using a press. I only need a coupe thousandths. It's probably only off less than half a degree rotationally. So at the diameter the pawl is working at to the cylinder would mean about a .002 stretch.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The hand is very hard compared to the cylinder ratchet teeth, so the teeth are the parts that wear. A single peening tap with a flat nosed pin punch on each tooth will give the same result. And you don't need to disassemble the gun and reassemble to see if it works, just remove/replace the cylinder.

Latest posts