Why hasn't Ruger made a revolver in S&W 500 yet?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MaxP

Buckeye
Why the drama?

I made the mistake of assuming that if someone wants a .500 Smith that they want it for hunting. My mistake. I guess if you don't hunt, all of this is lost on you. That is why the terminal effectiveness of the cartridge isn't important to you. No problem. Now the question is why don't you hunt? Seriously. Do you hunt at all? Try it, you might like it. It's extra challenging, twice as rewarding, and a lot more exciting than hunting with a scoped rifle. Beats killing targets and usually you can eat what you shoot. This is not an admonition, just a question. I try to encourage as many people as possible to hunt with handguns.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Jimbo . . .right in there with no contribution except your usual ad hominem attack when you have nothing of consequence to add, I see. Nice to see you are consistent if nothing else.
You must have missed my post about the 500 S&W stripping the flesh off thumbs if placed in the wrong place earlier in the thread, making me fully qualified to comment, according to you anyway?

btw Why doesn't Ruger make XYZ is easily solved when you think that they have decided it is not in their best interest to make one. Usually the answer is financial. In this case I think you can add they don't need the bravado either.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's very simple. The OP asked "why?". We all gave our opinions. I don't like it and I gave the reasons why. If you don't like it, feel free to ignore it or disagree with any point that I've made. I haven't insulted anyone, talked about their momma or spit on their dog. So there's no reason for the uproar over the expression of my fact-based opinion. We can have a discussion all day long about any technical reason I've given for my opinion but I'm not going to sit here and argue about nonsense.

cas said:
As for X-frames, I view them as cartoonish novelty guns. Sort of like desert eagles, if you enjoy shooting it, God bless, have fun. I had one come through my hands as part of an estate deal and I could have kept it for a song, but it held no interest with me.
Very much like Desert Eagles. Great for making noise and showing off at the range. Which is fine if that's what you want but for any practical use, there are better tools for the job.

Ale-8(1) said:
All of my limited posts do not add up to one of Craig's lengthy tomes that essentially say that this (or any other round he doesn't happen to like) are worthless, impractical, and indicative of users with less than a realistic grasp of firearms use. "Smoochfest"? Geeze.

Jimbo . . .right in there with no contribution except your usual ad hominem attack when you have nothing of consequence to add, I see. Nice to see you are consistent if nothing else.
Why can't you leave the personal comments out of it??? You can count yourself as the reason why this thread is heading south. You are the one who resorted to personal comments and insults. You quoted Max's book in the beginning. He's here, his opinion echoes mine. Why not call him out too? Or anybody else who shares my opinion? If you just have a personal problem with me, take it to PM's and stop polluting every thread I participate in.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
MaxP......I am 51 years old............been shooting since I was about 6 and reloading since I was 10. I have hunted, don't care for it. Have hunted birds, deer, pigs and several other things. Don't care for deer meat that much, don't care for the skinning and field dressing of anything. Not that it bothers me, can just think of other things I would rather be doing. I do shoot groundhogs, coyotes and other "pests", but I don't consider that hunting, plus I generally do that at long range.

You think hunting is rewarding, challenging and exciting..........I say the same thing about loading my own ammo and shooting tee tiny groups at 500-1000 yards. The majority of my rifles are heavy barrel, longer range rifles with hi power optics. My latest acquisitions are a Savage F1 in 6.5x284 Norma and a custom built Hart & Sons rifle in 300WSM. I do have some hunting "type" rifles, several Ruger No1s in fact, but they rarely get fired. I also own several pistols, about 30, from 22s up. Have a scoped 454Casul and a scoped 44 Bisley magnum "hunter". Also a SA Ruger in every caliber they have ever been offered in.

I also have several "useless" guns as some tag them, such as a .50AE Desert Eagle, a .500 S&W, a .50 BMG, a .338 Lapua, ARs, SKS, AKs, Nagants................Why? because I am a gun enthusiast and enjoy shooting all types. Just don't care to shoot my own food with any of them. Just not my thing, as apparently paper punching is not yours. No matter, its all good, because we all like guns. But I don't want anybody pushing their agendas on me and I won't do that either. And I don't have these type guns because I like to "show out" at the range. I have a 300 yard range in my back yard, so I don't have the need to take them to public ranges

Guns are a "hobby" for me, same as old cars, boats, bikes and about anything else labeled as toys. Having all these guns and not hunting, is the same as the guy with the cool 4x4 that sits 6 feet in the air, yet has never seen a mudhole...............a fun hobby

And the "drama" as you call it was not started by me. So far the caliber and or gun in question has been called..... silly, nonsense, useless, monstrosity, bad idea and a few other things. OK, a few don't care for the caliber, the gun or see the sense in it........fine, but where is the need to resort to name calling and basically berate someone because they don't see it the same way. I'm sure I could find a reason to run down some gun others find near and dear......but what's the point in that. People like what they like

Ouch. I am crushed. I guess that'll show me.

For anyone who cares, I do hunt, with handguns of my choosing chambered in cartridges appropriate to the specific application.

And You might also note that I posted Max's commentary in a favorable light. I actually bought his book and enjoyed it.

Y'all have fun now.

;)

MaxP

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
And You might also note that I posted Max's commentary in a favorable light. I actually bought his book and enjoyed it.

;)

Well thank you, I appreciate it! Which of my books do you have if I may ask?

I don't know why we cannot voice our opinions without resorting to hurt feelings and name calling. It's just discussion on an internet site and nothing at all worth getting worked up about. How about a reset, guys.

gtxmonte -- just asking. No harm no foul as far as I'm concerned. Do you have a GTX, Monte?

s4s4u

Hunter
Why hasn't Ruger made a revolver in S&W 500 yet?

To answer the original question. It is simply a matter of economics. It would cost more than they could hope to recoup for such a niche product.

It would be a relatively simple process for them to offer a 5 shot cylinder in the SRH or BH in a 475 or 500 Linebaugh and they won't even do that.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
I've got two of Max's books: Gun Digest of Rugers, and Big Bore Revs. Both excellent books, and if you haven't obtained them yet, you're missing out! \

Anyhow, as for the reason Ruger doesn't "do" a .500 S&W....why would they bother? They are selling everything they make, as fast as they can make it! Why "ordeal" with a .500 S&W and have it back-fire on them like the 357 Maximum did? Or the XG1 auto-loading .308 back in the early 80s (I think it was named the XG1)?? Not many folks would buy .500s IMHO.

CraigC

Hawkeye
gtxmonte said:
I also have several "useless" guns as some tag them, such as a .50AE Desert Eagle, a .500 S&W, a .50 BMG, a .338 Lapua, ARs, SKS, AKs, Nagants................Why? because I am a gun enthusiast and enjoy shooting all types.
That's fine, nothing wrong with that. Then you can ignore any discussion about practicality. I'm not here to make you feel better about your range toys. That's not my intent and you don't need me to stroke your ego. Some people come here for direction because the have NOT been handloading and hunting for +50yrs. Some might be looking to get into handgun hunting and come here thinking they have to have a .500S&W to kill deer because that's what the local gun shop yahoo told them. I'd like for THAT person to know that he can get what he wants with a .41Mag, .44Mag or .45Colt that costs, weighs and recoils half as much.

Ale-8(1) said:
You might also note that I posted Max's commentary in a favorable light.
That was my point. :roll:

Latest posts