Ruger Six series/SP quality accuracy vs S&W model 15

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Wondering how the overall accuracy and quality of the Ruger Six Series and SP101 is compared to a S&W model 15.. yes I know this is a Ruger forum. But haven't found a comparison forum Answer in my search online

contender

Ruger Guru
It's hard to make a comparison.

Due to the totally different action design, it's almost like trying to compare apples to oranges.

Both brands are quality built. But as for accuracy,, you can get good & bad in all three.

Rugers tend to be considered more robust & stronger,, while the S&W's tend to be known for a better feeling action.

In general, it's what feels the best to the individual.

SteveSt

Bearcat
I have shot several Ruger Sixes, Sp101s, GP100s, Redhawks, Blackhawks and found them to be more accurate than I am. And I have shot several S&W models of several calibers and found them to be the same way. For a real comparison, you would need to pick a couple of guns and compare them yourself. Each gun shoots differently with different people shooting it.

hittman

Staff member
Apples and oranges to compare on accuracy; at least for me.
On quality, I'd say Six Series and SP are a dead heat,
Smith next.

And I feel, the SP does not compare to the Security Six in any way. Nor is it meant to. But everything else withstanding, the Security Six is still a better revolver. And the Security Six is easier to shoot accurately. That said, the SP is physically smaller. There's no free ride. A smaller revolver can be more difficult to master than a larger revolver, but a smaller revolver may better suit individual needs. And on the plus side, if a feller wants a small-ish revolver, and intends to shoot heavy loads, the SP mitigates recoil better than a J-Frame Smith.

I own, shoot, and have carried them all. The Security/Speed Six's are my preference.

I don't want to unfairly insinuate the SP101 is of lesser quality. But there are some manufacturing shortcuts that don't make the SP my favorite. And the smaller geometry of the SP requires some hell-acious DA pulls.

Accuracy? A model 15 Smith is comparable to a Security Six.

Apples to Oranges comparisons are addressed by personal opinion and experience only.

Which one is best?
🍎🍊🍇🍒🥥
:)

Last edited:
"And I say, the SP quality does not compare to the Security Six in any way. The Security Six is a better revolver. And the Security Six is easier to shoot accurately."

I'm in agreement. Particularly if we're talking about SP-101s made recently. Quality control is apparently second to production volume nowadays. Ruger can manufacture nice quality revolvers. The assemblers on the SP-101 line simply can't be bothered to do so consistently.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I'm a big and longtime Ruger fan, and a big fan of the Six series Rugers, although I don't currently own any. I have owned them in all the barrel lengths, blued and stainless. I think the Six series guns are some of the very finest mid-frame .38/.357 revolvers ever made by anyone, a little more robust by design than K-frame S&Ws. I have zero experience with the SP series. The S&W model 15 is not as heavy duty a gun as the Sixes, although entirely adequate strength wise for any reasonable. 38 load. My old 1953 5-screw pre-model 15 (Combat Masterpiece was the official S&W designation prior to the introduction of model numbers in 1957) is a little lighter, sleeker, and slicker than any Six series Ruger I've ever handled.

FLgun

Single-Sixer
"And I say, the SP quality does not compare to the Security Six in any way. The Security Six is a better revolver. And the Security Six is easier to shoot accurately."

I'm in agreement. Particularly if we're talking about SP-101s made recently. Quality control is apparently second to production volume nowadays. Ruger can manufacture nice quality revolvers. The assemblers on the SP-101 line simply can't be bothered to do so consistently.
Given this, do you believe there's a time period when SP101 were of better quality? Perhaps when they first came out in 88 till 2000? Or is there a time period that has more known issues than others?

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
I've never understood why anyone would choose a 38 special only gun (like the Smith model 15 and 67)
Over the same basic frame size in 357 mag.Smith mod 19,66,686.

That said, and I admit I've been a Smith Groupie most of my adult life.
Until I traded into a Security Six.
I love the stainless 6" I have

I also have a SP101 4" from the late 90s.
It's not fun to shoot full 357 loads from,after the first cylinder load
But comfortable with. 38 special.

And I will own one in 9mm when our paths cross,and my wallet agrees.

I still have many Smiths.
But as with most practical applications in which involves a firearm in my life,
It involves a stainless Ruger.

Truck guns are Glocks.
Simply because I won't cry over a stolen Glock.

gunman42782

Hunter
I have had good ones and not so good ones in all 3 guns. Got a Security Six now, 6 inch stainless, I had to ream the cylinder mouth because on two charge holes the ammo would stick going in. Other than that little headache it's been a fabulous gun. My SP101 I didn't have to do nothing but do a little internal polishing and it's a pretty nice shooter. I also have one in .22LR, one of the original 6 shot models that's a pretty good gun. But both of them are few years old, probably early 2000s. Most of the time you can't go wrong with any of the older Smiths, but even then, when they were owned by Banger Punta (May not have spelled that right) the quality was iffy. The new Smiths, although I hate the hole, are actually pretty decent guns. I just buy the plug that you can get on line and plug the hole because it's so friggin ugly! But, one never knows what quirks a gun may have until you actually shoot it. The Security Six I mentioned above for all intents and purposes looked brand new when I bought it, but had the issue with the ammo sticking. (It wasn't from someone shooting .38s in it as I originally thought) Most all guns can benefit from a good polishing of the internals, if you know what your doing. Otherwise let a competent gunsmith slick it up for you.

I've never understood why anyone would choose a 38 special only gun (like the Smith model 15 and 67)
Over the same basic frame size in 357 mag.Smith mod 19,66,686.

That said, and I admit I've been a Smith Groupie most of my adult life.
Until I traded into a Security Six.
I love the stainless 6" I have

I also have a SP101 4" from the late 90s.
It's not fun to shoot full 357 loads from,after the first cylinder load
But comfortable with. 38 special.

And I will own one in 9mm when our paths cross,and my wallet agrees.

I still have many Smiths.
But as with most practical applications in which involves a firearm in my life,
It involves a stainless Ruger.

Truck guns are Glocks.
Simply because I won't cry over a stolen Glock.
Praying for the return of the Security 6.

dannyd

Hunter
Given this, do you believe there's a time period when SP101 were of better quality? Perhaps when they first came out in 88 till 2000? Or is there a time period that has more known issues than others?
Have two Sp's one from 1995 the other from 2016. The quality control between the two is light years apart, so things have definitely have gone downhill, same with the GP's my six cover the years between 1988 to 2020 and the 1988 GP was way better out of the box than the 2020 GP.

FLgun

Single-Sixer
So given the overwhelming positive reviews of the six series, would the fact Ruger no longer supports the Six series and still
Supports the SP101, be reason enough to buy a 3 inch SP101 over a 2 3/4 speed/security six? Given six series much nicer quality and parts not as readily available? If even able to find a stainless 2 3/4 Speed/security six and if the cost was Around $100.00 more give or take over a comparable equal condition SP100 3 inch let's say around $650/700 for a six series as example.

dannyd

Hunter
I love Ruger's, BUT before I would give that kind of Money for one, I would buy one of those LCR's or a Black Semiautomatic gun. Those Revolvers are nice but to me they are still 300 to 500 guns to me.

hittman

Staff member
$740 to $850 is the MSRP now on any LCR. It ain't 2004 any longer.

A quality black semi auto would be a G43 in the $500 range so ….. no money savings there either.

To me, semi-auto's are the disposable items ….. revolvers last and last.

Again, just a personal preference thingy. Different wants and needs are part of what makes the hobby interesting.

FLgun

Single-Sixer
If all i plan to shoot would be .38 specials… would the 3 inch barrel SP101 make any real significant difference in velocity or accuracy range over a Six series 2 3/4?

Latest posts