Ruger Six series/SP quality accuracy vs S&W model 15

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dannyd

Hunter
Don Hume makes a nice SP holster, got this one for my first SP the 2.5, the blue gun is a 3".

010B3A96-CA41-4947-8C35-2D500B20E083.jpeg

EBAD59FF-E6AC-4EF1-8E70-DB3E14AA9DB7.jpeg

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I have had a Model 15 (and a 19 and an 18) and shot my dad's Security Sixes (he had 6" and 4"). The Ruger is more robust but the S & W is called a "Masterpiece" for a reason. My wife chose the 586 when we got her a 357 for a reason and I have always preferred Pythons. For robustness, S & W only has the Model 28 to compare to the Ruger (N Frame).

In a 4", I would prefer a Model 28 or a Model 58 for open carry. I had a 2" Model 19 but it wasn't really a big difference between it & the Highway Patrolmen (M28). For concealed, I have my 3" Python but I prefer semi-autos for CCW.

However, I think a better comparison in relation to the OP would be the Ruger and the Model 19.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I've never understood why anyone would choose a 38 special only gun (like the Smith model 15 and 67)
Over the same basic frame size in 357 mag.Smith mod 19,66,686.

There are good reasons, I think.

First, I have three .357 Magnums:

- An essentially-new-in-wooden-box S&W M27-2
- A Colt Border Patrol (1970's version)
- A S&W M60, stainless

I like .357 magnum; it's a versatile round.

But I like .38 Special, too: I believe it is equally if not more accurate (at least to 50 yards), is pleasant to shoot, and fun to develop loads for.

But I don't want to have to think about carbon build-up in a .357 cylinder while shooting .38's in it. If I'm shooting .38 Special, I want a dedicated revolver for it. Likewise, I bought a .44 Special GP100 even though I have a S&W M29 and a Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum.

Besides, S&W has made some of the nicest and most beautiful .38 Special revolvers - the K38, Model 14, for example, which have a great reputation.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I started carrying the Service-Six 4" on-duty in 1976. It's still a very fine revolver. A little over a year ago, I came across a stainless Speed-Six 2.5" and snatched it up as quickly as I could. I've replaced the springs in my Service-Six, and most recently bought a second hammer for the Speed-Six to cut the thumb tang off of one of them, yet still be able to move it back to original if I want. Numerich still seems to have lots of parts for the Rugers. We have a S&W 19, that's as close as I get to shooting a 15. I like them all, but I've got more Rugers than anything e

eveled

Hawkeye
I have an assortment of .357's all Rugers or S&W. I love them all. You really can't go wrong with either manufacturer.

My favorite and most carried guns have been J frames, my favorite revolvers at the range are N frames and Blackhawks.

My least favorite is my SP101, it's too big for what it is.

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
Wondering how the overall accuracy and quality of the Ruger Six Series and SP101 is compared to a S&W model 15.. yes I know this is a Ruger forum. But haven't found a comparison forum Answer in my search online
I have owned several examples of both. In all honesty, the Model 15 is likely to out group either Ruger offering almost every time.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Waayyy back when I got my first couple of revolvers (A Rossi .357 and Ruger Security Six) a gunsmith and serious competitor told me (paraphrased) "No major revolver championship match has been won with a Ruger there's gotta be a reason"

Well, what he said may or may not have been factual but his bias got me thinking about it, and the next revolver I bought was a model 66 S&W. When I discovered bigger bore revolvers I got a Redhawk and one each S&W's 29, and 629. After these came a long string of J,K,L and N frame Smith and Wesson models.

So over time some truths became evident to me.

As an avid hunter, competitor and reloader I could push the power envelope in a Ruger far more than a S&W (remember the burger/revolver war?) but the Smiths were just a better fit to me, I shot them better and today the only Ruger DA revolver I own is a SRH in .480, though my SA's are overwhelmingly made by Ruger.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I've never understood why anyone would choose a 38 special only gun (like the Smith model 15 and 67)

>>SNIP<<
Same here, for that matter as a reloader I don't get why anyone would want to have both .357 AND .38 special brass to consume valuable storage space.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Same here, for that matter as a reloader I don't get why anyone would want to have both .357 AND .38 special brass to consume valuable storage space.
Wife prefers the 38 Spl.. I prefer the 357. Same dies (with a washer), same shell holder.

Fyrtwuck

Bearcat
I've asked myself the same question many times. When I joined the USAF in 1975 I was in the Security Police. We were issued the Model 15 pistol and 18 rounds of .38 special military ball ammo for duty.

We traded those for the Beretta's in 1986.

Interesting, the disdain or even anger, towards the idea of dual-cartridge compatible cylinder revolvers.

I've been at this game a long time. I very much appreciate shooting Specials in my magnums, .357 Mag/.38 Spc, .44 Mag/.44 Spc. I even have switched countless times between .22 LR and .22 Shorts. I've never encountered this bemoaned carbon ring ahead of the shorter-brass Specials and Shorts. Maybe has a lot do do with the fact that I actually clean my guns 😁 and don't allow this ring to proliferate.

And downloading magnum brass? I never want to have to wonder if the .357 Mag or .44 Mag loads I have if they become separated from their box, are in fact loaded to magnum levels or are downloaded to lady FBI agent levels.

Seems some folks with little experience repeat this carbon ring theory that they read about, with little experience to back up what they're repeating.

My old Security Sixes, all between 40 and 50 years old, have had countless Specials fired in them. You will not find even the slightest evidence of this
diamond/coal/carbon/charcoal ring in any of my cylinders.

So believe what you want to believe. Maybe your personal experiences match your preferences. But in my case, they do not.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
I've never understood why anyone would choose a 38 special only gun……
Because of this …..
IMG_0094.jpeg

Low Back. Fixed site Security Six, 2.75 inch, 38 Special. Not a lot of them made or still around.

My revolver shooting is at the range. I realized quickly 38 Special was much cheaper than 357 yet made about the same size hole in paper, Did I seek out 38 Special only guns? No. But I sure as heck didn't turn my nose up at them either.

I actually sold my 357 LCR in favor of the 38 LCR because of the weight difference and that is a gun a conceal carry often. The 38 is loaded with "home defense" rounds.

I've bought some nice Model 10's for less than $300. My Model 15 cost $285-

xZPL8Bul.jpg

You'll be very hard pressed to find K-Frame .357's in the price range. The load pictured with my 15 is a 160 gr. SWCHP running 950 fps. Why would I need a .357??

As an owner many Ruger's I will say, compared to S&W's, Ruger's are-

Built like tanks,
They feel like tanks,
They look like tanks.

...and that's not a bad thing.

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
Those were certainly the good Ole days.
In my region that model 15 would be $500 minimum these days.
And a 67 if you could find one $650.
There were some LE trade in 64s available a while back in the 400 range but after tax and shipping and transfer, you still have 500 plus in that same 38spc
I saw a spike in price on Ruger six series guns when Hickock 45 did a vid on them a few years ago, they have leveled out at 50 -100 cheaper(blue) lately, than Smiths, but are not often available.
I guess I take resale value of a magnum over a special into consideration to justify my thought process.
And seeing as I don't reload, the price is not that much different between 38 spc and full magnum 357 ammo.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I remember the days when my garage looked like that... Was it that long ago? 1980 maybe? :)
Those in that closet are mostly boxes of empty brass cases for reloading.

What you're not seeing are the large stacks of commercial and loaded rounds on the other walls of the room, the books, and the reloading equipment :)