Where are the Ruger PC Carbines?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

izzyfahzhool1

Bearcat
I wanted to ask, has anyone seen any published differences between the "original" 9 mm Ruger carbine that came out in the 90s, that apparently was not a sales success, and this new iteration? Having a fluted barrel is one difference. To me the magazine well and magazine release mechanism appear identical. Another forum member mentioned the weight of this new carbine; I thought that the "original" one I purchased was heavy also, for its size. I'd be very interested to learn other differences. Apparently, that "original" version, while not successful, became in high demand on the used market. Why did Ruger discontinue it and why did they launch a new version?

mikein

Single-Sixer
I have absolutely no "real" information about the things you've asked about, but through research I've done, here's what I have "learned:"
The original Police Carbine was created for the law enforcement community as a more powerful and accurate pistol caliber delivery platform. It was designed to be carried by LEO's in the vehicles and used when their hand guns were not up to the task at hand. They were mildly successful. Then the "bad guys" started arming themselves with things like AR's and AK's, and the puny little 9mm's and 40's didn't stand a chance against them. So law enforcement agencies answered with more powerful weaponry and the market for the original Police Carbines dried up, and Ruger quit building them. Nowadays, the originals are curiosities, rather collectible and pretty pricey for old technology. As for why Ruger decided to jump back in, I THINK it was because of the sky-rocketing acceptance/popularity of the 9mm cartridge (I recently read that it is one of the most popular cartridges in the world, based on sales volume). Due to improved powders and bullet technology, its lethality has been increased to the point where the US Military adopted it as their sidearm, and more and more LEO's are carrying them both as main armament and as back-ups. Ruger decided to try to cash in on this trend, and from my experience with my new PCC-9, I think they've got a real winner on their hands. As I said, I have no real evidence to support my theories; it's just a collection of thoughts I've gathered over the last few years!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The differences are quite dramatic. First, the new PC Carbine is a "takedown" rifle and the barrel/foreend assembly can be removed from the receiver for cleaning, packing, whatever.

Second, the new one has interchangeable magazine wells and comes with versions that accept the very common Glock magazines (including the 33-round model) and one that takes Ruger's SR9/Security9 mags Others may be offered in the future. The old one only used Ruger's P-series proprietary magazines which definitely limited its appeal.

The new one has a built-in Picatinny rail for mounting red dots or scopes as well as good adjustable ghost-ring iron sights.

The new one is very left-handed friendly as it has a reversible magazine release, reversible charging handle and uses a trigger group very similar to the 10/22 so aftermarket reversible safeties also work. Also, aftermarket trigger improvements are in the works from Volquartsen, Brimstone Gunsmithing, etc. even though the factory trigger is pretty decent.

The new one has a removable bolt head and could, in the future, be offered in other calibers or with conversion kits.

Finally, the new one seems to be a run-away sales success, unlike the previous carbine.

izzyfahzhool1

Bearcat
Thank you, Bearcat and Hunter, for your replies. I do recall that Ruger pitched this carbine to police depts that used the P85 pistol, mentioning that the magazines were interchangeable. I still like my "original" model.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
izzyfahzhool1 said:
I do recall that Ruger pitched this carbine to police depts that used the P85 pistol, mentioning that the magazines were interchangeable. I still like my "original" model.
The real problem was, unfortunately, that very few police departments used Ruger P-series pistols so the interchangeability of the magazines was of little interest.

grobin

Blackhawk
The other problem—besides the BG up gunning—was that the 9mm was being down played as a wimpy cartridge. The modern hot loads were not available in factory loads and the +P loads didn't exist except for some handloaders.

57springer

Buckeye
izzyfahzhool1 said:
Thank you, Bearcat and Hunter, for your replies. I do recall that Ruger pitched this carbine to police depts that used the P85 pistol, mentioning that the magazines were interchangeable. I still like my "original" model.
I agree!

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I had to wait over four months for my local dealer to be offered one. I got it today. Hopefully yours will be to you soon. For some reason I was the only person to order a PC9 from my local gunshop. Patience will pay off in the end.