PC 9 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I could likely find the answer but I'm asking for knowledgeable advice here.
Opinions/experience with +P ammo in a PC9? One of the online ammo dealers has a pretty attractive deal on some 147 +P Winchester labeled ammo. Seems like it would make a good option for serious use of a 9mm carbine IF it's not going to beat the gun too badly.

coach

Hunter
According to Ruger
IMG_7032.jpeg

Both of mine shoot the 147 grain ammo best. I had a box of the +P stuff and no problem, though I now only have regular ammo. I was surprised to chronograph the regular 147's and they were still sub-sonic. The Winchester white box mushrooms perfectly when shot into water jugs and wet newsprint.

"I was surprised to chronograph the regular 147's and they were still sub-sonic."
This is surprising to me based on my experiences. The only factory ammo (that I've tried) which stayed sub-sonic from a 10" AR9 was the Federal 150 polymer coated range ammo. I haven't found any other 147 factory loads that don't 'crack' speed limit now and then in barrels over 7".
My reasons for looking at this +P offering: I feel the PC9 is an easier to handle carbine vs an AR9--just fewer operating controls. Solid stock and longer barrel makes keeping track of the muzzle easier. Longer barrel and open sights are better suited for use if the optic fails. Based on experience, a 16" carbine puts the 9x19 in a good spot for use up to 100 yards for even a novice.

Latest posts