What's Your "Holy Grail" Gun That You Actually HAVE?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks for your kind and well thought out reply, I get it. Just a difference of opinion of what makes a gun grail worthy.

Sadly, I don't have any that meet your criteria. On the plus side if I lost all my guns tomorrow, They could be easily replaced!

The Contender was my Dad's Holy Grail gun, and I only realized it after he died. Why he never bought one I'll never know, I guess the house the kids, and life in general got in the way. Ed

No-1

Single-Sixer
In 1972 it was a left hand Weatherby Mk5 in 300 mag. Having just gotten married the $ just wern't there. Once I had the $ they started making them in Japan - didn't want a Japanese gun. In 1982 I was at Pachmayer in Los Angeles and they had a LH German 300 on consignment. Unfired, it still had the tags on it. Weatherby scope and case included $650. Bought it on the spot. Bought some RCBS dies and got once fired brass @ Weatherby's store in South Gate. Still have the 1972 catalog Weatherby's saleman gave me to drool on.

SAJohn

Hunter
What a great topic and what photos of great guns. Sketter Skelton had me lusting for a .44 Flattop for over 30 years. Thanks to this great forum my wish came true:

Having had the good fortune to have grown up during the golden years of TV westerns these guns were a must have:

And, of course Dirty Harry:

flatgate

Hawkeye
47449442.jpg

I don't have a "Factory Letter" on the gun but I do have a "related" piece of paper....... :roll:

99284392.jpg

flatgate

jzulaski

Bearcat
I just ran across one of these Colt Police Positive Mark V's and put money down on it. It just felt "right" in my hand.

I had been looking for a Colt Python to replace one I sold a few years ago when money was tight. I could kick myself now for selling it. Can't afford what they want for one now.

They wanted $875 for this Colt Police Positive Mark V, which might be a bit high but, I'm going to get it anyway. The action is smooth as glass and reminds me of the Python's. It's in great condition with no marks on the cylinder.

Found it in some hole-in-the-wall Pawn shop in a small town. You just never know what you'll find or where.

Joe

BlkHawk73 said:
Saw them in the catalog back in '94 or '95 and just really liked the lines and the full shroud barrel (hate 1/2 shrouds) Never saw one on a shelf until just a couple years ago. Walked past the doubt action case at my usual haunt and the barrel caught my eye. Stood there for a while until a clerk came over. I was buying that gun! Took 15+ years but I got it. Have't seen another since but would buy another if it was a as good of a price as the current one was.

rando8586

Single-Sixer
1936 made, M71 Win Deluxe with 1 of the 2 boxes of 348 ammo purchased with gun when new. Took 12 years looking to find 1 this pristine!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
jzulaski said:
I just ran across one of these Colt Police Positive Mark V's and put money down on it. It just felt "right" in my hand.

I had been looking for a Colt Python to replace one I sold a few years ago when money was tight. I could kick myself now for selling it. Can't afford what they want for one now.

They wanted $875 for this Colt Police Positive Mark V, which might be a bit high but, I'm going to get it anyway. The action is smooth as glass and reminds me of the Python's. It's in great condition with no marks on the cylinder.

Found it in some hole-in-the-wall Pawn shop in a small town. You just never know what you'll find or where.

Joe

Good for you! Good that you got a nice revolver that YOU really like and that while you yourself even say the price might be high, you put the satisfaction and happiness of owning it before the $.

Not is the same category as others here, but they're my grail guns that I have been able to acquire.

1. Ruger KMK4BL
2. Browning SA-22 in .22 short
3. Ruger PC9GR
4. Springfield Armory SS Champion Loaded

P90 said:
If I had to choose just one, it would be this one.
P90001.jpg

I do not own any P-series pistol. The wonderful engraving on yours would change that. That is very nice.

I'm not a LC9 kind've person either, but I have an engraved LC9 that I will own forever. This SP101 is also pretty important to me.

WAYNO.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I've always had a soft spot for flatbolt M77s.

Maybe not "Holy Grails" but two that I have that were VERY hard to find are my M77R in .270Win and my M77RS in .22-250.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I wanted a Colt Woodsman Match Target for probably 25 years before I finally found a nice one locally several years ago.
I wanted a Weatherby XXII for about as many years until I happened across one
locally about a month ago.

Happy New Years to all! My "Holy Grail" gun is a 1976 Ruger No.1-S .270 Winchester. It's a liberty marked Rifle w/box and paperwork. It has the prettiest wood that I've personally ever laid eyes on! In 2008 I took it to Wyoming and took a 16" Pronghorn with it. I found out that a now closed Gun Shop in the Columbus Ohio area called "Busy Bee Guns" had a run of 50 made up from Ruger. Mine came from a buyer of one of the original 50. It's a keeper, as I can't replace it. I've never came across another one for sale.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
hangnoose said:
Not quite a holy grail but a top 3 I've always wanted. rough & easily cleaned up on the outside, pristine inside, able to get the price down from 450$ to 325$, a Winchester lever 9922 magnum XTR.
Cool little guns. I have a NIB, unfired 22mag

Don Lovel

Hunter
1952 International Harvester M1 Garand, DCM purchases in 1984 for $165.00

Model 1897 Winchester factory solid frame riot that came from a Oklahoma Territorial small town bank vault

Ruger 7 1/2" Bisley 45 Colt

Ruger SR1911

I have had some sweethearts over the years, Ruger #1A 243, S&W mountain gun 45, Rossi Puma 454 Casull, Inland M1 Carbine, a couple of tricked out AR platforms, a couple real accurate bolt guns, but bad money handling and family bills ate them up. I keep the Garand & Model 97 in my dad's vault and the Garand gets to go to Whittington every year which is appropriate for it. I always wish for chance to quail hunt the Cimmaron river bottoms with the 97 again as I did so much of my youth. 45 Colt Bisley is my deer gun, 1911 EDC

Based on the length of time I looked before even seeing one, it's gotta be my Gold Label. It took another year before I found one I wanted to buy, for about $4oo less than the going rate. I don't collect, but I sure enjoy my acquisitions. And I shoot them all.