Added a couple for Mesquite TX gun show this weekend

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
GasGuzzler,, I fully agree with your dream gun show & how your explanation of it reflects what a LOT of gun shows have become. Way too many have become filled with NON gun stuff. I know of one that used to be promoted as a "Gun Show" and later changed it's name to "Gun & Knife Show" due to the higher volume of knife sellers.

I've never been to the Tulsa Gun Show,, but I hear it's pretty close. (And I may be wrong,, but I sure hear all about just gun stuff!)

I have been to several OGCA shows in Ohio. And they too are pretty close. BUT,, at OGCA,, they ALSO promote collecting & allow displays. And they do not allow a lot of non-gun related stuff. In fact,, to get a table there,, they actually have a list of the approved sale or display items. It is pretty much has to be gun related to be allowed. Purses,, it says they MUST be used exclusively for CCW.
What that does is bring members & guests in that may have a collectable gun to sell or trade. And it educates those owners about their firearm that may have a history behind it or whatever.
No jerky, peanut brittle, chinese throwing stars, jewelry or stuff similar to that is allowed.

But an OGCA show is in Ohio,, and a bit further than 80 miles. Tulsa is closer to Texas,, and from what I've heard of it's size,, Tulsa can't be fully seen by anybody if they actually stop & look at stuff.

contender

Ruger Guru
:D
I haven't been to Tulsa either. It's a bit further for me. And I have a mantra; "If I'm west of the Mississippi in the fall, there is a hunting trip involved." So far,, that hasn't happened. I got close once,, but we had to get home for a State meeting of the FoNRA Grant committee.

But I do go to OGCA to just display. I'll drive around 8 hours one way,, spend a few nights in a motel, set up a display, AND enjoy a good gun show.
The display part allows me to first & foremost the face to face fellowship of many other Ruger collectors whom I consider my friends. I have enjoyed this part of doing displays because of how much I've learned over the many years of doing them. And seeing their creative ideas to showcase many rare, one of a kind, unusual, or unique Rugers & related stuff,, is a HUGE treat.

And when a show attendee comes up to my display,, and says; "I have a Ruger just like that," or,, "I never knew Ruger made one of those," or "Can you help me with my Ruger?" it does so much for all of us. For we get to educate others about Rugers.

I have had the extreme pleasure of helping several show attendees with something about their Rugers. One older gentleman & I were talking about his "Ruger Blackhawk .357 & it's brass grip frame." I STRONGLY advised him to spend the $10 for the letter. One year later,, that guy came to the show just to see me & share with me that his gun did letter as a RARE brassie .357. One guy,, needed a base pin for his Tri-Color. He came directly to my display,, and asked a question. He also had found a "bunch of Ruger parts" on another table & asked if I'd help him find the correct one. I went with him, and while that seller didn't have the proper one,, I was able to send him to another collector who had a display, AND a sale table. He was able to get the correct base pin.
BUT,,, the parts table I visited with him,, revealed a LOT of brand new Ruger OM parts. I spent a lot of time cherry picking a bunch of OM parts. At some point, someone had purchased (3) each of a lot of OM Ruger parts. Most likely directly from Ruger way back when. I scored BIGTIME on OM parts.

And another good reason I enjoy going to such a show where collectors display stuff,, is the fact that show attendees,, knowing that collectors will be there,, bring out goodies to sell.

Sadly,, like so many here,, I too lament how so many "gun shows" have all kinds of crap,, that's NOT gun related. OGCA is very different in that they have rules,, and enforce them. It does make for a good true gun show.

In fact,, there's a group of Thompson machine gun collectors who also do displays at OGCA sometimes. I was able to see & even handle some very, very rare Thompsons. Plus,, one was used in the St. Valentines Day Massacre. True history,, held in my hands.

You can't do THAT in a museum!