what should i be looking for, when i buy a used gp100..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rob-c

Single-Sixer
looking at buying my first revolver and a shop has a used gp100 for $526, with the wood panel grips not the finger grips. allso if any one can help me out are the older grips smaller than the newer finger grips.so what should i be looking for? thanks all....

I much prefer the older grips for several reasons. They look better to me. They sit flatter to your body when in a holster, or perhaps it's that they are smoother and don't drag against you as much. And you can pretty them up with an insert of your choice, smooth wood or metal, checkered same, elk antler with "bark" or not, turquoise, ivory, you name it.

And I like the half-lug GPs better than the full-lug, although they are hard to find now. I like the blued and stainless variations equally well--both look and perform great.

All this is mainly just my personal taste--I'm sure there are plenty who wouldn't agree.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Seems kinda high for a used one, I've bought a few recently (SS 4") for ~$450, but new they are near $600 too. Anyway, I also prefer the older Lett grip and yes it is smaller than the Hogue.

Not much to look for, they are pretty sturdy & simple revolvers. The one thing that I would make sure of is that the extractor rod is easily pushed. If its been hit hard, it will bend and be difficult to move.

lark63

Single-Sixer
My thoughts also a little high.
What to look for, well I think you would have to abuse it on purpose to show any damage. Basically look for a clean example. For the most part most guns are never shot enough to wear them out.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
i know its a little high but i have been looking on gun broker and such,the used 6inch gps are $500 and up a few months ago they were lower.i had another shop quoet me $600 for a new gp and i thought i had heard the 6 inchers are on back order and hard to get...

SteelManCM

Bearcat
Wow. Depending on the area, GP100s are going for $549 for a brand-new 4" SS.

$450 for a used one.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Sounds a little high to me, but I can see already that we are in for a gun price spike, due to current political climate.

Note that there are two sizes of the panel grips. Both fit perfectly. The Hogues are still a bit bigger than the large panel grip.

Curious that Davidson's now shows the main stream models of GP100 as "allocated".

GP100man

Buckeye
The regular check out, cyl gap ,endshake ,timing & cyl alignment .
1 thing I look at first but none mentions is to see what shape the cyl notches are in .

Battered may indicate abusive use or alot of dry firing .

If all the above check out I go to functionality DA/SA pull weights/creep/too lite ??

Try to decide if weak springs are indeed weak or been changed.
Grips original ?? changed ??

Last is finish/fit , does it all look original??, parts mismatched ??

Can I fire said revolver before purchasing (on used 1s)

Finally price , how close is it to a new gun ?? ,do I wanna wait for a new 1 ???

Am I, or will I be completely satisfied with this gun ???

Merry Christmas !!

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Looks like it is a 6" from your second post. You are probably pretty safe with a 6" if it looks clean, and basic function looks to be good.

If it were a 4" fixed Sight model I would pay close attention. I have seen a couple Police Trade in ones lately that were very rough. As in I had no idea a Ruger could get in this bad of shape Rough. A CrowBar can be torn up in a sand pile with enough abuse.

Bob

Chris

Blackhawk
Seems high to me, but I have noticed the GP's have slowly been rising the last year or 2.

Everything you wanted to know about the gp

http://gunner777.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/ruger-gp100sp101book-of-knowledge/

Chris

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Here's what you should be looking for: your set of feeler gauges. Forget the grips. They can be changed for whatever you like. Take a few .38 spl or .357 fired cases and your feeler gauges. Measure the gun, write it down. Look carefully to see if the barrel is screwed on square to the frame. Look down the bore and inside the chambers. You might get a great gun, or you might be buying someone else's problems.

Ask yourself the question, how many people sell a great gun that has no problems?

-Carry_Up

Latest posts