What SD ammo are you using in your LC9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ithrowicecubes

Bearcat
After doing loads of research, I came to the conclusion that 115gr JHP Speer Gold Dots are the the best fit for me when loading my LC9 for self-defense.

What are you using? Anyone using +P rounds?

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
ithrowicecubes said:
After doing loads of research, I came to the conclusion that 115gr JHP Speer Gold Dots are the the best fit for me when loading my LC9 for self-defense.

What are you using? Anyone using +P rounds?

Based on what criteria?

GKC

Blackhawk
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr 9mm.

I also have Hornady Critical Defense in .45 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .380 ACP. They are now making it in .45 LC, so I need to get some for my S&W Governor.

I have a variety of other brands in each of these calibers for range use.

Dan Frontier

Bearcat
claimbuster said:
124gr. GDHP.

Ruger does not recommend using +P ammo in the LC9.

The manual says something like "repeated use of +P ammunition will shorten the life of the gun" I figured for a carry ammunition which I hope to never have to use, +P is probably safe. I use regular FMJ 112 grain loads for target practice.

The guy at my local gun store recommended using an ammo made for short barreled guns. I ended up buying Gold Dot Short Barrel +P 124 grain JHP.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=216634

A

Anonymous

I like the Federal LE 124gr +P or the Federal 124gr +P+ Hydrashok round. Aside from the two magazines of each I fired for testing, the high power rounds will likely only get carried from now on.

welder

Buckeye
GKC said:
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr 9mm.

I also have Hornady Critical Defense in .45 ACP, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .380 ACP. They are now making it in .45 LC, so I need to get some for my S&W Governor.

I have a variety of other brands in each of these calibers for range use.

Hi GKC. Did you have any chambering issues with the Hornady? I tried them today and 3 or 4 times they nose dived when I didn't use the slide stop to chamber. No problems in firing at all though and pretty accurate at the 15 yards I was shooting from. I was wondering if the rubber tip was stopping on the ramp?

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
I prefer Winchester 124gr. +P Ranger Talons. Good consistent expansion, penetrates a variety of barriers, and has some damn sharp talons that expand to ~.65 fully expanded when shooting from 15ft. Into jugs of water.
If I loved in an apartment/small, short hallways no longer than 45ft. I would probably go with a 147gr. +P round such as the Federal HST 147gr. +P's..
For SD loads I'd always recommend +P rounds since the LC9 has only a 3.1in. Barrel. Thats exactly what +P is designed for, to get the velocity you'd get out of a full-size 5in. Barreled gun shooting a standard load.
The manual specifically states to "not feed a steady diet of +P rounds," not that they CANNOT be fired through it. It does however say to NEVER use +P+ rounds. Obviously the gun can handle it and you don't need to worry about it blowing up in your hand using +P since it specifically says you CAN use +P ammo. If it was a danger at all they wouldn't allow it as it would just be an opening for major lawsuits. It will however wear your gun out faster. The plastic guide rod will flex and get little divots in it eventually, the guide rod will get flimsy and you feel recoil more, it'll wear down the recoil springs faster and also the rails on the frame.

One way to help prevent A LOT of this is to install a steal guide rod and up the spring weight by 1-2lbs..
I did buy a brand new guide rod from Ruger and had it sent directly to the manufacturer of the guide rods so he can get all the measurements he needs to make a stainless steel guide rod.. They won't be available to the public for a bit but I should have mine by late this week or early next week. I ordered a couple extra since I knew theyd be a hot item, so if anyone wants to jump on one I may have 1-2 of em so PM me if ur interested.
Most Glock enthusiasts change out their stock plastic guide rods for stainless steel ones because they last WAY longer, they improve accuracy, they don't flex so they improve recoil supposedly. Well see how much of a difference as soon as I get it I'll be going to the range that day and posting a review with pics.
He is offering two types of guide rods, one looks just like stock with a rounded tip under the barrel only it's stainless steel, or you can get a checkered tip like what's on a lot of 1911's.. I think the checkered will look better since it'll be the only SS piece on the gun for s while until I can de-blue and polish my barrel to make it nice and shiny, just gotta watch for rust on the barrel then since it's not SS but no big deal, it's an EDC piece only for summertime so I think I can handle keeping the barrel in good shape.. Saw a video on YouTube of s guy that did it and it makes the gun look nice, especially with a SS guide rod..