What made you a Ruger rifle fan?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
the classic looks of the M77 and the No.1. Also the quality of the dark rich blueing in the late 1960's and 1970's Model 77's. I always wanted a like new Winchester model 70 pre 1964 and never could afford it.The Ruger model 77 is everything a Winchester model 70 is and more IMO.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
The first rifle I bought was a Ruger 10/22. The last rifle I bought, many years ago, was a Mini-14 for about half the money Colt wanted for an AR. I have a base load of 20 round magazines for it.
Geoff
Who has been around.

R1895

Bearcat
By 1974, I had been occasionally shooting a friend's 10/22 for a number of years and got to liking it so much I decided it was time to get my own. Although Ruger wasn't my first and only love in rimfires (or centerfires), I had a feeling there were going to be a lot more of them in my life after that, and I was right. So, it was actually a friend's Ruger in the early '70s that officially set me on the path.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
First the 10/22 I grew up hunting rabbits with. Second this 3-digit Flat Bolt .308. Hopefully I'll have some targets shot from 600 yards to post soon. I also have a 77/22 I'm pretty fond of. The QUALITY of all three exceeded my expectations.
7bc2b885-ac50-4181-9078-31659645e7d6_zps2e13197e.jpg

d00938ef-8976-4e46-9d08-ef0c5148000e_zps127ed995.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
Like many here, it started when my dad handed me his M77 .25/06 to hunt with. I got my own, a MKII .25/06, a few years later. I added a No. 1B .25/06 a few years back. I grew up shooting a 10/22 and a Standard. Now I've got all his and many more of my own Rugers. I have his '71 F100 4x4 too.

I started off shooting an early 10-22 with my dad in the late 1960's.

Over the years I have collected guns made from numerous manufactures.

I collected Sig pistols and had most of the models. I currently do not own a single Sig.

My tastes changed over the years and I grew to respect the Ruger name due to the quality of their products and reasonable prices.

I think that there were a few guns that really convinced me that I would collect Rugers.

10-22

MK-II pistol

Single Six

Mini 14

M77's of all generations

No.1's

I only became crazy about No.1's in the last 5 years.

I wish I had found them a few years earlier in my collecting passion. :wink:

Bill

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
My fathers' M77 RS.

I just like the old tang safeties a lot. They handle well, look good and just keep working.

Pieter

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
My first firearm was the 10/22 my Dad gave me.He had a Ruger 22 auto.This was during the 1970's- Ruger dominated the market,lucky us!The design,value and appeal.

Eventually there were Winchester 30/30,Mossberg and Remington arms.Stevens .22 Crack Shot was a hint to future performance.

With a continued strong attraction to single shot,Ruger No.3 in Win .375,a 44 carbine. Settled now with Ruger No1 International.

It's a great feeling to have arrived at such place.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Made in USA, classic looks, and at a price where you could buy a sporting rifle for less "than a weeks wages." Although at the time I was in the Navy, and it was closer to a months wages. First ruger was an M77RS Hollow bolt in 7mm Mag, then a Super Single Six for those pesky Jack Rabbits in Eastern Idaho.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
The 10/22 was the second rifle I ever shot. My mom's youngest brother let me shoot his 10/22 when I was about 9. I thought it was the neatest thing in the world and I felt like I could hit whatever I wanted with it. It must have been 1975 or so, and between that and my Grandfather's Ruger .22 pistol, I was hooked.

I got a 10/22 for christmas when I was 16 and sadly is was stolen 2 years later right before I moved out of my Mom's house, but I never forgot. When I got the chance, I replaced it.
2001, I found a 1H .375H&H and that was the end for me. Beautiful wood, polished blued steel, that was my first Number 1. A couple of Number 3's have followed me home, but I've never really warmed up to them like the Number 1. I keep slowly adding Number 1's. Figure I probably always will now.

Chief 101

Hunter
I waz never a big fan till I bought my first #1...I never shot it as it was too purdy. Sold it bought a used 1B in 6mm that is a great shooter...then another and another and so on...
I haven't shot one that didn't excel in performance and accuracy, maybe I ought to quit before I find a lemon....not!

johnny56

Bearcat
I have a Gunsite Scout with a Nikon scope. I like the rifle because, like the other Ruger products I have, it's simple to operate and maintain and is a great value for the money. Plus, Ruger offers so much information to help own and maintain their products, which for a relative newbie like me, is a great plus. It's great to have these resources available to go along with well made products that will be around for a long time.

JMGATES

Bearcat
My dad has a tang safety 22-250 and a 30-06. The 22-250 was what I hunted with growing up. To scared to handle the 06 until I was well into my teens. I still get to shoo it every once in a while.

I was a single shot rifle fan from the time I read Grant's first volume "Single Shot Rifles" when I was about 8 and had a special pass to use the adult section of the public library (NB: "Adult" meant something quite different in 1951). So when Ruger came out with a classic single shot years later, I started saving for one and got a 1-A .243 that I still have. And later a bunch of others.

I was already hooked on the Ruger "brand" before the I got the 1-A because of the Bearcat that was my first handgun. Still have it, too. And a bunch of others.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Went to buy a Taurus .357 snubby for concealed carry but they didn't have one. They had a SP101. Surprised at how small it was (compared to what I had heard), I bought it. Was very impressed and, since I was shooting IDPA at the time, I followed with a GP-100 and later with a Single Six to save money (right.....) during target practice.

Sooo, when I went to buy a rifle, I had a favorable impression of Rugers. I wanted a controlled round feed and a 300 Winchester. I also like stainless steel. One day I saw a used Mk II all weather online for $599 including a $200+ scope and I went for it. Cost me 50 extra dollars for a 3.25 lb trigger job. I've just started shooting this gun prolifically as, after hunting bow, .22 rifle, handgun, and shotgun, a big rifle is the last thing for me to master. I'm now consistently shooting (well) less than 1" groups from the bench and will be moving on to distance shooting from more realistic positions. Recently improved with a leather sling from the shopruger site (5 stars by the way).

On top of everything, this gun serves as a symbol of where I want to live someday now moving out of the military and starting grad school----out West.