Just got my Ruger made Marlin 1894 .44 back from Marlin repair shop--UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Just a refresh as to why I had to send it back.

1st time out it wouldn't feed from the mag. tube into the carrier. I'd maybe get 2 shots and then nothing. Called Marlin CS which is actually Ruger in Mayodan. Send it back.

My rifle had a gorgeous stock I didn't want to send in with the gun. Marlin CS said they require the entire gun, including the stock. So, I bought another stock and took my good wood off.

I mailed it in a hard case I cable tied shut in the 3 lock holes and sealed it in a box really well with lots of tape and the reinforced type tape. It would have taken more than a 600 # gorilla to break into it.

I mailed it back from FedEx on the afternoon of the 8th. It was repaired and sent back to my door on the 17th. That's pretty good! :) FedEx email said it would come today on the 19th, but it came on the 17th while I was at a gun show south of Atlanta. They delivered it today.

Anyway, the FedEx driver was really cool! I was required to inspect the contents because the entire end of the box was mangled and completely open. It's a good thing I put it in a hard case! The driver said it had gotten wet. How the eff does that even happen? The rifle was fine because I shipped it in a hard case, and they even put it back in the gun sock I shipped it in.

Ruger/Marlin didn't tighten the stock. It was just wobbling back and forth. I can see how the "tang" of the stock where it attaches to the receiver could potentially break if it was handled roughly in shipment. Any questions as to why I bought a new stock to ship with the rifle and not my really nice original stock? The stock was loose and could have gotten water damaged, too. Uh huh.

So, RM replaced the magazine tube and the forearm :oops: I can only assume they replaced the magazine guts, too. My original forearm was pretty nice, and thankfully the new forearm looks the same. They test fired 20 rounds of Remington 44 mag.

Here's the returned box. It's so fupped up I can't even use it again if needed.

All in all I've been pleased with RM's CS. I hope this 1894 issue is an isolated incident, though another Forum member briefly mentioned he had the same problem.

PS: I just cycled 10 rounds in the kitchen and all seems fine.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Glad it worked out for you.

If RM had cycled 10 rounds through it when it was first made, they would've caught the problem before a customer (you) got it.

I don't know why companies are having their customers be the Quality Control Department. That is short-sighted thinking.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Good foresight getting the 2nd stock. Wish I had thought of that when I sent my LCP 10th anniversary in. Thought they'd just replace the ejector, but they replaced the slide and barrel. The original slide had a beautiful finish, the replacement looks like they took a blued one off the line and spray-painted it silver. My original barrel had a cool double-strike of the caliber.
Good luck with your Marlin, hope it is problem-free from now on.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Consider the number of anti-gunners working in some of the shipping companies. I'm going to venture that when they see a box that says GUN, they make every effort to cause damage to the despicable item.
I used to buy parts from a place that marked anything remotely resembling a long skinny gun package as MOWER PARTS.
Never thought about that angle , but It makes sense 😕

sgmtd

Bearcat
just purchased 5.7x28 carbine fired 20 rounds and the firing pin broke off in the primer of the shell sent it back to Ruger 2 weeks ago still waiting to be returned.

Cholo

Staff member
My RM Marlin 1894 .44 will be going back to Ruger, again.

When I first got it back I cycled 10 rounds thru it and it seemed fine. The next 70 or so not so fine at all. I could hear an audible click when they'd release from hanging up in the magazine tube. Then it all seemed fine. A burr?

I took it to the range yesterday to run 100 rounds of JHP's thru it. I didn't bother to shoot the second 50. I had about 6-7 failures to feed the cartridges into the carrier. One time I could feel a click, my son actually heard it even with ear muffs on, and then I could feel about 6 rounds sliding down the magazine tube. If you think about it, that makes no sense. They should have all been slammed down the tube by the magazine spring. These just slid down the tube by gravity. My son heard this, too.

I certainly can't use the box Ruger sent the rifle back to me in LOL Hopefully the third time will be a charm.

Can anyone see the 2 pics of the box in my OP? All I get are blanks, and it's the same on my cell phone. I havn't deleted them from the website I hosted them from, so I don't know what's going on. If I hit the edit button, but I don't edit it, I can see them.

hittman

Staff member
I've seen those pics before but not today. I'm on Safari.

EDIT: I switched to Firefox and pics come up fine. :unsure:

My RM Marlin 1894 .44 will be going back to Ruger, again.

When I first got it back I cycled 10 rounds thru it and it seemed fine. The next 70 or so not so fine at all. I could hear an audible click when they'd release from hanging up in the magazine tube. Then it all seemed fine. A burr?
Can't see the pics on Safari.

That sucks on the cartridges hanging up. I really haven't been watching- but is yours an outlier or is this more common? I'm just now considering an 1894 in .357 to replace a Henry Big Boy Silver.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I have cycled and fired over 300rnds of 45 Colt factory and hot reloads through my 20" Octagon Rossi with the only hiccups being a small number of swollen reloads sticking when feeding into the chamber. The gun is really accurate and handles heavy cast +p great. I think that is real good for the price I paid for it.
I would like to see the Ruger produced Marlin 94 available in 45 and all perform that good before I spent that much. Good to see Ruger CS getting stuff turned around quick

Cholo

Staff member
That sucks on the cartridges hanging up. I really haven't been watching- but is yours an outlier or is this more common? I'm just now considering an 1894 in .357 to replace a Henry Big Boy Silver.
One other person on this Forum has had the same problem. It's better than it was at first, but it's hardly acceptable.

Off topic, but we also shot a new 16" Rossi R97 .357 stainless and it was flawless in 100 rounds. In all fairness it does have about a 65# magazine spring LOL Not really, but it was so strong my son gave up loading it after he'd shot about 40 rounds.

I might try to cycle my last 50 rounds of Hornady 240 gr. XTP's in brand new Starline brass a few times to see if it breaks itself in before I send it off again. If not, I'm sure Ruger will do me right.

This shouldn't happen...

Latest posts