Vaquero 40 S&W New Old model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
The problem is not whether "I" know what you mean, because I eat and sleep this stuff. The problem is folks that don't know any better wondering why their "Old Model Vaquero" doesn't have a half cock notch because 'some' shooters are adamant about calling them something they ain't. "Old Model" would be fine if Ruger hadn't already designated all pre 1973 single actions as "Old Models" and all post 1973 single actions as "New Models". Going so far as to stamp "New Model" on the frame and referring to it as the "New Model" action. Seems some folks just can't get their head wrapped around that and the difference between "new" and "New".

I don't think anybody has an issue with "old Vaquero". It's unnecessary but shouldn't cause any confusion. It's referring to them as "Old Model Vaquero" and just as silly referring to the "New Vaquero" as "New Model Vaquero", for that is also incorrect. Blame Ruger for not being more creative with their names, we're just trying to keep it all straight.

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
I have always just called them "Vaquero" and "New Vaquero" (as Ruger did) when speaking with people who seem to know what they are talking about but if I feel there may be any confusion on their part then I refer to my older one as the "original Vaquero" or "original style Vaquero" and still call the other one the "New Vaquero", "New style Vaquero", or "newer style Vaquero". I've never had anyone confused using those terms.

I guess we could ask Ruger to do what Coke did, we'll start calling the original models "Vaquero Classic", or wait, in keeping with the spansih theme "Clasico Vaquero".

quote="CraigC"]The problem is not whether "I" know what you mean, because I eat and sleep this stuff. The problem is folks that don't know any better wondering why their "Old Model Vaquero" doesn't have a half cock notch because 'some' shooters are adamant about calling them something they ain't. "Old Model" would be fine if Ruger hadn't already designated all pre 1973 single actions as "Old Models" and all post 1973 single actions as "New Models". Going so far as to stamp "New Model" on the frame and referring to it as the "New Model" action. Seems some folks just can't get their head wrapped around that and the difference between "new" and "New".

I don't think anybody has an issue with "old Vaquero". It's unnecessary but shouldn't cause any confusion. It's referring to them as "Old Model Vaquero" and just as silly referring to the "New Vaquero" as "New Model Vaquero", for that is also incorrect. Blame Ruger for not being more creative with their names, we're just trying to keep it all straight.[/quote]

street

Hunter
CraigC":8y8f5fr5 said:
It's referring to them as "Old Model Vaquero" and just as silly referring to the "New Vaquero" as "New Model Vaquero", for that is also incorrect.

Gee Craig, just look at the bottom of all of your post!! It says! "All Vaqueros are New Models!" If all vaqueros are new models then why is it incorrect to refer to it as a New Model Vaquero. It's a New Vaquero and it's a New Model with the transfer bar system. Why would it be incorrect to refer to it as a New Model Vaquero??? Oh! I see! It should be called a New Model New Vaquero!! Yea, I see!! I got to get it right or I will be considered using the wrong name per "Craigs Unabridged Dictionary of Firearms Terminology." That would be a Cardinal Sin. :oops: :oops: :oops:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Funny how some folks can't have a discussion without sarcasm and a condescending tone.

Yes, actually it would be New Model New Vaquero. Because it is a "New Model" single action with the "New Model" lockwork and the sixgun's proper name is "New Vaquero". A "New Model Vaquero" would be referring to an original large frame model built from 1992-2005. This is basic elementary school English. Just like New York, New Hampshire or New Orleans. Do you think those folks in England started calling their city Old York because there was a "New" one in America??? I think not.

It is unfathomably stupid that we have to have such an in-depth discussion over something so stupidly simple. Some folks cling to ignorance like a like preserver.

street

Hunter
CraigC":qkqpulww said:
Funny how some folks can't have a discussion without sarcasm and a condescending tone.

Yes, actually it would be New Model New Vaquero. Because it is a "New Model" single action with the "New Model" lockwork and the sixgun's proper name is "New Vaquero". A "New Model Vaquero" would be referring to an original large frame model built from 1992-2005. This is basic elementary school English. Just like New York, New Hampshire or New Orleans. Do you think those folks in England started calling their city Old York because there was a "New" one in America??? I think not.

It is unfathomably stupid that we have to have such an in-depth discussion over something so stupidly simple. Some folks cling to ignorance like a like preserver.

I see when you run out of facts you starting calling the people that you have a discussion with as Ignorant. What does that say about you. If I thought that you were ignorant I wouldn't waste my time trying to have a discussion with you. You are not an ignorant person. You have a strong opinion about things but there is nothing wrong with that. You come across somewhat loud and try to intimidate people but if that works for you, again that's OK. If someone lets that intimidate them they should not get into these discussions! Right!!!

As for clinging to this discussion, or as you put it "ignorance" like a life preserver. If you count the number of post then I will have 4 and you are up to 8. So who is clinging to ignorance now. There you go again your "life preserver is bigger then mine. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Just about forgot. Yes I use sarcasm and a condescending tone when talking to you but only because you like to get loud and try to intimidate. We all have to admit none of this amounts to a hill of beans. :lol: :lol: :lol:

superlifer03

Bearcat
OK...back to the Vaquero "cleanup gun" in .40 S&W.
Heard there were 13 that were received through Davidson's. These guns aren't necessarily special order or Davidson's would be ordering the minimum 100 or so that are required. They are "cleanup" guns though and any distributor can get them...the distributor just has to be observant enough to claim them before another distributor does.
Mine is 58-99498. Warning stamp on bottom of barrel.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Did I tell you guys that IMHO each and every one of those Vaqueros can become a proper handgun by simply adding a proper rear sight? :shock:

Nobody is getting out alive! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or,,,,,,,,,, a dovetailed front sight.
I know, old post, couldn't help myself.

Well, the main feature distinguishing a Vaquero from a regular Blackhawk is the old-fashioned sighting arrangement. This adaptation was desired by the Cowboy Action Shooters who wanted guns configured more like the original Colt revolvers. That the Vaqueros also featured the transfer bar action apparently wasn't an issue.

I wouldn't touch "Old Model" vs "New Model" again with a ten-foot pole. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts