Traded into a .30 Carbine Blackhawk today!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

snappy

Single-Sixer
Traded into a nice .30 Carbine Blackhawk this evening! It's in beautiful shape and is my first OM. :D I'm very stoked!! (yup that's a good thing :wink: ) Snapped these quick pics when I got it home and they definitely don't do it justice. The 50 rds that came with it are gonna go quick tomorrow! 8)

3ldk.jpg

zhqa.jpg

rf8y.jpg

cnto.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
I hope you got some good ear protection in the deal. :shock: :shock: :shock:

snappy

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Bet ya have a hard time wiping the smile off your face after shooting it!

Bet you're right Contender :) I can't get the smile off my face right now and haven't even shot it yet. Hopefully this afternoon. I have been warned that they are loud.

The lockwork is really crisp and I like the trigger stop too. Musings of an OM newb...

snappy

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
snappy,

Very cool! The 'trigger stop' is the trigger return spring unless someone has installed a rod in the spring to limit over-travel.

Hondo,

Thanks for your post sir, most informative as always. I do feel the trigger return spring doing it's thing, but it sure doesn't travel far past the break! I wonder if someone did put a little rod in there. Or maybe all om's feel like this? I definitely like it, rod or not. Need to edumacate myself a bit before I tinker with this one, then I'll find out. Thanks again.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Be advised that it IS possible to shoot one of those Old Models a zillion times and NEVER get a ring around the cylinder from a "dragging cylinder latch".

:roll:

flatgate

snappy

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
Be advised that it IS possible to shoot one of those Old Models a zillion times and NEVER get a ring around the cylinder from a "dragging cylinder latch".

:roll:

flatgate

Flatgate,

Yes, unfortunately that ring was nearly the only thing showing that the gun had been shot. The guy I traded with advised this sequence: half cock, open gate, load 1, skip 1, load x 4, close gate and draw hammer all the way back and lower on the empty chamber. Is this the correct sequence? I hope the ring stays as is and gets no worse in my care.

I shot the revolver this morning and did have a couple of quirks that I hope are ammo related. 50 rds of PMC 110gr fmj came with the revolver and is priced $12.19, so it's been around a while, (shouldn't matter). :? After only ten rounds I had 2 cases get stuck to the point that I chose to pack it up and get them out at home. They seem to have bulged a little at the base. Also had several primers flatten, 2 of which had a darkened pin impression, and one of those actually shows a tiny pinhole perforation. I know very little about .30 Carbine ammo so am going to search and seek info.

On a positive note, the 10 rounds I *did* get off grouped about 2" at 25 yards with several touching. That is as good as I ever shoot without optics. I like it! 8) Thanks for the kind words fellas.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
PMC ammo is junk in my opinion. The brass is too soft and too thin. Not the gun's fault.
Polish the cyl stop bolt which is usually rough from the factory, and it will mitigate any further scratching of the ring

Snappy, you were told the real stuff. That procedure will prevent the bolt from being dropped prematurely onto the cylinder, causing the dreaded ring.

Polishing the bolt certainly won't hurt anything, as it will, on certain guns, drop a little "early" and mark the cylinder just before going into the leade at the locking notch.

:)

I have a 30 Carbine (new model.) And I too have problems from time to time with stuck cases. They are hard to eject but I don't shoot the gun enough to track which brands of ammo cause this.

No. I take that back. A while back I bought some Wolf brand .30 carbine. It is that green steel cased ammo. Thinking about it those stick more than brass...

snappy

Single-Sixer
Thanks again for the posts and info you guys. I may buy a box of different commercial ammo to try out soon. (Dies, brass, primers and boolits may be a ways off haha. :roll:)

I'm very thankful to get ahold of this Blackhawk. Can't afford to collect them so a beautiful example to admire and shoot without guilt is just right.

It has been an amazing week. :D

Just a consideration . . .

The .30 Carbine ammo was designed for use in a gas-operated carbine that ripped the empty cases out of the chamber with brute force. When we expect said cases to be easy to eject with a little manually-operatred ejector rod, we may be in for the occasional disappointment. I don't find this to be too surprising, nor do I let it detract from the enjoyment I get from shooting my own Ruger so chambered.

Keeping the chambers squeeky-clean and free of any rough spots helps considerably.

Enjoy your new toy!

:) :) :)

Jim Puke

Hunter
The .30 carbine operates at the same pressure as the .44mag with essentially the same case length and I have found them no harder to eject than the .44mag...the .44mag can be a bear with a dirty chamber, also.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If cases stick, there are visible machine marks in the chambers, and especially if those marks imprint in the brass cases, a simple polishing of the chambers is in order, and a job anybody can do in 15 minutes. There have to be some rough chambers leave the factory that were reamed at the end of the reamer life.

damienph

Bearcat
Mine is a New Model. I've found it to be very accurate, enough that with it scoped, I have taken coyotes at 150(+/-) yards.
BlackhawkEagleRight_zpsff6877bf.jpg