30 carbine BH worth?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rockrat75

Bearcat
LGS has a 30 carbine blackhawk (early 80's) that looks like maybe one cylinder shot thru it. Has yellow box and cardboard shipper also. What is this thing worth?
Thanks

hittman

Staff member
MSRP on a brand new one is $850.
If everything's there and in excellent shape ….. $650 - $700?
Just a guess …. Sorry.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Depending on the area you're in, you might find that you can steal it for $400 (especially if the LGS clientele are of the tactical bent). I've stolen MANY single actions from under their plastic noses (in broad daylight)....
Offer $400 and go from there..... PLUS, most people don't even know what a 30Carbine is.
IMHO,
J.

$500 and get 'em to throw in a box of ammo, if they're out, then $450 😜

For reference, the New Model on the bottom was $519 brand new in 2013.

999127BF-9153-465F-A9A1-E5B2ACCB04DE.jpeg

We will see how long it sits there before I might make an offer
That works great as long as someone else doesn't buy it.
You can also shoot 32 Mag. and 32-20 in the new model. The old models have a recessed cylinder so I could not shoot 32-20s.
Mine was VERY hard to extract the Mil. Surplus cases. Most of the time I had to remove the cylinder to get them out. My reloads were not that great. They are fun to shoot and are very accurate and flat shooting..
1701312730450.png

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
That works great as long as someone else doesn't buy it.
You can also shoot 32 Mag. and 32-20 in the new model. The old models have a recessed cylinder so I could not shoot 32-20s.
Mine was VERY hard to extract the Mil. Surplus cases. Most of the time I had to remove the cylinder to get them out. My reloads were not that great. They are fun to shoot and are very accurate and flat shooting..
View attachment 34098
Similar experience using surplus LC ammo in mine. Literally had to pound the fired brass out. Tried commercial ammo, the cases fell out with ease. Accuracy didn't suffer either. Put blue Loctite on the screws about the 3rd time they all loosened.

Last edited:

spurgon

Bearcat
Ive always been curious why the. 30 Carbine is so loud and why such a fireball muzzle blast. My ignorance is based on the size of the casting being similar in size to average pistol cartridges.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Because its loaded with rifle powder designed for an 18" barrel. The Ruger is only 7.5" barrel. Lots of powder still burning out the barrel yet.
Yup. It's designed to deliver 40K psi, more or less, out of 18" barrel. Exiting a barrel only half that long, the "pressure curve" is higher, so the noise will be higher. All muzzle blast is caused by the instantaneous venting of pressure to atmosphere. More pressure, more noise.

Shoot a 16" or 18" barreled .22 next to a 24" or 26" and you'll see what I mean. And then shoot that same .22LR ammo out of a 4" or 5" barreled handgun.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Old mythology that just won't die.
Mention 30 carbine Blackhawk and the first thing you hear repeated is "loudest gun ever made " or somesuch.
OK, so with surplus ammo it is loud but, like any revolver, but with proper hearing protection entirely doable! Personally, a well stoked 357 is just as sonically egregious to me
That said there is very little surplus ammo left in the pipeline and not a lot of commercial ammo on the shelves.
Therefore, everyone I know that shoots a 30 carb. more than just owning a shock and awe showpiece reloads for it.
With standard pistol powders anything is possible from mild to wild and that includes the accompanying noise level.
Lots of yada, yada but the end result is if you load it like a 32 long that is what it sounds like. And yes, if you fill it up with H110/296 it sounds like a full house 327. Loud, but not worse or magically louder.
Most of the time mine is stoked with 115 gr cast bullets at maybe 1100 to 1200FPS. If you saw me shooting it from 20 feet away you would think 38 spl.

It tis what it tis and what you make it to be.

Last edited:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Hope it's not the one I sold years back. The cylinder had one hole bored too deep so it wouldn't fire that primer. Should have sent it back I guess.

Onty

Single-Sixer
$500 and get 'em to throw in a box of ammo, if they're out, then $450 😜

For reference, the New Model on the bottom was $519 brand new in 2013.

View attachment 34092
Is any difference in OD of barrels? On the picture looks that NM has thinner barrel than OM, but picture might be deceiving since it is distorted.

Latest posts