OM .30 Carbine- Custom Ideas

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheLasGoodFight

Bearcat
Good evening all,

Long before I was born my grandfather had an OM Blackhawk in every caliber produced. A few of them went by th wayside over th years. Long story short, over the years I've managed to round up every individual Ruger pistol he sold, one of which was an old model in .30 carbine.

It is a fine target shooter, provided one has adequate hearing protection. Call me a sissy, but the noise level makes it impossible to carry on my hip while working in the saddle or putting out hay in the feed truck. The nature of my work usually means targets are fleeting and fast moving; no time to put in plugs.

Seeing as it is an heirloom gun, and once belonged to a man who would want it to be USED, I am considering a caliber conversion, most likely to .45 Colt with a spare acp cylinder. I understand the suggestion to "leave it alone," but it is simply never used as is. When my son was born four years ago, I gave him a Blackhawk in .45 Colt for his first birthday, with intentions to have Ronny Wells work it over between now and his 16th birthday. My wife and I are expecting another at the end of this year, and I'd like to follow the tradition and give him/her a Blackhawk .45 and I'm wondering if this will fill the bill.

Aside from leaving it alone, what suggestions do y'all have for the future of this pistol?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Do what I do with mine, reload to 32 mag specs. Noise issue solved. ;)
Yah, reloading for it will do a lot to lower the blast issue. Most M1 carbine ammo is built to develop @ 40,000 psi in an 18" barrel. Set it off in a 6.5" barrel and it's gonna be loud. It's just physics.

I think I've heard of custom .32-20 cylinders being made for these. If you want a "custom," why not have that done? Or a .32 Mag cylinder--now you've got a really versatile gun that (with handloading) can shoot anything from low-powered plinker ammo right up to the ripsnorter stuff. I'd think that would be a lot more "special" than just another .45 Colt gun.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I vote to keep it original and add a new/custom cylinder as Contender mentions above. I researched the obvious question of shooting .32 cal projectiles (.312-.314) in the Ruger .308" barrel, and Hamilton Bowen said there is no problem (lead or jacketed.... no problem).
You can have it both ways..............AND you can always find a .45Colt Ruger for the new kid..!!!
IMHO,
J.

veeman

Single-Sixer
I don't understand the logic of taking something that that there are a limited number of, and turning it into something that has already been made. (45 Colt) Yes, the 45's are a limited amount made as well, but they are out there, for a price. If everyone removed an original OM to convert, there eventually won't be any left. Want a .32 something? Buy a NM. Sell the OM to someone who want an original. Rant over.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
+1 for keeping it as is or selling it to get what you want. Another option is reduced handloading...It's the now mostly dried up military surplus 30 carbine ammo that these Blackhawks got their reputation for excessive noise and muzzle flash from.

Snake45

Hawkeye
+1 for keeping it as is or selling it to get what you want.
If I understand his story correctly, it WAS sold, and he bought it back for the provenance/heritage/history/heirloom factor.

Handloading is a very viable option, as would be adding a second custom cylinder in .327, .32 Mag, .32-20, or whatever. ;)

BearBiologist

Buckeye
If I understand his story correctly, it WAS sold, and he bought it back for the provenance/heritage/history/heirloom factor.

Handloading is a very viable option, as would be adding a second custom cylinder in .327, .32 Mag, .32-20, or whatever. ;)
Much as I hate to agree with my nemesis, +1 ( :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

TheLasGoodFight

Bearcat
Thanks to those who responded to the prompt.

No, selling is not being considered. I've not hand loaded for the .30 carbine, and I've certainly not considered the new cylinder. The multi caliber option is by far the most practical; I appreciate the suggestion.

As for the logic in taking something there is a limited number of and altering it, I can only say that the custom revolver world is an addictive, if not expensive one, and the logic is dictated by the guy commissioning the job and using the revolver. Being the heirloom gun that it is, I simply wish to make it more user friendly and versatile.

Multi caliber/cylinder option it is. Thank you, gentlemen.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I didn't think you could shoot 32 in a old 30 carbine."

If you have a custom cylinder done,, you can.

The OM .30 Carbine Blackhawks can't use a rimmed case. But a custom cylinder can be cut to use rimmed cases.

So,, by having a custom cylinder,, or heck,, a couple of them,, different calibers,, can make the gun very versatile.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Y'all are just overthinking his need.
I don't understand all this talk about custom cylinders and such when the reloading is such a simple answer to the only problem he stated ,,,,,noise.
Reloaded with mid burn range powders and cast bullets can make ammo anywhere from32 long thru 327 powers ,,,,,, and the equivalent noise level.
And it keeps grandpa's gun unchanged.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You don't even need a custom cylinder/extra expense, to shoot other cartridges.

Pick up a New Model .30 carbine cylinder (which is not recessed for the case rim like your old model cylinder), it will fit your gun or might need minimal fitting for length. But it will also chamber .32 mag, .327 mag and .32-20.

Last edited:

Latest posts