Thunderbolt vs golden bullet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Richbaker

Blackhawk
chopprs said:
Be careful with the CCI minimags. There are a handful of guns that will not work with them as the case is just a hair longer than standard length.....always good to check first. If they are ok in your gun you can be sure they will function flawlessly! :)

They are too long for anything with a "match" chamber..... CCI "Stingers" is the correct name.

RJ556

Buckeye
I too have had good luck with GB's and Thunderbolts. Yes both are a bit dirty, but I have had very few FTF's and they have been pretty accurate. I have used them in a CZ452, Ruger 10/22, 77/22, Savage M72 and Tactical Solutions AR15 upper.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
I've never used Thunderbolts or Golden Bullets but at the range where I shoot, lots of people have used Thunderbolts and I have not heard or seen any misfires.

dacaur said:
My #1 fav is CCI mini mags, but they cost too much to shoot all the time. All I buy now are CCI blazers (in the 500 pack, not the 525 pack) and federal's in the 375 pack. All of my guns do well with both of those, though the sr-22 is a little more accurate with the federals. Given the choice I would go with the blazers.
I've been using the CCI Blazer in 525 loose pack with good results. Other than the fact that the rounds are loose-packed and as such, can bump others and loosen the bullets, is there anything else about the rounds in the 525 pack that would make them worse than the 500 round brick?

Chief 101

Hunter
Must be a regional thing as I only hear this negative stuff on the internet. just a thought
Chief aka Maxx Load
rifle.gif

Snake45

Hawkeye
Chief 101 said:
Must be a regional thing as I only hear this negative stuff on the internet. just a thought
Chief aka Maxx Load
rifle.gif
People's impression of ammo depends on whether or not they've ever gotten a "bad lot" of the stuff.

I've shot over 75,000 rounds of the Rem GBs and Fed Bulks (I think that breaks out around 20K/55K or 25K/50K, respectively), so I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the "big picture." :wink:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
And I've never had good luck with the Fed bulk that other people seem to like so much.

A local store recently started carrying Peters .22 ammo in bulk, and it comes nicely packaged in individual 50 round boxes, just like the old days. Same price as all the others, and shoots just as well (for me, in my guns, etc, etc, etc).

As stated, I too like Mini-Mags, but yes, they're too long for my CZ452 and T/C Contender. They'll work, but they make working the action difficult.

-- Sam

Snake45

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam said:
And I've never had good luck with the Fed bulk that other people seem to like so much.

-- Sam
I don't like them--they're the least accurate cheap .22 ammo in almost all my guns--but they're cheap, and Walmart (almost) always had them in stock and ready to go. And until the last couple years, at least they were darn close to 100% reliable.

Now, quality of any given box/lot is a crapshoot. The odds run maybe 5 to 1 in your favor, or better, but that odd bad box is really annoying. :evil:

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Donaldjr1969 said:
I've never used Thunderbolts or Golden Bullets but at the range where I shoot, lots of people have used Thunderbolts and I have not heard or seen any misfires.

dacaur said:
My #1 fav is CCI mini mags, but they cost too much to shoot all the time. All I buy now are CCI blazers (in the 500 pack, not the 525 pack) and federal's in the 375 pack. All of my guns do well with both of those, though the sr-22 is a little more accurate with the federals. Given the choice I would go with the blazers.
I've been using the CCI Blazer in 525 loose pack with good results. Other than the fact that the rounds are loose-packed and as such, can bump others and loosen the bullets, is there anything else about the rounds in the 525 pack that would make them worse than the 500 round brick?

I have not used the 525 pack so cant say for sure, but I have read that they are made in different factories....

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I've shot may a brick of the TBs in the past with good results, but no experience with recent stock. I still have three bricks on hand from the late '80s, so for some reason I cannot recall, I also quit using them. Guess I need to go use those up asap.

Latest posts