Target or Competition MKIV?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smackdab22

Bearcat
Hello,
I am going to purchase a MKIV very soon, I'm a little undecided on which model. I like both the target and competition models, but I'm curious what people think if you've had a chance to handle both.
Does the shorter target model barrel feel more balanced compared to the longer competition model barrel? I have shot the target model and I thought it balanced pretty well. Looking at the specifications, the completion model is a little heavier.
Is the longer barrel of the competition model noticeably more accurate?

Thank you for your time.

Cholo

Staff member
I have one of each in the MKII and they feel about the same. There shouldn't be any accuracy difference. If I were to buy a MKIV, I'd consider the blued version with the aluminum grip frame to save weight. The all steel MK's are quite hefty.

Interesting post, as I am considering these same two models. The Competition has a slightly longer barrel and is slightly heavier as a result, I assume. These are really nice looking pistols and the new "button" takedown is a big part of my deciding on the Mark IV. I have an SP101 snub nose but the trigger pull is a bit much for my wife. (I swapped the factory main spring for a Wolff 12#, which was an improvement, but it's still a bit much for her.) I certainly will keep the SP101 but I'd like something we can shoot together. That Competition model (and the others like it) sure is pretty, but the Target in stainless with black grips is just cool looking, IMHO. They are about $50 apart, so price is not much of an issue. I'm almost convinced that the Target (40103) is for me.

smackdab22

Bearcat
Funny, I was actually keeping my wife in mind to some degree regarding this purchase. The longer barrel of the competition model may be a little nose heavy for her I thought. In reality, she doesn't join me at the range very often and we don't stay as long as I do when I'm by myself or meeting shooting buddies. I should factor that in and be a little selfish with my choice.

I can't imagine the longer competition model barrel will make a lot of difference in accuracy for the type of local club shooting I do. One thing I didn't consider is the longer sight radius it offers may be beneficial.
I am leaning toward the target model (keeping her in mind) and I hope to find a dealer that has both the target and competition model in stock so I can test which one feels best to me and hope my wife likes it too.
I had a MK 2 5.5" in stainless years ago and do regret selling it.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have had both, they are both excellent. I myself prefer the Competition model mainly for target shooting, plinking. I like the weight of the Competition Model and the sight radius. I have smaller hands so I change out the factory grips to the Hunter Model grips. Another model to consider is the Hunter. Not like the Competition it has thinner grips with no thumb rest and weight is one and a half ounces less than the Competition Model. It has the same sight radius, and for smaller hands easier to shoot. Not quite as front heavy. Something to consider for the females. It has fiber optic front sights really easy to see in the day light, I never shoot indoors so I am not sure about the indoor lighting. Has the rear V notch sight that a lot of people do not care for. I love the V notch even changed my single six hunter to the fiber optic front and rear V-notch sight.

Just a thought.