new pistol or ammo??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I have been saving for over 6 months and have $300 to spend, well I was gonna save and have more and not have a question to post but my local shop guy called me so I now have to do one or the other. He said that his distributors on ammo were saying slow shipments to no shipments in a few weeks and he said the guns were going up in price as well but didn't say how much. I have one G3c, 10 magazines with it and around 5000 rounds of ammo with about 60% fmj and 40% jhp. I also have a Bond arms and up to 7 yds, it will group as good as my G3c but don't class it as a regular carry gun but just as a yard work gun. I don't shoot much now as I have several hundred through the G3c and fire about 20 rds a month now. I also have a 12 gauge home defense gun with 200 boxes shotshells and 120 5rd boxes of slugs. My 22lr I believe is ok at about 28,000 rds for it. So what would you do? buy another 9mm like the G3c or EC9s handgun or buy more 9mm ammo or even some 12 gauge ammo? Thanks for any help

Sounds like you don't have an AR in there. A little more will get you a Palmetto. Maybe a Hi Point or Kel Tec Carbine. A carbine is faster and easier than a handgun. A 9mm Carbine is an easy 100yd gun extending your range considerably. Also effective on deer. The Kel Tec folds down super compact and light. You might also want to upgrade to a PSA Dagger at some point so you will have broad magazine compatibility with a 9mm Carbine.

Last edited:
I have this same debate almost every time I have enough saved up for a new gun.

The debate is a new-to-me-gun or more ammo and perhaps a red dot or some nice accessory for an existing gun.

How long has it been since you bought a new gun? If it's been a while I say get the gun. But if it's your second or third gun this year, then I vote for more ammo.

One thing about ammo is you can just buy a little at a time and then it doesn't seem like such a big expense. At least that's what I tell myself.

Good luck!

Oh, and I agree on the AR idea. If you don't have one. How about buying the receiver and then slowly buying the parts for it?

It's almost like buying an AR on layaway. Plus it's fun to research the different parts and figure out what you want.

An optic equipped pistol is a complete game changer especially if you have cowitness irons. An optic equipped Carbine that shares mags is a step even further. I would go with a compact prism on the Carbine and a Doktor on a full size or an RMR mount for a compact pistol. If you have a Carbine a Compact pistol would be the way to go.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I would buy primers..... They are the first thing to disappear in a Dem fueled crisis.....Clinton, Obama, Sleepy Joe......and you can trade them like cash when they disappear from the shelves.....For some reason they seem to be more 'liquid' than ammo...... and you'll have thousands of 'potential' rounds when you begin reloading

I would buy primers..... They are the first thing to disappear in a Dem fueled crisis.....Clinton, Obama, Sleepy Joe......and you can trade them like cash when they disappear from the shelves.....For some reason they seem to be more 'liquid' than ammo...... and you'll have thousands of 'potential' rounds when you begin reloading
They won't be any use without the loading tools.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
At least the reloading tools don't disappear as fast as primers in a Demcrisis......though I do remember Dillon being out of a lot of stuff during covid......

edm1

Single-Sixer
You have one shotgun and 5000 rounds of home defense rounds and 600 slugs? Your criteria may be different than mine, but I'd sell some of that and add to the cash to increase your options. I love shotguns, but I shoot birdshot . Hey, if you are training or blasting I'd use Walmart birdshot and save a lot of money. If the HD ammo is quality, you could get enough to buy a nicer gun and ammo and still have a substantial stash of 12g HD

Hankus

Blackhawk
For $300 you can get a Lee single stage press (hand or bench mount, a scale, priming tool, perfect powder measure for 9mm and a Loadall for the 12ga.
Since Lee discontinued the Loadmaster progressive press last year they're showing up for sale in the $300 range on Amazon right now, including dies for a single caliber. I ordered a .45 Colt kit last week on Amazon.

Last edited:

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Keep the money! You sound like you have your shooting and protection covered for a good long time. You never know...propane, electricity....generator?
Winter is here. ...firewood, maybe a chainsaw might be in your near future.

Since Lee discontinued the Loadmaster progressive press last year they're showing up for sale in the $300 range on Amazon right now, including dies for a single caliber. I ordered a .45 Colt kit last week on Amazon.
They're a little tricky to get set up and keep running but once you get the hang of it you can really get some production. One of the Keys I have found is start with deprime brass and remove the decapping pin and use the sizing die on the priming station to stabilize the case.

Hankus

Blackhawk
They're a little tricky to get set up and keep running but once you get the hang of it you can really get some production. One of the Keys I have found is start with deprime brass and remove the decapping pin and use the sizing die on the priming station to stabilize the case.
There's a really good "unboxing" video on YouTube that covers assembly and setup. I've already deprimed a couple hundred cases by hand and tumbled them. I have all the components so I'm hoping it gets delivered in time to start reloading this weekend.

Latest posts