FMJ or JHP??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I have a friend who is selling his 9mm ammo to buy 357. I don't know for sure what to buy as he has it reasonable. FMJ is $12 for 50 rds and JHP is $20 for 50 rds. I have $100 to spend, how would you spend it? This is factory ammo, no reloads. Thanks

hittman

Staff member
Assuming it's new factory ammo brass and not reloads, I'd buy ALL I could afford. Heck at those prices I may borrow to buy everything he has. For me, the $12 a box stuff would be fine. And that's WAY WAY cheaper than retail.

roylt

Hunter
How much does he have? Maybe ask for it all at a discount. I haven't bought 9mm in a bit so not sure on price but google will tell you. As for what type to buy it depends on what you do with it. Also brand may come into play.

I typically just plink so any old round ball will work for that.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
How much does he have? Maybe ask for it all at a discount. I haven't bought 9mm in a bit so not sure on price but google will tell you. As for what type to buy it depends on what you do with it. Also brand may come into play.

I typically just plink so any old round ball will work for that.
All whether fmj or jhp, is PMC or Blazer and all are brass cased.

s4s4u

Hunter
What bullet in the JHP? The FMJ price isn't much less than market right now, but that is a darn good deal on the HP's

DGW1949

Hunter
Not all "FMJ" ammo is created equal, nor is "HP".....Myself, when it comes to the 9MM cartridge, I much prefer 124 GRN to 115, no matter the bullet style. Besides the weight aspect, there's also the power factor, which can vary quite a bit from brand to brand, and loading to loading. Just as one example, there is a lot of difference between Winchester 124 NATO FMJ and say, Remington's green or yellow box 115 FMJ. As a matter of fact, some lots of the Remington is so weak that neither of my High Power pistols would reliably function with it....Meaning that one is obviously much more desirable than the other for my purposes....Plus, even if a given HP bullet expands as advertised, hollow points ain't always the best answer for a defensive pistol because a lot will depend on the circumstances.

You can take it from there.

DGW

NikA

Buckeye
At least three types of JHP are available, which is on offer affects the answer for me. Target JHPs are not designed to expand and therefore for me don't justify the added expense. Defensive JHPs are useful to have around, would purchase either a couple boxes to have around or all possible if they were a load I preferred. Hunting JHPs would be uncommon in 9mm but do have some utility, again would consider a box or two to have around.

In any case, with a good friend I'd buy whatever was offered at a reasonable price.

Mike J

Hunter
I would load up on the FMJ stuff for target practice. I am pretty particular about what JHP I use for carry. So I would either pass on that or research it to see how well it works (gel test results can usually be found online).

Latest posts