• Prefer Bluing

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • Prefer Stainless

Votes: 41 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lgriff1968

Bearcat
While the bluing on a SBH I owned back in 1968 was absolutely beautiful, IMO the current standard Ruger bluing is not as eye appealing what it was back in the sixties and early seventies. Consequently I am currently a stainless fan when purchasing most current models. There are a few exceptions where the model may dictate blue/case-hardening.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Blue. I live in an arid climate and rust is not an issue. If it was humid, I'd probably go with stainless. btw, I almost bit on a special run of blued 77/357 carbines Ruger had a couple of years ago. Wish I had and will snag one for sure if they run it again. Purely a cosmetic issue with me. Old guy that likes traditional stuff. Crimeny, I can't even live with a variable power scope. Has to be fixed.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I voted SS,,but I've always felt Blue guns shoot better. My first Old Army was very accurate. I traded it for a SS model and never felt it was as accurate. Then I bought a 1976 blue O A and it has very slick trigger. And it shoots well. My Dr. And shooting buddy agrees with me. He has blue Smith Wessons that I like. I shoot his blue .45 5.5 BH lights out.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I take that back. I shot 2 SS .45 Blackhawks and 2 SS RUGER .22's. Yesterday. Everything shot great. My Mini 14 is SS Ranch. And it's accurate. I do think it takes longer to break a SS version in.

MaxP

Buckeye
Chief_10Beers said:
I like both and go out of the way and acquire a "Yin & Yang" Pair..............

That's funny, but that is what I captioned this photo. :mrgreen: I like 'em both, but like blue more.

DSC_0118.jpg

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
For me it's not a matter of "what do I like", it's what will the gun be used for. Lots of safe time , padded case to the shooting range , controlled shooting conditions,, a blued gun will do well with that.
If a gun is going to the field , worn in a holster, live in a sweaty environment or the elements in general and treated like a tool , you can't beat stainless.
I also seem to take mine apart fairly often to change things , Pawls ,springs , hammers ,triggers. If you nick a blue gun you call it character, if you nick the alloy parts , it's nicked forever.
Cosmetically almost anything you do to a stainless gun can be fixed up in 10 minutes with mothers mag polish or a scuff pad.