High Polishing stainless Ruger six series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I like to think that this was the first gun Ruger ever gave the factory high polish treatment to, possibly as a test subject for the finish they had in mind for the stainless Vaquero which came along in 1993. Released from the factory in 2009, they slapped a barcoded label over the end of the box, partially covering up the handwritten "High Polish" notation. The revolver is an unmarked "S" gun with dual ship dates of Oct 1975 and Oct 2009, so it was returned at some point, which would explain why they had it on hand. There was a big inventory reduction clean out in 2009 when they shipped out a bunch of older guns that had been retained for one reason or another.

GA32-150-55384-High-Polish.jpg

Fyrtwuck

Bearcat
I got bored and polished a S&W 645. Looking at it afterwards, I hated it. I had it bead blasted and it looked great with a dull finish.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I picked up a stainless Walther PPK/S (S&W) several years ago that I think had been somebody's truck gun, or had at least been in a nasty glove box for a while.
Lots of scratches and with all the S&W PPK/S' sharp edges.
I took the opportunity to clean off the sharp edges and polish it bright at the same time.
You could call it a pimp gun but it is now comfortable and attractive, to me anyway.

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
I've never purposely polished any of my stainless handguns, but the longer I own one the more 'shiny' it seems to get from just regular cleaning and cloth wiping after handling. Other than my Vaqueros and New Vaqueros, I only have a few that came to me with a 'high polish' finish which were two 'J-frames'. I do have a couple of 'K-frames' that have gotten shinier over the years but I don't expend extra effort to keep them that way.

...it being stainless, it can be whatever YOU want it to be, and not hard to switch back at all, in our shops we've done them BOTH ways and yes a few even back again,,,it just takes a bit of time and know how,,,rest easy boys and girls it ain't the end of the world, and we got paid to do it, back then even S&W charged $75 to do it to their stainless guns.........:cool::rolleyes:;)

wproct

Single-Sixer
polished mine up, then added some custom grips, made in Thailand, not sure what the wood is, but they fit my hand like they were made for it
I've ordered those grips from Thailand before also. Not sure what the wood is but it has interesting grain. I had to sand mine down some to fit my hand and doing so changed the grain somewhat. Mine was for my GP100 and I was surprised at how well they fit.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Back to the original question. High gloss takes a fair amount of time and skill. Best not to use power tools. I have seen some done quite nicely, but I've done it a couple of times on guns that already had finish issues and it didn't turn out well for me. In general it does detract from the overall value of the gun, but that's just my opinion.

jav

Single-Sixer
The only thing about not using power tools you won't get the finish high gloss but I agree if you don't know what you are doing best leave it alone

Latest posts