SR22 Pistol a POS?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kermit814

Bearcat
Bullethead said:
I'd like your opinion. Do you think you would have bought this pistol if you had seen these videos beforehand?

Absolutely. I understand the guy who got his hand burnt being a tad upset, and possibly rightfully so, but he really should have calmed down and checked his language before posting a public video. I have no idea what caused the failure, it's just a video of him dropping F-Bombs and threatening to sue. Ruger had some QC issues for about a month with these, those issues seem to have been fixed and if you happened to get a bad one, they will take care of it. That's good enough for me.

My original comment stands. DA/SA .22s are a pretty new beast. If you want in, jump in. If you don't, grab a Mark III.

Bullethead

Bearcat
Msmith50 said:
I purchased a SR22P in early June. Test fire date was mid-May. I had checked lots of reviews, never saw one about the takedown lever problem. All the reviews I saw raved about this gun for fun plinking, which is exactly what I was looking for. When my takedown lever failure resulted in what one reviewer termed "dynamic disassembly" I went home, and *then* found the you tube videos about this problem.

I was disappointed - I thought paying more for a Ruger would get me away from problems like this, but my local dealer was really good about it and gave me another gun off the shelf. That one is a little more recent, and has had no problems after 1000+ rounds. THIS ONE is the gun I was reading about and looking forward to owning. If it happens again, I suspect Ruger will make it right, and by then they may have a longer-term solution to the problem. Until then, I'm gonna keep puttin this big grin on my face by going out and shooting my neat new little toy.

Even after having that problem, I still recommend this gun. I think it's that good at what it is intended to do.

After reading the post by "OSU Beaver" I was beginning to think he was probably right about Ruger having fixed the problems with the latch and the slide stop as he was convinced his gun had these new improved parts. But now, after paying closer attention to the test fire dates it turns out you have a newer gun, at least based on your mid-May test fire date versus his April test fire date, yet your gun's latch failed even though it presumably had new improved parts according to "OSU Beaver". So, now I'm back to being the skeptic that I started as.....this is a bummer.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Sounds like you need to buy something else or you will never be happy.

Try to keep in mind that there are people out there, including some in the gun world, that could break a 4 foot section of 2 inch galvanized pipe.

Someone can sure break or blow up most any gun. If that person is one looking to sue someone rather than work for a living, they are going to advertise it, and You Tube seems to be the place they do it.

I don't go there. I trust the folks at Ruger more than I do some Bozo on You Tube.

You may be happier with a Taurus or something else like that.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
louiethelump said:
Try to keep in mind that there are people out there, including some in the gun world, that could break a 4 foot section of 2 inch galvanized pipe.

Someone can sure break or blow up most any gun. If that person is one looking to sue someone rather than work for a living, they are going to advertise it, and You Tube seems to be the place they do it.

How do you suppose someone could intentionally cause this failure and then control their injury to an acceptable level so they could sue?? This seems to be a well documented problem with this pistol. Ruger does have a track record of problems with new designs. The LCP, SR9, P97, P345, even the original P85 had parts failures. Good CS doesn't make the problem go away or make it OK. Same old story, guys with pistols that don't break think the guys unhappy with broken guns are whiners. :?

A certain number of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING breaks. Just now we know about it instantly. Buy another brand, but be advised Walther P22s have slides that break and hit the shooter in the face.

Bullethead

Bearcat
louiethelump said:
Sounds like you need to buy something else or you will never be happy.

I don't go there. I trust the folks at Ruger more than I do some Bozo on You Tube.

You may be happier with a Taurus or something else like that.

Well, Sir, (or is it MS/Madam?), yours is the most pathetic post I've seen to date in reaction to my concerns over the Ruger SR22. The subnormals that like to yell, "troll" or express horror over my lack of credentials because I've only wasted my time on this forum a few times before and, God forbid, those upset by my use of the term, "POS", (when I was just wondering if that term might apply to this gun.....which even I regret)......well......all of these reactions are clearly from people that don't have the intellectual capacity of a gnat and they don't faze me. But for you to admit in writing that you reject any evidence contrary to your blind loyalty to Ruger because it's on YouTube is amazing to me. Apparently the people that have acknowledged their experience with takedown latch failures in this thread are liars too, just like those folks in the videos I referenced. It must be a conspiracy against Ruger....right? I pray a moderator with some common sense will pull the plug on this thread before anymore posters like you show up.

Bullethead

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
louiethelump said:

How do you suppose someone could intentionally cause this failure and then control their injury to an acceptable level so they could sue?? This seems to be a well documented problem with this pistol. Ruger does have a track record of problems with new designs. The LCP, SR9, P97, P345, even the original P85 had parts failures. Good CS doesn't make the problem go away or make it OK. Same old story, guys with pistols that don't break think the guys unhappy with broken guns are whiners. :?

A certain number of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING breaks. Just now we know about it instantly. Buy another brand, but be advised Walther P22s have slides that break and hit the shooter in the face.

Finally, the voice of reason speaks up.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I never said or suggested anyone intentionally broke anything. Where did you get that? For someone to break something does not require them to do it intentionally. A foolishly loaded round of reloaded ammo will break a perfectly good gun for example.

Things do fail. I never said they were whiners. Where did you get that? I never said it.

ARE YOU MY WIFE RESPONDING TO THIS POST IN DISGUISE???????? LOL!!!

She reads into what I say to and "hears" what she wants to hear even though it was not said.

I have an associate at work that took a beautiful 600 plus dollar, pristine K22 8 3/8" pinned barrel and turned into a 300 dollar piece of junk in under a month. He breaks everything he touches. He is not alone.

A company that makes a lot of guns will have a percentage with problems. I am not sure what you are wanting to argue about, as we came to the same final conclusion: If you are that concerned about a You Tube video of someone with a broken gun, DO NOT BUY ONE! (which leads me to wonder why they happened to be filming the shooting session in the first place. I don't film mine. Do you film all your range sessions????)

Bullet head:

I am glad you liked my post. I am here for you.............. You seem a bit intolerant to opinions that are not yours. Do you have issues with others disagreeing with you? So you put blind faith in You Tube posts???? That kind of figures.

Get over yourself. I doubt a moderator is going to pull MY post where I suggest we give Ruger the benefit of the doubt, as opposed to you posting a presumption that a new Ruger product that in my experience with it works just fine as a "POS". THAT should warm Ruger people right up to you! YESSIR!!!!

If you don't want comment from others, send private e-mails and don't post on open forums.

Have a nice day, and BUY TAURUS!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cholo

Staff member
ArmedinAZ said:
How do you suppose someone could intentionally cause this failure and then control their injury to an acceptable level so they could sue??

The original link was done by a clown who posted it as "Grim Reviews". There's been a lot of debate about using Stinger's in the Mark series. If they're not acceptable in a Mk series, what does Ruger's manual say about using them in the lightweight SR22? If I wanted to intentionally break an SR22, I'd be shooting it with Stingers, or I'm sure I could find a way to make it fail so I could post a vulgar rant and threaten to sue.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I watched the GrimReviews video again. First it sounds like his vocabulary is pretty limited? That turns me off right away. Not that I'm a prude, but on Youtube is not the place for that kind of language. Just like the POS title to this thread.
It looks to me to be an ammunition problem as much as a mechanical problem? Can't tell for sure with the limited information from this guy. I see also this is his one and only video posted. Not much of a reviewer.
Good luck sueing Ruger with what you have for info available. Also as a sidebar, maybe if he used Magazines instead of "Clips" he would have had better luck? :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bullethead said:
Well, Sir, (or is it MS/Madam?), yours is the most pathetic post I've seen to date in reaction to my concerns over the Ruger SR22.....because I've only wasted my time on this forum a few times before...
And the troll finally shows his face. So predictable. :lol:

louiethelump

Buckeye
The poster probably is the guy in the video trying to promote it.

Just a guess.

Don't really care one way or the other.

Signed.

Pathetic poster Louie :wink: :wink: :wink:

PS I just noticed he/she/it is from the San Francisco area; home of Nancy Pelosi. That explains a LOT! LOL! :roll: :roll:

M3Stuart

Bearcat
I'm one of the people who had the "dynamic disassembly" issue.

I bought my SR22P about 4 or 5 months ago. I read and heard that the sig mosquito and walther P22 were lesser guns so I went with the Ruger. I really like Rugers and have a couple MkIIs, a MkIII, and a couple 10/22s. A brother has a P89 (I think it is). All are great guns.

We were shooting from a table and a friend was shooting the SR22. I saw the slide fly forward, spring and rod going with it. So I inspected the parts and didn't notice anything broken - only that the takedown lever was depressed. He had his thumbs along that side and I asked him if maybe he had inadvertantly depressed (he has big hands) the takedown lever between shots - he said he didn't know/didn't think so. I reassembed it and fired it while holding it on the other side of a tree. Same thing.

Upon closer inspection the takedown lever (part no. 36 in the diagram - I think it is) was broken in half horizontally.

I called Ruger, they emailed me a shipping label, I sent it out on a Tuesday and had a repaired gun back in my hand by Friday of the same week. Note said they replaced the take-down lever, slide and test-fired it.

Unlike the few people who may be hyperventilating about the issue; I didn't really think it was any big deal. The slide only retracts to the takedown position and then, because the spring is pushing it forward, flies off the gun - to the front, away from the shooter, direction.

My experience would not in any way prevent me from purchasing another Ruger.

That's my 2 cents.

Edit: we actually found the broken off piece of the takedown lever on the table. I sent the broken-off piece back to Ruger too.

El Peligro Loco

Bearcat
I would consider the SR22 a solid gun. Mine has been nothing short of awesome. That said, there's bound to be a bad apples. Call his single SR22 a POS? I guess you could, which would be fitting because they were made for one another.

louiethelump

Buckeye
IT was not even his. My whole point is that he is wanting us to agree it is a POS based an a you tube video, and would we have bought ours if we had seen the you tube video. I don't pay any attention to you tube videos as many are fake or staged, and it is not fair to Ruger to base opinion of many thousands of guns on a few with problems. There are going to be some issues with any gun, and certainly with new models. If they fix them when the problem shows up, and it appears they are doing that, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
It would be really interesting to know how many individual pistols are tested and how many rounds are fired before the design is OK'd for production. It's hard to imagine these issues don't show up during testing.

louie, hardcore Ruger guys will give the benefit of the doubt, others maybe not so much.

I'm about to trade a perfectly functioning Walther P22 for one of these Ruger POS pistols :oops:

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
. . . I'm about to trade a perfectly functioning Walther P22 for one of these Ruger POS pistols :oops:
Maybe you should hold on to that P22 . . . according to the internet, you have a rare "perfectly functioning" sample :)

Sorry, couldn't resist lol.

BogieDog

Bearcat
I bought my SR22P in May and have been 100% satisfied. I recognize that I'm still in a honeymoon period with it, but I've been impressed with glowing on-line reviews from folks I respect.

The pistol is well balanced, light and incredibly accurate. and, it looks good!

My advice, if you have a doubt about it - buy something else. There are plenty of excellent competitors out there. No amount of rhetoric from others should sway you.

Good luck!
WHK

M3Stuart

Bearcat
Hey, by all means, if you have any doubts about the SR22, then feel free to buy something else!

That's why the SR22P is the only polymer gun on the planet right now that's suffering from production shortages. They can't make them fast enough to fill all the orders - because one bozo posted a youtube video.

Yea, sure, go have fun with that P22 or that Sig Mosquito.... Let us know how that works out for you.

Edit: I do not mean to disparage the P22 or Sig. I hear they are good guns. But, hey, this is a Ruger forum. So I think I'm within the accepted standards by saying that I think the SR22P is the best of the lot. Again, no harm intended. If I offended anybody, then I do apologize. Everybody should get to be happy with their personal firearm selection.

CraigC

Hawkeye
My P22 has been very good. After the first couple hundred rounds, it has been dead reliable. It ain't a target pistol but a fun plinker. The Ruger looks to be a better gun all the way around. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I didn't already have the Walther.

Latest posts