Optic recommendations for a target pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Looking to put an optic on my mark IV. I have never had an optic on a pistol but would like to try one. I'm not looking to spend a lot or need the highest quality either, I have never shot with one I may not like it. If I like it then I can look for higher quality. Do you recommend a reflex sight or a red dot? Some magnification, like x1, x2 or no magnification? This is not a match pistol, I don't do that, I just mostly punch holes in paper and a ground squirrel or two every once in a while.

I really don't even know where to start. Please help me get pointed in the right direction.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I have red dots from Dagger Defense, they are light weight inexpensive and very reliable. I use one on a MK-IV 22/45 target and 1 on a MK-II gov tar model I compete in bullseye with the MK II and have the MK-IV for fun shooting and plates. The Red dots absolutely reliable.

9x19

Hunter
I put a budget friendly ADE red-dot on mine. 6moa.

KQjeV8E.jpg

In a red dot, I find the tube style (think Ultradot) easiest to use. It is easier for me to "find" the red dot, looking through the tube. Ultradot brand has been at the top of the heap in this category for decades for a basic red dot, and the basic models are not overly expensive. I've got a pair of them. One is slightly older, but it still works. I liked it well enough that I purchased my "new" one in 1991... 😂

In the reflex style, I personally have a harder time "finding" the dot. In fairness, I probably haven't shot it enough to make it feel intuitive. For ME, if I can't find my dot in a reflex sight, I virtually always need to point downward a little bit.

Regarding dot size- think about the distance you'll be shooting, and how big a dot you want to "see."

Example 1- If you have a 2 MOA dot, it's only covering 1/2" at 25 yards. Precise for squirrel hunting, but harder to find for rapid-fire plinking.

Example 2- If you have an 8 MOA dot, it's covering 2" of target at 25 yards. You'll cover a squirrel's head at 25 yards, but the dot is easier to find for rapid-fire plinking.

In "traditional" scopes, magnification is available from 1X (no magnification, just nice crosshairs to see) on up to 12X. You need to have your eye better centered behind the scope, or your view "blacks out." If my arms are wobbling, my view in the scope is vacillating between crosshairs and blacked out. This can be distracting/frustrating.

It's hard for me to hold anything beyond 2X still, with my arms extended. Resting against a tree trunk while squirrel hunting, I might get away with 4-6X. With my Contender on a bipod and lying in the prone position, I can utilize high magnification…

I've accumulated a decent collection of optical sights for handguns. Each has its ideal place/time.

I'm at a point in life where I only buy quality stuff. Life's too short (for me, anyway) to buy crap, and constantly have troubles. With a little scouting, you can find bargains on the Classifieds here, eBay, etc.

Within the last month, I bought a Leupold M8 fixed 2X LER (long eye relief) pistol scope for $160 shipped, on one of the forums. Admittedly that was a sweet deal, but they're out there…

A 2X Leupold should last a lifetime, and its lifetime warranty reflects that. An Ultradot sight could very well last a lifetime, and its lifetime warranty reflects that (original purchaser only… keep your receipt!😂).

Whatever you choose, look at mounting options carefully. There are tons of options to mount various sights on various guns. Some of the older/cheaper mounts (especially "universal" mounts) are cartoonishly large, high, etc. I like a setup that looks "clean," and sits as close to the bore as reasonably possible.

I'm not always a huge fan of the classic Weaver mounts, but they're cheap, lightweight, and widely available for a huge variety of applications. They also sit nice and low, with a ton of various rings that will work with them…💡

My Burris FastFire sits on a mount that's inserted into the rear sight dovetail of my Ruger MKII. Not a quick-change setup, but it's absolutely "sano," as the street rod/chopper guys would say... 😎

We have an "embarrassment of riches," as far as options! 👍

Last edited:
My question is: At what distance do you intend to do most of your shooting?
Several years ago, I traded for a new 22/45 III that took a while to 'come to itself' accuracy wise. I ended up with a 3x pistol scope mounted in an attempt to take as much operator error out as possible. I wouldn't recommend this much magnification for general use under 50 yards.
This pistol now carries a 3MOA Burris FastFire dot which is much better suited to typical 22 handgun range but still useable @ 100 yards. My old beater 22/45 II has a similar sized ADE brand dot mounted using the rear sight dovetail and it seems solid and dependable.

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the info. You have helped me narrow things down to a few good options.

I typically only buy quality as well, cheap things tend to cause nothing but frustration. I just wasn't sure I wanted to spend $300 -$400 on something that I may not like and doesn't get used. But I don't want junk that turns me off to the idea of red dots before seeing what a quality one can do for you. I guess you get what you pay for.

Most of my shooting will be 25-50 yards. If I want to go out beyond that I will use my 10/22.

Do you have astigmatism? Even with proper glasses, sometimes my dot optics become a 3 speck aiming point.

That is why I chose the green dot instead over the red dot version. I found with my astigmatism that the starburst is greatly diminished if not non exsistant with the green dot, and adjusting the brightness setting helps as well. Also, the Holosun I use has three choices, 32MOA circle and dot, a 2MOA dot only or a 32MOA circle only. The circle/dot combo gives quick and accurate site acquisition for slaying steel.

6AE4BEE4-5642-4E2B-9AFA-200558942E20.png

I guess I didn't know that about the green illumination. Another thing to remember.
Some of the higher priced dot optics seem to have less of the multidot/starburst problems.

good info and answers above BUT if I were YOU< I would try one first, and stay away from any with "Magnification", unless you got the grip of 'Atlas' or any sort of 'rest', I could NEVER hold any in all my years,,,STEADY!!! :unsure: ;)
....all wiggle, wobbly....:cool:

Latest posts