SR22 Magazine issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

unspellable

Bearcat
Any body have trouble loading the SR22 magazine? Not an issue with the pistol, just the magazine by itself.

unspellable

Bearcat
Cannot get Winchesters in the magazine at all. Other brands require a fight and finagling. If it were not for having no such problem with other magazines during the last sixty years, I'd say the rims were too big.

hittman

Staff member
ALL brands of 22LR should fit in the mag, without exception.
This a brand new mag? Spread the top apart a smidgen.

You do realize you have to push the rim down in the gap in front of the magazine's 'lips' and then slide the cartridge back to the rear of the magazine???
I'm holding my SR22 magazine in hand with a Winchester 22lr round slipping easily in place at the moment.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Same here..... all brands of 22 fit well in my mags..... you might need to 'tweak' that mag open a bit at the top

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
SR22 mags have a follower button, just push down on that a little and the rounds should go in easily. I shoot enough that I use a Hilljak loader to push the button down (as my thumbs would get a little sore over the course of shooting 300 to 500 rounds at a range session). My Mark IIs are easy, just push the button all the way down and drop the rounds in. The SR22 is a little more finicky, because of the slight stagger in the mag, so you have to push it down a little for each round. If you push it all the way down, like the Mark IIs, the rounds can turn as they drop in and not stack properly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Ruger makes their .22 magazines to be disassembled for cleaning or possibly tuning.
Rough edges sometimes might need a bit of light smoothing.

unspellable

Bearcat
I've been loading various 22 magazines for many years and never had this problem. Called Ruger and the lady said they didn't recommend Winchesters? That rues out Browning 22s since they are loaded by Winchester. Cannot get Winchesters in period. With other brands it takes finagling and a bit of force to get them in. Shouldn't be like that.

I'm stymied. Beginning to agree that it must be a defective magazine.
I load mine by setting the mag base in the palm of one hand and using thumb and index finger to pull the follower down using the little tab(s) while dropping cartridges in with the other hand. Works just fine.

Latest posts